New Mac Mini

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looks like the RAM and SSD can be swapped out. So get a basic spec model with a good processor, get the RAM and SSD separately, and you'll be good to go for another 6 years. (Which is the current age of the last usable Mac Mini.) Sounds like a plan. But 3.5K for a factory-pimped Mini ain't happening, Tim. Let's just hope a Mac Mini with swappable RAM and SSD wasn't Cook's interpretation of "modular Mac Pro". :D
Confucamus.

It should also be compatible with touchscreens that have usb out.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Rockatansky wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:46 pm Looks like the RAM and SSD can be swapped out. So get a basic spec model with a good processor, get the RAM and SSD separately, and you'll be good to go for another 6 years. (Which is the current age of the last usable Mac Mini.) Sounds like a plan. But 3.5K for a factory-pimped Mini ain't happening, Tim. Let's just hope a Mac Mini with swappable RAM and SSD wasn't Cook's interpretation of "modular Mac Pro". :D
AFAIK only the RAM can be swapped out.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:33 pm AFAIK only the RAM can be swapped out.
I didn't watch the presentation, so no clue if they announced the SSD was fixed. But from the images on the product page the thing under the RAMs looks like some sort of mini PCIe SSD, and those two bolts look a lot like something a T6 or T8 could unscrew.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Confucamus.

We need to know the answer to the storage question for sure. Good thing that ram can be swapped though, those prices, sheesh!

Yep...on the Australian store it tops out at over $6000 AU!!!! :o

RIP affordable Mac.
Image Image Image Image

It has 3 Thunderbolt3 ports , I think you can get a fast Thunderbolt3 external HDD or SSD right ? Funny it also has a headphone jack too ..... $799 and $1099 ouch .....before the ram and external drive .

sprnva wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:12 am RIP affordable Mac.
affordable mac?
~stratum~

I had an eye on this as well. Unfortunately, they start at $799, so, with a Mac keyboard, mouse, and a decent display, I can't see a compelling reason to not go for a iMac. Shame they didn't stick to the "affordable" scheme, like with the former generation of Mac Minis.

stratum wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:36 am
affordable mac?
Hehe, right.

affordable mac?
Checking, the entry level Mac Mini in 2014 was £399.

So not necessarily cheap exc, but yes, affordable, especially compared to other Mac models.

Entry level now is double that. So yeah, RIP indeed.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:48 am
affordable mac?
Checking, the entry level Mac Mini in 2014 was £399.

So not necessarily cheap exc, but yes, affordable, especially compared to other Mac models.

Entry level now is double that. So yeah, RIP indeed.
Yeah, but, it was a pretty lackluster machine at that price. My 2012 mac mini cost me about 1K and the only serious upgrade was the processor IIRC. I'm not really excited about paying that much for a new machine, but, for a mac I don't think that it's that bad if you can replace your own ram. It would be better if you could replace the SSD as well, I guess the jury's still out on that.

I've been toying with the idea of Mac development for a while but I don't think I'll be going the Mini way. i7/16/512 comes in at £1600.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”