Anyone considering Microsoft Surface Studio 2 for their DAW?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Seems quite interesting, maybe in few years when prices drop and DAW's get more touch improved? 8)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/surfa ... verviewtab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ489u3w7i0
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

The idea that a touch screen is superior to keyboard and mouse for those who just try to do their job is marketing nonsense. If it's a game, then the conclusion might be different, and one may even have an angry birds plugin running inside a DAW.
~stratum~

You get both, I don't know from where are you getting this stuff?

I can see benefits for mixing, setting levels or tweaking synths, launching clips, beats the mouse experience by far IMO for that tasks, that's from top of my head, but you get keyboard and mouse, you can use it as regular desktop, so it's moot point.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:25 pm You get both, I don't know from where are you getting this stuff?

I can see benefits for mixing, setting levels or tweaking synths, launching clips, beats the mouse experience by far IMO for that tasks, that's from top of my head, but you get keyboard and mouse, you can use it as regular desktop, so it's moot point.
Well, the problem is that newer CPU's aren't getting much faster anymore so they have to spend their time with uninteresting ideas.
~stratum~

Microsoft isn't making CPU's, so I really don't know what your problem is, this thing is natural evolution and I even taught Apple will come up with it first for iMac now when everything become uninteresting/came down to horsepower, so yeah, I'm quite interested in this concept.

Only Apple is capable of making "interesting" things without using more horsepower because their cult follows whatever nonsense they do. For the rest, this will be a problem.
~stratum~

Yawn, okay, not interested, thank you for your contribution.

Zexila wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:04 pm Yawn, okay, not interested, thank you for your contribution.
No problem :lol: . But honestly, that's the way things are.
~stratum~

Things are far from perfect, but if I looked at life like that all the time, suicide would be the best option.

So yeah, either way, I'm glad things evolve in this direction and hope one day it will become new standard with specs and prices, right now I'm super interested in tablet device for the same reasons I would use this thing, so would rather have my desktop as centerpiece instead of using 2 or more devices, because easily it can replace some controllers too.

Incredibly late to the party, but yes; this plus DTouch plus a decent type-c interface would be a very interesting experiment. I'm actually surprised no one has done it yet (could be a "cheap" Raven MTX alternative).

It rarely goes well for a company that is last to the table with an idea, especially when sales of the Surface have remained well below Microsoft's targets.

I would imagine that this (and eventually the Surface) will go the same way as their Nokia acquisition.
Sweet child in time...

Looks cool, well done MS, more innovative than current Apple.

Very late reply, but I’m about to start using a Surface Studio 2 with Cakewalk as my DAW computer host, with a much more powerful server PC connected using Vienna Ensemble Pro. I got the idea from the Cakewalk website where they show the Surface Studio in the marketing photos to communicate that Cakewalk is touch enabled. The GUI looks great on the 3:2 surface screen and with all virtual instrument processing offloaded to a second computer, the Surface Studio should handle the DAW and audio tracks with no problem. The Surface has a 2TB M.2 ssd with 3GB and 1GB/s read/write and and i7 7820HQ processor with 32GB of RAM.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”