Is the I9 9900K overkill for music production?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EnochLight wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:48 pm I was almost ready to pull the trigger on building a Threadripper 2 system until I saw your reviews. I'm still interested in the 9900K at this point (assuming I can find a die bin that holds a solid 5 Ghz OC on all 8 cores on air). :lol: :o That said, even if I can get a solid - say for instance - 4.75 Ghz on all 8 cores on air - that might be enough to push me.
4.9GHz remains pretty straight forward it's just that last 100 where we find the odd chip can object.

Kaine wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:55 pm
EnochLight wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:48 pm I was almost ready to pull the trigger on building a Threadripper 2 system until I saw your reviews. I'm still interested in the 9900K at this point (assuming I can find a die bin that holds a solid 5 Ghz OC on all 8 cores on air). :lol: :o That said, even if I can get a solid - say for instance - 4.75 Ghz on all 8 cores on air - that might be enough to push me.
4.9GHz remains pretty straight forward it's just that last 100 where we find the odd chip can object.
:party: :tu:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:23 pm
Kaine wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:55 pm
:party: :tu:
Overclockers.co.uk sells them selected for up to 5.1 ghz on all cores, expensive though,.. :wink:
HM

Pictus wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:31 am
HM wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:11 pm
Pictus wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:45 pmFor audio works you do not want a motherboard with PLX chip(higher latency).
You do not want the ASUS WS Z390 Pro and SuperMicro C9Z390-PGW. :uhuhuh:

BTW, he forgot to mention the Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE with build-in Thunderbolt
ports and the VRM +- the same as the Gigabyte Ultra/Pro/Elite. :tu:
So Gigabyte Z390 Designare does not have this PLX ?
No PLX.
How can I quick and easy see if a motherboard got PLX, or not,.. ?
The Z390 has 24 lanes https://www.anandtech.com/show/13135/mo ... et-exposed
Can support one GPU at 16x
Can support two GPUs at 8x + 8x
Can support three GPUs at 8x + 4x + 4x

So, if a Z390 motherboard supports 2 GPUs at 16x + 16x, then it uses a PLX chip.
https://www.asus.com/Commercial-Servers ... /overview/

https://www.anandtech.com/show/6170/fou ... s-and-evga
HM wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:24 pm AsRock Z370 Extreme4 ,.. should be a nice overclocker ,.. and it now got support for 9900K

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments ... _the_wild/

Since latest USB, and the other Bells and Whistles of the Z390 is not that important to me I consider to give the AsRock a try

Any opinions here ?
Seems like with proper airflow around the VRM heatsinks it can stand the i9900K, but I wouldn't call it a nice overclocker... :uhuhuh:
Thanks a lot Pictus, I will look deeper into it, both from a clocker and a latenzy perspective, booth needs to be ok, thanksfully I only clock moderate, 4.9-5.0, but it will be on a budget, and long term

A very compact solution is nessesary, and the case is already DECIDED, being equal to my other PC's

Right now got an free RM750X supply and this Coolermaster Elite 361 compact case, having cheap 2666+ MHz DDR4 on the "monitor-list",

For the fun og it, and for the efficiency, and low-noise, I plan to build one of the triple-triple monster-coolers into the top-plate of the Elite 361 case :-)

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mini-tower/elite-361/

https://www.coolerkit.dk/shop/phobya-xt ... 2949p.html

Suggestion as to what budget solution MB's to focus on is welcome, not over max normal ATX size
HM

HM wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:25 am Thanks a lot Pictus, I will look deeper into it, both from a clocker and a latenzy perspective, booth needs to be ok, thanksfully I only clock moderate, 4.9-5.0, but it will be on a budget, and long term

Suggestion as to what budget solution MB's to focus on is welcome, not over max normal ATX size
You are welcome, check the The Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO or Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ELITE, from what I remember the PRO got way better capacitors and a heatpipe.

Pictus wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:18 am
Your PSU only have one connector and you are not going to overclock, then should be ok. If the PSU is old, maybe it is time for a new one...
Thanks
Got the EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 220-G2-0850-XR 80+ GOLD 850W Fully Modular EVGA ECO Mode Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6817438018
Chose the Evga over the Corsair PSU as it had better user rating.

What do you say about RAM not being on the Gigabyte approved or tested list?

