Win 10 Oct update deletes files in user folder- should we panic?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:27 pm Funny how easily you can trigger the usual suspect to go offtopic with a thread like this. ;)
Definitely an "Unusual" suspect here, my friend>> :wink:

I meant the guy who propagates 32-bit wherevere he can, and who's on Windows 7 for the next 10 years, and only knows Windows 10 from hearsay. The guy up there ^^. With the capital letters in the username. And that other guy, the Linux Jehova witness, who didn't use Windows for the last 2 decades.

@ch071, yeah I kinda thought that... I just couldn't resist the reply... BTW, it could have been me... only went win7_64 bit in April..
still use the win7_32 bit pc, that has had NO updates since installing 7 years ago (not even SP1).. works like a dream but slow!
and all through the 90's I used IBMs OS2 and Linux.. only music apps got me onto windozzzzz.
On a more serious note, I see M$ have withdrawn this update... I thought they're supposed to go through a multi_layer testing procedure before releasing the updates.

Nothing wrong with that. But, there's something massively wrong with trying to force developers to continue supporting obsolete platforms. Like 32-bit. Or Windows 7 soon-to-be-deprecated. Or preaching Linuxism. I can't remember ever having preached to use Windows 10. Especially in topics which have nothing to do with religion and politics.

chk071 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:49 pm I can't remember ever having preached to use Windows 10. Especially in topics which have nothing to do with religion and politics.
aha, hahaha ... Are you SURE this has nothing to do with religion and politics
(music and the creation off, is a religion??? ) (Operating systems feels so much like politics)
Therefor do we not work in a religiously political medium.. or is it politically religious medium :help:

toonertik wrote: :clap:
Unfortunately I don't hold up much hope...
Life has shown me how many sheep masquerade as humans...
bhaaa bhaaa>> to the slaughter house!
:roll:
Yeah, its a bit sad too. Im always careful what i say about other people in public because even if i could sometimes kick them in the rear (maybe even twice) i dont want to be openly offensive so i usually refrain from being insulting towards anyone unless they insulted me first.

But the thing is, and i just dont know another way of saying it, its just stupid to go along with this. Stupid because its simply an extremely bad deal. Because when you look at it realistically and with an open mind, you must notice that what is really happening is that the people who do go along with it are basically trading their privacy and control for things like a new shiny clipboard. And thats of course a damn lobsided deal, no matter how you look at it. It sorta reminds me of the stories of how the more greedy specimen among our species used to seek out native tribes to trade twinkly glass pearls for real gold and silver and gemstones. Definitely kinda unfair and they knew it, but the tribespeople didnt mind because they had no idea that they were being taken advantage of, so their gullibility was exploited.

And its the same thing here, only a more modern version of it. People giving up things of real value for things that are ultimately unimportant trivialities they could just as well do without. And so it comes that companies like MS get more and more control over peoples computers, which in turn allows them to grab lots of their data, which they can then monetize as they see fit, totally legally, on top of whatever people were paying for the OS in the first place. Pretty slick strategy there, should be good for huge profits, kinda explains why MS wanted Win10 on peoples computers so badly that they not only gave it away for free but also pushed it so hard in ways that were bordering on the illegal.

toonertik wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:34 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:27 pm Funny how easily you can trigger the usual suspect to go offtopic with a thread like this. ;)
Definitely an "Unusual" suspect here, my friend>> :wink:
Dont mind him, hes harmless. :)

chk071 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:14 am
BMoore wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:03 am
chk071 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:30 pm
BMoore wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:44 pm Maybe it deletes warez.
In the Documents? :)
Yes. It’s a download folder for many users there. Keep up.
For people who don't know about the Download folder, maybe. Every browser you install points per default to the Downloads folder. Keep up, brother.
And that negates my point how?
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

BMoore wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:50 pm that negates my point how?
Guessing the point was that this recent bug affects the loss of files stored in 'C:/Users/[username]/Documents/' whereas the Download folder in web browsers defaults as 'C:/Users/[username]/Downloads/'

Can't believe Microsoft and this update .... I'm on Windows 10 , yes I dual boot Ubuntu ... And want to switch but it's just hard when it's so convenient to use Windows for music ... I'm glad I didn't do the update ... And I hope this is Fake News ... But doesn't look like it .

mcbpete wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:32 pm
BMoore wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:50 pm that negates my point how?
Guessing the point was that this recent bug affects the loss of files stored in 'C:/Users/[username]/Documents/' whereas the Download folder in web browsers defaults as 'C:/Users/[username]/Downloads/'
I’m quite aware.
But why are you specifying browsers? There are apps, more suitable for warez than browsers, that has download folders in Documents.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

It should be obvious that if win 10 can access your data
to move it or delete it, that it can also be copied enroute.
And since data mining is part of win 10's reason for existing,
win 10 victims should assume their data has been,
and will continue to be, accessed by whoever and whatever
takes on that task.

If you encrypt your data, that will just flag it as
'the good stuff',
and off to the lab it will go. :hyper:

The Redmond 49ers

Lol.

If it wasnt so sad it would be funny.

ENV1 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:30 pm The Redmond 49ers

Lol.

If it wasnt so sad it would be funny.
I guess I'm slow I don't get the punchline .

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”