Mini computer for DAW setup?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi peeps.

I'm thinking about buying a new computer to replace my 7 year old laptop.

I've no need for portability in a new computer, but it needs to be small, so I was thinking of a mini computer a la Intel Nuc, Asus Vivo Mini or Hp Prodesk mini.

Have anybody recently built a DAW with a mini computer? I will be using it with a Steinberg UR28M Interface. Anything else you need to know? :)

Cheers,
aallvor

Those are tiny. Ok if you don't need loads of ports I guess. How much RAM and which CPU are you thinking of? Wouldn't a mini-tower sized PC be better value for money (I put mine on the floor)?

aallvor wrote:Hi peeps.

I'm thinking about buying a new computer to replace my 7 year old laptop.

I've no need for portability in a new computer, but it needs to be small, so I was thinking of a mini computer a la Intel Nuc, Asus Vivo Mini or Hp Prodesk mini.

Have anybody recently built a DAW with a mini computer? I will be using it with a Steinberg UR28M Interface. Anything else you need to know? :)

Cheers,
aallvor
what daw are you using ??
if DP or reaper buy a mini ryzen or some threadripper pc
if Steinberg or any other daw which does not use anticipative fx rendering get one with high single core performance aka Intel i7 or that sort
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Hi peeps, and thanks for your answers.
I have considered a mini tower, but wanted something even smaller. I was thinking i5 or i7 cpu and 16 gigs of ram. I'm running Reason and Samplitude.

Cheers,
aallvor

aallvor wrote:Hi peeps, and thanks for your answers.
I have considered a mini tower, but wanted something even smaller. I was thinking i5 or i7 cpu and 16 gigs of ram. I'm running Reason and Samplitude.

Cheers,
aallvor
Intel Core i7-7740X Kaby Lake-X Quad-Core 4.3 GHz LGA 2066 112W BX80677I77740X Desktop Processor

with
ASRock X299E-ITX/AC LGA 2066 Intel X299 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

i think will suit you
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Thanks!

NUC's, as far as I know, use mobile processors. For something very small, but still using a full power desktop processor, you could go with something like:

Asrock Deskmini H110
7th Gen Core i5-7600 or i7-7700 (not K series, it doesn't work with them)
2 x 8 Gb DDR4-2400 SODIMM (or 2 x 16 Gb if you feel you need it)
Choice of storage - supports 1 x PCIe M.2 drive (PCIe 3.0 x4), and 2 x 2.5" SATA drives.

I've got one using a Pentium G4560 hooked up to a TV and it is very small but performs well for what I want it for.

Interesting suggestion, thank you :)

I have been thinking about this too, since I'd love to have a completely silent fanless PC since I need to give up the studio for some years probably as we move to a smaller house, and also when recording instruments the fan noise is always an issue.

Now there's even passive I7 models available. To me that low voltage model looks like enough power, since I've been happy with my Phenom II 1055T until now.

https://terastore.fi/tuote/intel-nuc7-c ... i-mini-pc/

But I'm worried about throttling etc, isn't that an issue with the low voltage processors?

Taika-Kim wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:55 pm https://terastore.fi/tuote/intel-nuc7-c ... i-mini-pc/

But I'm worried about throttling etc, isn't that an issue with the low voltage processors?
With mobile U series chips, yes. That will take a desktop T series which are 35W and I offered a similar system until the parts dried up a month or two back (we're in the middle of a range refresh from Intel) and there weren't any problems. The 8700T in synthetics (CPU benchmark) shows about 80% - 85% of the performance as the 8700 standards and in real terms I think it was something like 75% of the performance (lower base clock speed most likely shaving off a few percent), but still rather usable and agreed that it will be far ahead of your current machine.

So, time to start saving, a sensible silent fanless configuration is around 1200-1600€, any way I look at it :P But I would enjoy that, not having to denoise most recordings...

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”