Does all I9-cpu's require Windows 10?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I think if it was Kaby Lake(or similar name) that I read somewhere require Windows 10.

How about the new I9 stuff - is there such a requirement for all - or do you have to look for specific features in the I9-family?

What is the feature in cpu that suddenly require a certain OS version?

Windows 10 scare the shit out of me, what people have in issues as well as forced updates it seems. A system that works, I just want it not to change.

Thanks.

lfm wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:59 am

Windows 10 scare the shit out of me, what people have in issues as well as forced updates it seems. A system that works, I just want it not to change.
Just don't use online computer for music production. You will have no problems with updates or distractions like social networks, youtube etc...

You can disable auto updates in the Services app. Then just download security patches manually, as and when.

anomandaris1 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:49 am
lfm wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:59 am

Just don't use online computer for music production. You will have no problems with updates or distractions like social networks, youtube etc...
Thank you.
That is what I do - just online for doing regular software updates and installs and such. It's a go between router that is not powered up while using computer.

I use other computers to browse internet.

Googly Smythe wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:32 am You can disable auto updates in the Services app. Then just download security patches manually, as and when.
Thank you for the tip.

So no hate from MS with refusing to run unless doing update passed a certain date?
It's all handled from that service?

For Windows 7 I basically have updates turned off, and handle like that.
Not sure why they removed that in Windows 10, and require Pro version to do that at all.

What remains is whether I9-cpu need Windows 10?

I think if it was Kaby Lake(or similar name) that I read somewhere require Windows 10.
This is nonsense. Someone who talks these bollocks must have no idea about basic principles of computer systems.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:54 am
This is nonsense. Someone who talks these bollocks must have no idea about basic principles of computer systems.
Kaby Lake is the first Intel platform to lack official driver support for versions of Windows older than Windows 10.[15] Furthermore, Windows Update is disabled under Windows 8.1 and earlier, although an enthusiast-created modification was released that disabled the check and allowed it to continue to work on the platform.[16]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaby_Lake

This if very, very far from saying "i9 requires Windows 10". It's like saying "Canned cola requires fridge with can holder to be consumable".

I am pretty sure Linux and Mac OS will run on this CPU as well, so Windows 10 is not "required" by any means.

Either way, there is no reason to stay stuck with legacy platforms. Windows 10 runs fine and has great support. I don't know where people get these ideas :shrug:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

this hack bypasses the cpu check that prevents downloaded updates, either manual or automatic, from installing on win7 with my shiny new 8086K.

DJ Warmonger wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:54 am
Well, it was a computershop that allowed to design your PC from just about every component(MB, cooler, power supply and whatnot). It was a remark about a MB with Kaby Lake(if this was the name). Other processors allowed to choose any OS shipped with what you built.

anomandaris and acYm - thanks for tips.

None of the current (and few of the last) generation boards ship with W8.1 or older support, nor must they fit components on the boards that allow for backwards compatibility, but a lot of those drivers should be obtainable if you search about... it's just you have no comeback with anyone if they are not.

Sure, i9's work with any board that has driver support for the OS you're installing, that's up to the component manufacturers to sort out through rather than it being Intel's choice in the matter.

Thanks Kaine, you are right. I checked yesterday, and what was available beginning of year 8.1 and even 7 is now gone, so all is windows 10. So if I9 require w10 is obsolete.

So guess there is just using the current pc until it drops or bite the lemon and go w10 with a new pc.

My very first Windows computer used " Windows for Workgroups 3.11" as the operating system. I've used several different versions of Windows since then. Windows 10 is by far the best and most stable version of Windows I've ever used. I have no idea why Windows 10 gets so much hate, especially when I remember some of the horrible versions that came before it.
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

McLilith wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:14 am My very first Windows computer used " Windows for Workgroups 3.11" as the operating system. I've used several different versions of Windows since then. Windows 10 is by far the best and most stable version of Windows I've ever used. I have no idea why Windows 10 gets so much hate, especially when I remember some of the horrible versions that came before it.
My main concern with w10 is:
- forced updates - meaning an ever changing system even if things are working fine
- the amount of issues people have with updates, reinstall graphics drivers, audio drivers and dongle drivers etc due to a recent update.
- you cannot even delay updates unless using Pro version or higher.
- seems everything is updates, even what used to be major version updates - used to be by choice, but now everything is w10 and creators update and whatnot.

Quite a few posts in various forums on this. Unheard of before w10 - at least I never read that updates created such issues on windows 7 or 8.x. And I ran PC since 1985 in every platform since also as programmer. OS updates was always with getting major version updates.

Time and time again Steinberg as one, recommend not to do update until they have made their check that their products are compatible with the new update, etc.

When have the major version kind of updates before, Vist, Windows 7, windows 8 etc - you always knew the boundaries. Now it' basically windows 10 and major updates spring and fall - that require some attention from vendors of software you use.

Computer is off line while working, and just online for convenience when installing/updating software.

I have no doubt w10 is fine - if left alone. Even heard it's more efficient and stuff.

Just a signal from MS that your computer is not your computer anymore - "we own you and your computer", kind of.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”