Win 10 Oct update deletes files in user folder- should we panic?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Recovering deleted files? Of course, nothing will have overwritten their disk sectors since then, will it? :dog:

Maybe Microsoft has invented (and copyrighted and patented) time- travel. Or has partnered up with NSA / GCHQ etc to reload all your files? :-o
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

robotmonkey wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:36 pm ...The first thing one should do is to run a file recovery software.
Obviously a good idea :D .The first public report that I read (and I actually think it's the one I linked to earlier) the user said he tried a dedicated recovery application but with no luck.

And for those who cares, I posted it since it's relevant to the subject and by doing so I probably gave them the benefit of the doubt...kind of.

But I'm not to keen to do the support job for them, i.e. do the research needed to confirm or deny that their so called tools can deliver any satisfactory results. I would rather see users that have had this happen to them actually contact Microsoft Support and give them a real chance. In worst case they get a real life Microsoft Support experience and a story to tell.

So if you are one, I urge you to contact Microsoft Support (that's if you actually have paid for support service). Microsoft claims they can get your data back, well go and find out, then please come back and share your experience.

Also on serious note, I think it is important and should be noted that, yes they did this.

And no, I do not believe their support claim to be valid, but I would be glad to be proven wrong if that means the users get their data back.

Just read on another site that Microsoft is clear about what caused the issue, and I also got a patch for my installed 1809 today, so, I'd assume that this is solved now. I'll post specifics about the patch package later, not at home ATM.

chk071 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:45 pm
metamorphosis wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:27 pm No. This is a serious issue that should've been caught in internal beta, and there are no excuses.
No, it shouldn't. Yet it did. Another indicator of how "widespread" this is. You'd think that if it happened on at least 1 out of 9 computers, it would have become apparent. They pulled the update after very few days though, so it shouldn't have affected too many people. Additionally to the obvious fact that it only happens on certain configurations. As i mentioned above, there are indications that it has to do with the OneDrive app configuration, or the folder protection of Windows 10.

BTW, i'm not sure where you get it from that i try to "excuse" it. I'm not Microsoft, so, why would i excuse anything? Just trying to put things into perspective, where they are blown up.
MS has severely reduced their internal testing since the early win7 days. They're using the consumer as beta testers now. Not good enough, and not good business practice.

"Microsoft has corrected issues that caused data loss on systems upgraded to the company's new feature update the October 2018 Update."
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/10/10/micro ... sion-1809/

There's more bug reports than this one, like loss of Users Profiles and what not, if they are due to user error or the work of Micrsosoft I can't say but it should be noted, so beware.

metamorphosis wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:42 am
chk071 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:45 pm
metamorphosis wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:27 pm No. This is a serious issue that should've been caught in internal beta, and there are no excuses.
No, it shouldn't. Yet it did. Another indicator of how "widespread" this is. You'd think that if it happened on at least 1 out of 9 computers, it would have become apparent. They pulled the update after very few days though, so it shouldn't have affected too many people. Additionally to the obvious fact that it only happens on certain configurations. As i mentioned above, there are indications that it has to do with the OneDrive app configuration, or the folder protection of Windows 10.

BTW, i'm not sure where you get it from that i try to "excuse" it. I'm not Microsoft, so, why would i excuse anything? Just trying to put things into perspective, where they are blown up.
MS has severely reduced their internal testing since the early win7 days. They're using the consumer as beta testers now. Not good enough, and not good business practice.
I'm sure you have an official source for this?

Before Windows 10, they didn't even have the Insider program. Although that was never meant to be a team of beta testers. That doesn't mean they are disallowed to report bugs, though, of course.

This is update from Tom's Hardware.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/micro ... 37911.html

I see my "Everything else" computer has some update downloaded that it wants me to install. Strangely, I dont have Shut Down or Restart options, only "Update and Shut down" and "Restart and Shut down". I noted update being there on 9th- this is the date when the update was supposed to be inforced to automated download. So if this is an update- how would I know if it is old version or new fixed version? Is there any way to Re-Download it? I like to install new fixed version. Also- there has to be a way to see what goit downloaded and about to be installed, right? Thanks.

You can check the Update history in the Updates and Security section of the Windows 10 settings. If the update says KB4464330, then, yes, that is the update with the fix.

And, "Update and shut down", or restart means that it will install the update on shut down/restart. If you already loaded and initialized the update, then it obviously will install the update right away.

The only issue I've been having with 1809 is that occasionally my USB mouse and keyboard will just stop working. Replugging them doesn't fix the issue, forcing a hard reset. The mouse also tends to stick a lot. I'll probably have to do a fresh install to get things right but I'll wait for the updated update.
Image Image Image Image

sprnva wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:04 pm The only issue I've been having with 1809 is that occasionally my USB mouse and keyboard will just stop working. Replugging them doesn't fix the issue, forcing a hard reset. The mouse also tends to stick a lot. I'll probably have to do a fresh install to get things right but I'll wait for the updated update.
Windows 10 did this to me at version one. Windows 8.1 had no problems with my exact same hardware. Then I got my free upgrade and now I can’t have my game controller, mouse, and keyboard all in one USB bus or they all fail to work until unplugged and replugged repeatedly.

As for the main subject of this thread... FFS, Microsoft. And yes, it does appear that both Microsoft and Apple have downsized their QA and sped up their release schedules.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

So this is it. Windows update is now officially more dangerous than viruses... With the ransom virus you could at least pay someone to get your files back.

For anyone who gets affected by this, I recommend Minitools Power Recovery - they did have a free edition which lets you get back a gig of stuff (I dont know whether they still offer it) - I found it was the only recovery tool that would get back a lot of stuff in client scenarios - including on partitions where windows had been completely reinstalled.
Often you don't get the names of the files back, but you get the files ("recovered 1.docx", etc) and the file categories.

Recuva is an alright free solution, but it seldom gets back anything where the situation is more advanced than a simple accidental deletes in my experience.

Kr3eM wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:18 pm Image
you should post this on the GS long running Win 10 experiences topic :clap:

electrow wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:24 am you should post this on the GS long running Win 10 experiences topic :clap:
Well, since I'm not the creator of this masterpiece, I would first need to read the 218 pages in the thread to make sure nobody else already posted it...so noooo :D

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”