Win 10 Oct update deletes files in user folder- should we panic?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just got this article in e-mail- not sure if we should panic. It says- it deletes files in User folder if they were not backed up to one drive. User folder is where many software synths store presents and plugin files. I never use OneDrive- I dont think it designed to back up software files. I did not install update yet, but I noted that on my M drive, *Dio libraries some how lost .nki files. It is possible they some how were never there but it is strange- I have at least 4 libraries, missing KNI file- it is such a struggle to re-download everything. I can't have my User folder on C drive delete files! This would make many plugins unusable. I have like 1000 plugins!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/windows-10-a ... _test=2_08

I can confirm, my documents and images have disappeared from one of my computers. Fortunately my DAW PC is set to defer feature updates for up to a year.

You can set this option in Settings > Update Settings > Choose when updates are installed - there is a setting labeled "A feature update includes new capabilities and improvements. It can be deferred for this many days:" - I have this set to defer for 365 days, which is the current maximum.
Last edited by andrew71 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:dog: This is really crazy
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

I did the update and nothing has changed for me.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

andrew71 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:03 pm I can confirm, my documents and images have disappeared from one of my computers. Fortunately my DAW PC is set to defer feature updates for up to a year.
Holy shit ... I wonder if there's a trigger about when it vanishes for some people and when it doesn't. Happy I wasn't able to update to 1809 in that case !

Updated 3 computers. No issues in that regard. Pretty sure there's something special going on on the respective PC's.

No, don't panic. Whenever this happens, first place to look is in the folder C:\Windows.old\Users\{you}
Also possible is your user profile gets corrupted, then you get a new one and need Admin privileges to access whatever used to be in your old profile.

BUT: if this email was sent to you by a backup software company, it's probably Fake News to make you scared and buy their products.
Last edited by BertKoor on Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

andrew71: What was the username of the computer that your documents vanished - Wondering if any special characters cause it to break like this ?

The article came from Yahoo News- I recently started to receive Yahoo News (I use Yahoo Business e-mail), so they got me signed for it- I did not spam it yet. This is definitely consumer article, nothing like Tom's hardware. Should check what they say on Tom's hardware about it.

If it has something to do with OneDrive and it deletes files that not synced with OneDrive, it may be the same principle as for example Spotify. I have Spotify on computer and on my phone. So if I delete playlist on computer (desktop), spotify up syncs my phone and my computer and deletes in on my phone. If I add playlist on computer, it adds the same playlist on my phone. Also it does not do the same if I add new playlist on my phone- I dont think it does. Looks like my desktop is Master. So in case of OneDrive- it may be syncing with One Drive and thinks- you deleted it from OneDrive and it has to be deleted from your computer. This is stupid. But Microsoft may try to get us all in to using OneDrive and then start sale storage space. So if we have to back up everything, we may have new monthly bill soon. I am just wondering if it specific to certain files or if it would affect all files.

BertKoor wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:30 pmBUT: if this email was sent to you by a backup software company, it's probably Fake News to make you scared and buy their products.
Its being reported by IT-specific sites all over...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/0 ... pes_files/
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

It is. I still wonder what's different on the computer where the problem exists. I'll be damned if it's not one of those system tuning/cleaner/modifying tool which messes deeply with the system.

chk071 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:39 pm It is. I still wonder what's different on the computer where the problem exists. I'll be damned if it's not one of those system tuning/cleaner/modifying tool which messes deeply with the system.
Which version do you run? Home, Pro or any other version?

I think I've just worked out why I can't update ..... *If* it's duplicating the user folder into some sort of backup folder (windows.old\users) in order to be able to restore it later, and my user folder is >100gb (my Ableton user library is stored in there) then I'm gonna need at least 200gb space to update! (I've only about 120gb free)
Last edited by mcbpete on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nothing special about my username, although this particular PC is joined to a domain. I haven't lost anything major and my DAW is set to defer the update, but it isn't good for Microsoft.

andrew71 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:51 pm Nothing special about my username, although this particular PC is joined to a domain. I haven't lost anything major and my DAW is set to defer the update, but it isn't good for Microsoft.
ghacks.net wrote:An administrator who manages a PC affected by the issue suspects that the issue is caused by the Group Policy "Delete user profiles older than a specified number of days on system restart" in Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > User Profiles as it was set on the device and not on others where the issue was not experienced.

Whether the policy is indeed responsible has not been confirmed yet.
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/10/04/bugs- ... sion-1809/

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”