EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

momohk wrote:Hello all.

Is someone using 2 1212m in one system ?

I am new to this card and i love the dsp and the range oft the outputsignal. But i need more inputs.
So i would try to get a second card if they will work together.
The drivers dont support multiple cards. If you have a 1212 and need more IO, get the matching breakout box (1620 or 1880 depending on which version of the 1212 it is, to get 8in/8out. Or add an ADAT box via the daughtercard.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Momo, I don't think your computer would recognize two audio cards at the same time. Either one or the other, even if you could get that.

you currently have :
(8) Ch. ADAT Optical In
(8) Ch. ADAT Optical Out
(2) Ch. S/PDIF Digital In
(2) Ch. S/PDIF Digital Out
(1) MIDI Input & Output
(2) 24-bit Bal. Line Inputs
(2) 24-bit Bal. Line Outputs

add an 1820 dock and this becomes : (working very happy in my studio)
(8) Ch. ADAT Optical In
(8) Ch. ADAT Optical Out
(2) Ch. S/PDIF Digital Ins
(4) Ch. S/PDIF Digital Out
(2) MIDI Inputs & Outputs
(6) 24-bit Bal. Line Inputs
(8) 24-bit Bal. Line Outputs
(2) Mic./Line Preamp Inputs
(2) Turntable Preamp Inputs
(1) Stereo Headphone Out
(4) Computer Speaker Outs

the other option, if that isn't enough audio inputs; is to run all your audio ins to an outboard big analog mixer, then output stereo to your audio input on the 1212 card

best of luck
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

whyterabbyt wrote:the matching breakout box (1620 or 1880 depending on which version of the 1212 it is
doh! should read '1820 or 1616'

momohk wrote:Is someone using 2 1212m in one system ?

I am new to this card and i love the dsp and the range oft the outputsignal. But i need more inputs
Two cards doesn`t work. Not supported by the driver.

If you want more inputs you have some options:

1. Expand your 1212m (if you have a V2 pci or pci-e card) with the 1616m MicroDock M (from 1616m pci /pci-e bundle).
Driver and Software are the same. The connection cable is a normal cat5 network cable.
1616m pci or pci-e bundle is the same card as the 1212m + the MicroDock M with more in- and outputs, etc.
http://www.creative.com/emu/products/pr ... &pid=19007

2. Buy a 1616m pci or 1616m pci-e bunde and sell or keep your 1212m as replacement.

3. Look for an adat i/o converter (like Behringer ADA8000 Ultragain or something) and connect it via adat to your 1212m.

BTW. First post after 10 years ? Welcome Momo :-D
Last edited by RexXx on Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
It`s not a bug... it`s a feature!

RexXx wrote:A 1820 Microdock will not work with your 1212m card!
erm, yes it will, if its a v1 1212M. and since the OP doesnt say, Im not sure how you can be sure.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun04/articles/emu.htm

(and strictly speaking its not a 1212M card, its a 1010M card. The 1212M was a 1010 card and an 0202 card.)

Because Momo wrote "I am new to this card" I assumed his 1212m is a newer model of the 1010 pci/pci-e card (without firewire port).

All cards for 1212 (m)/1616(m) are called 1010 from E-MU. Pci and pcie, old and newer models.
That is why it`s a bit confusing and because the model name stamped on the card itself is a completly different name.
Last edited by RexXx on Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RexXx wrote:Because Momo wrote "I am new to this card" I assumed his 1212m is a newer model of the 1010 pci/pci-e card (without firewire port).
So basically you knew there was an older model which did work with the 1820, but emphatically told him otherwise? That's not particularly helpful
Its perhaps best not to assume anything when you're making assertions like that. His system could be second-hand for all you know. That's why I'd already made it clear there were two possible breakout boxes, depending on which version of the 1212 he had.

Nope, I didn`t knew that 1010 (v1) pci cards for 1820 and "old" 1212 (V1) bundle are compatible.

As said, I was thinking he refer to a newer 1212m bundle with 1010 (V2) pci/pci-e card.
I have edit that post, hope it`s more clear now.

I "upgraded" my own 1616m pci bundle with a 1010 pci-e card from the 1212m pci-e bundle.
That works.

OK so now when the topic got bumped i have a slightly different question:
Will the 1212M work on Windows 8.X ? :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Hi there.

Thank you all for your reply. Before i used two Terratec ews 88mt. Then I bought an ddx3216 ( yes I know it is old too ;-) and add an adat interface. At first I bought the 1212m for the adat, but now I am really surprised of working with an DSP chip. The DSP effects are good and clean sounding.
How can I find out what kind of card I got (old or newer) ?

If I understood right, before I don't know the card I can not choose the right box !?

Can I use with the card I have now all inputs at the same time ( 8 adat, 2 sdif, 2 line Jack)?

Do the 1820 has a more powerful DSP ?

As I see there will be no new E-mu cards. Is there an alternative ?

Greetings

Momo

momohk wrote: How can I find out what kind of card I got (old or newer) ?

If I understood right, before I don't know the card I can not choose the right box !?
If you know that its a PCIe card, then its the new one.
If you dont know, or its a PCI card, then check the card connectors; if it has a firewire socket (like in the first image below) its the original version, and needs an 1820 box.

If the card has no firewire socket (as per the next image) it needs a 1616 box.

Can I use with the card I have now all inputs at the same time ( 8 adat, 2 sdif, 2 line Jack)?
Yes (except you cant run optical SPDIF and ADAT, as they use the same connector; you'd have to have SPDIF on coax). In fact it'll support all of them -and- the appropriate breakout box.
Do the 1820 has a more powerful DSP ?
No, they're basically the same. The main changes were the dropped firewire port and some changes to the preamps AFAIR.
As I see there will be no new E-mu cards. Is there an alternative ?
The ADAT port ;)

Hello whyterabbyt.

I thank you for your anwser. Things are more clear now for me.

Is there a way to see how much the DSP is working or will I get errors if the load is to high ?

Greetings

Momo

momohk wrote:Hello whyterabbyt.

I thank you for your anwser. Things are more clear now for me.

Is there a way to see how much the DSP is working or will I get errors if the load is to high ?

Greetings

Momo
There's no DSP meter of any kind, AFAIR, but its definitely capable of doing all the required mixing/routing without any issues. If you started slapping some of the DSP-driven effects onto lots of channels, I guess there's a potential issue with them, but Id tend to assume the mixing side is prioritised.

Mutant wrote:OK so now when the topic got bumped i have a slightly different question:
Will the 1212M work on Windows 8.X ? :)
Bump :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Hey everybody, I guess I'm not the only one working (or attempting to) with a Emu 1820M (PCI) on WIn 7. :) I am using this with my old 1212M card through the EDI port.

I am noticing some strange behaviors though. One of the first things I am noticing is that when I am running in 44.1 mode and I switch to 48K, the dock inputs become disabled in PatchMix. Is that normal? Is there a reason that these get disabled at this rate? I also noticed a similar behavior with the higher rates, where 96K worked without issue but switching to another rate (88.1?) suddenly caused the dock inputs to all go red.

I am using the 2.30 Beta Drivers, PatchMix 2.1 and I am noticing that the firmware update on my 1212M is 3.4 but the Firmware update on the 1820 is marked as "--".

Any advice? Am I doing something wrong?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”