should i invest in more RAM?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi

i bought a HP desktop about a year and half ago for around £650
(i5-6400 cpu @2.70ghz, 8gb ram)

i'm using Bitwig and really getting into my plugins lately and have invested my hard earned cash in a lot of top vst's. i'm now noticing that the performance graph is now passing 50% after 3-4 tracks when using these plugins.

should i buy more RAM to fix this or is it pointless?

a friend of mine said its pointless just buying more RAM and it could actually make things worse

is this true?

Also, i have already optimized my windows, from tutorials off of the internet

Performance is most like due to CPU, not memory.

As long as you are running just bitwig. You should be able to load a few plugins.

Your motherboard has an LGA 1151 intel socket. You could always upgrade the CPU in that.

Contact HP or look online and ask what is the fastest CPU you can upgrade to.

Having more RAM will never make things worse.

At least 16gb would be nice.

Cheers.

1. Launch Task Manager
2. Check what is your maximum RAM usage
3. Close thread
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Upgrade the CPU and buy a Nuctua Cooler. Get a K version and overclock it. Check the motherboard chipset supports this. What Turbo do you have? Have you checked you're running in it? 2.7 is no good, regardless to core count.

I wouldn't worry unless you're getting issues or having to set your ASIO extremely big. The 1151 has some really good fast chips.
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”