AMD's a-comin!!!... and Intel's been a-dunnin!!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was all set to get the 2700x but the (comprehensive) benchmarks from Scan on using it for audio DAW work were poor so I am now back to favouring the 8700K

BTW: the link to the Scan benchmarks is : viewtopic.php?f=16&t=504167&p=7068532#p7068532

Kaine wrote:
D-Fusion wrote: Sounds great on paper but is the windows 10 bug fixed yet which makes it unstable when more than 14 cores are used?

It works fine in windows 8.1 so why did they cripple windows 10 this way?
The Cubase double threading issue?
Yes.

Speak to Steinberg, they have a tweak to make the system see the extra cores, they just can't publish it as it's a spec specific change.

Rest of the sequencers ore fine as far as I'm aware.

Upcoming threadripper means that finally there's power to run shit almost with impunity. it will be mine! hehehehehe

https://wccftech.com/amds-ryzen-threadr ... -retailer/

...ok wheres Kaine and a 2990wx write up?!?!

theres NUMA in this chip, so its very not happy for me to lose ^20% processing power for this....

Debutante wrote:...ok wheres Kaine and a 2990wx write up?!?!
I suspect Kaine not in a hurry to review it because 2990wx won't be worth it for DAW use (four separate dies interconnected).

this particular configuration isn't as trippy as it is with separate physical cpus, so hopefully not tooooooooooo bad,eh?

Debutante wrote:Upcoming threadripper means that finally there's power to run shit almost with impunity. it will be mine! hehehehehe

Unfortunatelly Ableton (and probably all DAWs for that matter) is limited by single-core performance. A single master bus with Ozone 8 plugins is more tasking for CPU than 30 parallel instrument tracks.

However, I'm looking forward to new Ryzen next year, hopefully with significantly higher clocks.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:
Debutante wrote:Upcoming threadripper means that finally there's power to run shit almost with impunity. it will be mine! hehehehehe

Unfortunatelly Ableton (and probably all DAWs for that matter) is limited by single-core performance. A single master bus with Ozone 8 plugins is more tasking for CPU than 30 parallel instrument tracks.

However, I'm looking forward to new Ryzen next year, hopefully with significantly higher clocks.

Nu uh "FL Studio can use as many cores as your CPU has."

Debutante wrote:
DJ Warmonger wrote:

I don't deny it can, but it is limited by longest chain performance. You can't process heavy chain of subsequent plugins on multiple cores.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

johnrule wrote:
Numanoid wrote:Seeing that more than 50% off all devices sold now are using Android OS, means the high end desktop/laptop market is not where users are putting their money, but in phones and tablets.
Because the general public doesn't really produce anything with that hardware. They (mostly) surf/chat, and play low-end video games. Many people still need powerful hardware for DAWs, DVWs, (digital video workstations), gaming, compiling code, etc., so there will always be a need for more powerful hardware.

The desktop/laptop market is grossly underestimated because they don't upgrade every 6 months to the latest model like the phablet crowd, but they will spend $3,000 building a new pc when they do.
I made this argument to an investor a decade ago when they were talking about consumer computers getting more powerful forever .. I was like, yeah ... but at the same time computers for consumers may have mostly filled their niche. Yes, there is more computers can do, but if you separate robots and related things from actual consume desktop style computers, the desktop computer is mostly doing what it's going to do .. music production, video production, games, etc, etc ... it isn't like it is going to go outside and dig an area for your garden, or wash dishes or something. Just like a vacuum cleaner has a use, a t-shirt has a use, a bottle of shampoo has a use, computers do have a use. Yes, very versatile, but there's only so much information processing most people give a &^%$ about.

sempondr wrote:
Debutante wrote:...ok wheres Kaine and a 2990wx write up?!?!
I suspect Kaine not in a hurry to review it because 2990wx won't be worth it for DAW use (four separate dies interconnected).
Well, that and they released it whilst I was on leave (damn inconsiderate if you ask me...) and we'd already sold out our allocation on pre-order.

My original sample was shipped off to one of the review sites in my absence by my video editing guy, so I'm just waiting on another one. I'm under the impression it should land with me today, so it'll be a few days whilst I test and write it up I imagine.
Last edited by Kaine on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Should be interesting. Looking forward to reading how it goes.

DJ Warmonger wrote:
Debutante wrote:
DJ Warmonger wrote:

I don't deny it can, but it is limited by longest chain performance. You can't process heavy chain of subsequent plugins on multiple cores.
True dis. Misread your post :D A little management goes a long way once you know how, but it does fizzle creativity alot

BTW - everyone should be listening to John Coltrane's "My Favorite Things" or Summertime". I don't feel like my brain has eaten until i hear these things at least once a week

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”