My current Seasonic 600W Fanless runs overclocked 4790K and GTX1080ti ,.. fine and with a safety margin

9900K is max 100 watts more heat in worse case

So I guess any quality PSU above 650-700W should be fine, even with a decent GTX for the video-edit

So after good recomondations I bought a Corsair RM750X for the upcumming 9900K build :-)

Hope I am safe ?
HM

I'm allowing 250W (300w if i'm feeling really generous, probably overkill) or so for the board, chip, memory, drives so throw on top of that whatever the card is pulling. Google gives me a quick sub 200w result, so I guess you've got 150w - 200w headroom to play with, even whilst thrashing it.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:19 am What do you say about RAM not being on the Gigabyte approved or tested list?
Approved RAM = no headaches
Non approved = who knows?

Kalamata Kid wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:19 am What do you say about RAM not being on the Gigabyte approved or tested list?
If it's not on the list, that just means Gigabyte never took the time to test it. It would be impossible for manufacturers to test "all teh RAM", so they pick what's the most popular or DIMM's that are provided to them from 3rd parties and test those.

Just so long as you buy quality RAM that meets the specifications of your platform, you're usually OK.

That said, as Pictus said...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:19 pm
If it's not on the list, that just means Gigabyte never took the time to test it. It would be impossible for manufacturers to test "all teh RAM", so they pick what's the most popular or DIMM's that are provided to them from 3rd parties and test those.

Just so long as you buy quality RAM that meets the specifications of your platform, you're usually OK.

That said, as Pictus said...
Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard ... -rev-10#kf
BTW it cam in today along with the Noctua nh-d15 coolar.
The box is huge and am afraid to open it a as the fan must be a monster
and will devour me.

RAM:
If anything goes wrong I do not want to be faced with "perhaps I got the wrong RAM".
So I should only get the approved RAM but then ...
But then I cannot find any DDR4 3200 RAM manufactured by Samsung that is under $300.
The list of approved RAM.
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard ... upport-doc

Kalamata Kid wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:38 pm If anything goes wrong I do not want to be faced with "perhaps I got the wrong RAM".
Have you ever built your own system before? For those of us that have been doing this for a while, this is something we all face at some point. That said, I haven't bought RAM specifically tested for my particular motherboard in 15+ years, over several builds, yet I've never had a RAM problem. That said, YMMV..
Kalamata Kid wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:38 pm So I should only get the approved RAM but then ...
If you want to play it 100% safe regarding RAM compatibility, then sure. Then again, read what I posted above.
Kalamata Kid wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:38 pm But then I cannot find any DDR4 3200 RAM manufactured by Samsung that is under $300.
Yikes. Have fun with that. :party:

EnochLight wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:50 pm
Kalamata Kid wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:38 pm If anything goes wrong I do not want to be faced with "perhaps I got the wrong RAM".
Have you ever built your own system before? For those of us that have been doing this for a while, this is something we all face at some point. That said, I haven't bought RAM specifically tested for my particular motherboard in 15+ years, over several builds, yet I've never had a RAM problem. That said, YMMV..
Kalamata Kid wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:38 pm So I should only get the approved RAM but then ...
If you want to play it 100% safe regarding RAM compatibility, then sure. Then again, read what I posted above.
Kalamata Kid wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:38 pm But then I cannot find any DDR4 3200 RAM manufactured by Samsung that is under $300.
Yikes. Have fun with that. :party:
Yes, Have built two PC's One minor upgrade and this a major upgrade. Every time I first plug them in they worked! Was I surprised!

Every time I try to do a better job. So with the help here I am doing very well. Now how critical is it to stay with the Samsung manufactured RAM? Any mfg. I should avoid?

"have fun" not enjoying this much. But in the end I will be very happy whenever if ever it happens.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:13 pm Yes, Have built two PC's One minor upgrade and this a major upgrade. Every time I first plug them in they worked! Was I surprised!

Every time I try to do a better job. So with the help here I am doing very well. Now how critical is it to stay with the Samsung manufactured RAM? Any mfg. I should avoid?
I tend to go by user reviews. Since I source most of my hardware from the same 2 vendors (Amazon or Newegg), the results other users get with the same RAM tends to be a good metric.
Kalamata Kid wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:13 pm "have fun" not enjoying this much. But in the end I will be very happy whenever if ever it happens.
Well, at least try and have fun. Building your own system is like building your own kit car. The sense of accomplishment is the trophy. :D

I like the procces also, and the chance to customise the build, f.eks my 3 new pc's will all be in the same compact cases, taking op very little space, and look nice stacked
HM

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”