Is the I9 9900K overkill for music production?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kalamata Kid wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:47 am Thanks Kaine.
Looks like I will should spend around $150 for a proper PSU.
Any suggestions?
I favour the Seasonic Prime series and the BeQuiet Stright or Dark Power series, although none of them are going to come in remotely close to the price of the RMX already posted, which by all accounts is still a great PSU and that's an impressive price with the rebate.
EnochLight wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:59 pm Are you running the motherboard's software overclock via the OS or are you doing this direct in the UEFI?
Try to avoid doing it in software, if anything the tweaking and monitoring software tends to play havoc with DPC. Auto-clocking solutions tend to run the voltages a bit high too in order to get it stable too, tweaking by hand will always tend to give you better results once you've found your way around it.
Last edited by Kaine on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:17 am How about on the side of the case put a fire proof air conditioning filter. :o
Seal all the openings. Then attach a filter the size of the case removable panel.
Make all the fans to exhaust. :scared:
https://www.amazon.com/20x25x4-Merv-Fur ... B0057BCDO8
I will not win any beauty awards, for sure. :lol:
Not to split hairs, but those aren’t “fire proof”. They’re pleated poly and cardboard. They burn quite easily. I use these regularly in my industry. :)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Splitting hair is fine!

I believe that there are fireproof vent filters but if not that is ok.
All the real estate on the side of the computer can be an air filer.
That's a lot of surface area that can be put to a good use.

what is best solution cpu for music production today?

i9 9900k 8core or threadripper 2950x 16core...... can get both same price like £600.....however not sure if more cores is better for music production VST, DAW or if single core performance is more important in this case...i do not play games...so just for music

thanks guys

deejay2 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:42 pm what is best solution cpu for music production today?

i9 9900k 8core or threadripper 2950x 16core...... can get both same price like £600.....however not sure if more cores is better for music production VST, DAW or if single core performance is more important in this case...i do not play games...so just for music
thanks guys
Check:
https://techreport.com/review/34192/int ... reviewed/6

http://www.scanproaudio.info/2018/10/19 ... e-refresh/
http://www.scanproaudio.info/2018/08/24 ... repeating/

thanks so looks like i9 9900k is better option even with less cores...

now in terms of memory,,,,z390 mobos are dual channel not quad...so is 2x16gb (32GB) sufficient or 4x16gb (64GB) is better option

not sure about advantage of 64GB unless you have 2x32gb sticks i would say ...thanks for nfo

You are welcome, if you are not using big orchestral samples, 2x16GB is more than enough.

deejay2 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:06 am thanks so looks like i9 9900k is better option even with less cores...
Well, no - not necessarily - if you want to have the most instances of Shattered Glass Audio's SGA1566 in Reaper, even at low latency (64 samples; 48 Khz) the Threadripper 2950X absolutely murdered the 9900K. According to Tech Report's benchmarks, anyway. :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

On the heaviest of multi-threaded applications, Threadripper wins.
On most everything else, the 9900k wins.

At this moment, the 9900k is $300 (US) less than the 2950x.

If you want/need Thunderbolt, you can't get it with AMD.

Healthy competition between AMD and Intel is driving performance to new heights.
That's great for all involved...
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

I wonder if Shattered Glass Audio's SGA1566 is heavily multi-threaded in Reaper..

If you look at the number of voices the 9900k produced in Kontakt, it was double that of the 2950x.
Reaper is highly optimized for multiple cores (most CPU efficient DAW currently available)...
Based on all all benchmarks, that's the only logical conclusion.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

No necessarily that the individual plugin is multi-threaded... but the process of running 250 instances of it
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Indeed. Seeing the Threadripper 2950X absolutely murder the 9900K in that bench, even at that low latency (which tends to be Ryzen/Threadripper's Achilles Heel, according to Kaine @ ScanPro)), was just weird.

At the time during the Zen gen 1 testing 1950X did alright on that DB4 DSP test too, to be fair. It was only once you moved over to the sample/memory heavy stuff that it starts to go wonky. This is pretty much why i put it down to NUMA load balancing over anything else the first time around as it was the only theory I could come up with that could explain the symptoms.

The fact that I've seen this with workstations running dual chip arrangements and AMD's continued tweaking and optimizing of the infinity fabric since then has only really strengthened my view of it, although I've never had anyone else officially confirm or even offer up another reason why this might be, at the same time it's yet to be disproved or a viable workaround shown either..
Last edited by Kaine on Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaine wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:38 pm At the time during the Zen gen 1 testing 1950X did alright on that DB4 DSP test too, to be fair. It was only once you moved over to the sample/memory heavy stuff that it starts to go wonky. This is pretty much why i put it down to NUMA load balancing over anything else the first time around as it was the only theory I could come up with that could explain the symptoms.

The fact that I've seen this with workstations running dual chip arrangements and AMD's continued tweaking and optimizing of the infinity fabric since then has only really strengthened my view of it, although I've never had anyone else officially confirm or even offer up another reason why this might be.
:tu:

I was almost ready to pull the trigger on building a Threadripper 2 system until I saw your reviews. I'm still interested in the 9900K at this point (assuming I can find a die bin that holds a solid 5 Ghz OC on all 8 cores on air). :lol: :o That said, even if I can get a solid - say for instance - 4.75 Ghz on all 8 cores on air - that might be enough to push me.

As I mentioned before, my workstation pulls double-duty as a Plex media server 24/7 (and I've since switched to mostly 4K transcoding). I don't think I want to keep my old one to do that, as selling it for parts is going to pay for some of my new parts. :party:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”