hardware latency

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a mixer because i want to add external fx's to my instruments.

My question is:
if i plug my guitar or synth in to my interface, channel 1 for example. if i then take the output of that channel and run it thru a mixer and then back to my interface on channel 2. will there be a latency or delay?

I signal path is pure analog, you will not get a noticable delay through that way.

If a effect unit is digital inside, there will be delays doing AD and then DA back for you.
But if you notice, not really sure. Many stompboxes today are digital inside, and never noticed a delay that bothered in comparison with ASIO buffer stuff via daws.

Used a LIne6 bass amp though once upon a time, and that had noticable delay when I both lined bass and took signal from amp as well. A ms or so delay.

If you encounter delay, if possible take return signal separate into daw - and then compensate by moving that before mixing. Reverbs are not that sensitive since so much delays involved anyway, but other effects might.

Thanks for your reply. this is good to know, I will keep that in mind with this setup for whenever i have a delay

LETHWOLF wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:40 pm My question is:
if i plug my guitar or synth in to my interface, channel 1 for example. if i then take the output of that channel and run it thru a mixer and then back to my interface on channel 2. will there be a latency or delay?
Watch out for feedback loops. I would plug the guitar or synth straight into the mixer rather than what you're suggesting. Route the stereo out from the mixer into the audio interface.

Yeah thru that would be the best option the only thing is that I don't have a separate output for the every channel. Unfortunately I only have a main output. I still want to be able to process my instruments individually thru my DAW or by external gear. So that's why I chose to do it this way

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”