Is the I9 9900K overkill for music production?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Most multithreaded synths just use a voice per core to spread out the load. I would go with the highest clockspeed and most cores possible. Definitely get a nice case and nice cpu cooling to keep things quiet and cool. My overclocked 3930k is still strong enough to do serious work all day every day.

When I build a new system I’ll probably go with the most cores/ highest clockspeed per core non Xeon intel option. The difference between the lower speed, and fewer core chips and the higher end ones is pretty low these days.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

So far, I'm impressed with the newer AMD Ryzen builds, but I run a thunderbolt card, and prefer low latency, and the intel has served me well for this.
Has anyone confirmed if the newer AMD Ryzen 3900x can produce stable low latencies yet?
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:42 am Has anyone confirmed if the newer AMD Ryzen 3900x can produce stable low latencies yet?
It can with careful choices, I've added notes to that effect in the other thread I've posted up. The Thunderbolt on the ASRock range is shaping up fairly well for us too currently, so a possible option for you there interface dependent.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”