EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi l_maseroni

Yes to most of your questions. The drivers you mention are what I used last time in both my EMU1616 and EMU1820. They belong to the same series and all these cards use the same drivers. They worked well for me in W7-64 and they work today in W10-(1809, not the recent one) without any issues.

I also use from time to time both my 1616 and 1820 with an inexpensive ADAT interface, the well-known Behringer ADA8000. It works very nice. The PRES and converters are just a tad worse than the ones in the soundcard. Today you can buy the ADA8200. There are better units if you pay higher prices. I suggest you to try the 2 I mention, you can sell them later easily. These include phantom power.

This solution is TIMES better than a mixer because you can record INDEPENDENT tracks. For example, when you record a drum set, you'll have independent tracks for the multiple elements, then you can mix in multiple ways weeks after you recorded.

What I don't know is if pro-tools works well with this configurations. I have the idea that pro-tools is different and less compatible with HW and SW than other DAWs, but I've never been very interested and have zero experience, so I can be 100% wrong. If I were right you can always try any other DAW (most work with virtually any card out there).

Thanks to everyone on this thread (especially ClubHouseKey and tobra)!

I have a 1616m PCI in a PC running Windows 10 version 1809 and a 0404 PCI in a PC running 1903. Both PCs had Windows updates yesterday that rendered the sound cards useless. Patchmix on the 0404 said I didn't have sufficient hardware. The 1616m dock would light up all of the lights and not connect. I thought I was going to have to buy a new interface until I stumbled on this thread.

The instructions here (after I updated the name in the script) got everything working again. It appears that all of my ASIO input are working (fingers crossed that they'll continue to work with future updates).

Thanks again everyone!

mico3568 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:45 am Thanks to everyone on this thread (especially ClubHouseKey and tobra)!
Thank you very much. Great praise for the member ClubHouseKey. :wink:

That's why I work in windows 7! W10 fills you with updates.

to run the script "EMU_Driver_Fix" :tu: :clap: in PowerShell
https://imgur.com/a/0wjcWmx

ClubHouseKey wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:06 am Driver fix for EMU 1820 and probably all other EMU cards on Windows 10 1903.
hi, is this fix works for both x32+x64? i see in filereplace that there's wdm/common/i386 files, but not amd64. my system is x64. and i did try the script twice with no luck, but the wdm.inf setup with creative audio processor - works. just the problem with ASIO support. asio4all sometimes gets in stuck.
also i have 2 creative sound cards - 1- e-mu and other X-fi, so i was able to work with x-fi asio for some time - pretty much the same latencies and cpu load.
So do i have to add more amd64 stuff in filereplace? i'm not sure where to copy those.

A comparison of the driver fix :phones: :tu: (script or wdma_emu.inf) for EMU cards on Windows 10 1903
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

symbiants
just the problem with ASIO support
"A friend found a solution (see picture)
You just need to edit the registry by adding 64 (i.e. ctasio64.dll instead of ctasio.dll)
Then everything works fine, in any hosts (32 and 64)"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vovi wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:46 am symbiants
You just need to edit the registry by adding 64 (i.e. ctasio64.dll instead of ctasio.dll)
Nice, thanks. Збс, спасибо.
now creative ASIO works with Audio Processor.

ClubHouseKey wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:06 am Driver fix for EMU 1820 and probably all other EMU cards on Windows 10 1903.
It works for my EMU 0404.
Thank you!

And I suggest to create an additional .CMD file for this script bundle to execute .PS1 script with bypassing execution policy option. It would be easy to be executed by unexperienced users.

planetearth wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:42 pm Your questions start at #3...were there two others you meant to ask?

BSODs, pops and crackles are usually caused by different things. BSODs ("blue screens of death") are usually caused by failing hardware or bad, poorly designed, or corrupt drivers. Pops and crackles are usually caused by people using the PC's on-board audio system, or by stressing the CPU or ASIO drivers during recording or playback.

While BSODs can be difficult to troubleshoot and resolve, pops and crackles are usually fairly easy to fix. IRQ assignments are almost never an issue here. In fact, I can't remember a time they were in the last 15 years or so, and I help out with these issues often on here and other forums.

Windows 7 doesn't have an "automatic" driver install process, per se. If you install hardware for which Win7 doesn't have the drivers, it will prompt you to provide them (or offer to try to find them through Windows Update. If you install hardware for which Win7 can find generic (or Microsoft-supplied) drivers on your system, it will install them, but you can still install the hardware manufacturer's drivers.

Windows' sound configuration panel will not override (or as far as I've seen, even affect) the settings you use for your ASIO driver. If you're using Microsoft's own WDM or MME drivers with a sound card (not the motherboard's built-in sound "chip"), then the sound configuration panel may be necessary for configuring your audio input--but you're going to have other problems. That's not because of the sound configuration panel, however. It's because WDM and MME drivers are basically useless.

Steve

946/5000
Hello! I have been looking at this thread about the noise caused by the emu 1212m plate but I can not find a single answer. In my case they are clicks (I can send audio sample if necessary). I would like to know what are all the possible causes for this problem. At first I did not, then started I think after having installed an ethernet plate pcie x1. I have adjusted the sampling frequencies correctly in the path mix, in windows 7 and in my DAW (Protools). Most clicks occur when I am not using the DAW. Then once opened the pro tools decrease almost completely. So and everything is quite annoying because they enter the recording. I have EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00 and EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA installed on W7 64 bit.
I also wanted to know about the correct configuration of the Patchmix DSP. The output of my DAW is ASIO 1/2, is that okay? by default ASIO 31/32 comes but it did not work for me.

Then I have this installer: XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018. Also I must install it or that is for something else?

Would just like to add my grateful appreciation to member "ClubHouseKey's" terrific work re: the E-MU 1212M Driver mod's. Worked perfectly for me but had to use "Safe Boot" to accomplish the mod'. Probably an obvious thing to have to do but didn't think about it first time around. :oops:

Thanks again "ClubHouseKey"... :-)

Mal.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.

Here are some instructions:

1. Uninstall any existing EMU drivers and PatchMix versions.
2. Install 2.30 beta drivers (EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe) and reboot.
4. Download XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018.exe, then extract it with 7-Zip to a temp folder like C:\temp. Example file structure should look like this: c:\temp\XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018\setup.exe
5. Unzip the attached ScriptFiles.zip to c:\temp. You should now have FilesToReplace.csv, EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1, and the XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018 folder together in c:\temp.
6. Open an Elevated powershell window and change directory to c:\temp.
7. Run .\EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1 from the Elevated powershell window. The script does 3 things: 1) Disables the EMU card in device manager so we can overwrite some of the driver files. 2) Reads the csv, loops through each entry, and overwrites the necessary files. 3) Re-enables the EMU card in device manager.
8. Install PatchMix 2.20 (EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe) and reboot.
9. Your card should be fully functional now.

Links:

EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe - E-MU beta drivers for Windows Vista x64 compatibility. These can support most models.
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... adId=12479 (https://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=12479)

EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe - E-MU PatchMix software meant for the 1616M PCIe model
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... adId=11912 (https://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=11912)

XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018.exe - Updated Creative X-Fi drivers for Windows 10 1903
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... dId=100256 (https://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=100256)

I encourage you to check out the script and csv before running it. If there is any concern about running a script, you can manually replace the files as listed in the csv, however it is 111 files.

My initial discovery of this method happened by a happy accident as I was examining Creative's X-Fi drivers which they fixed for 1903. I noticed many similarities to the EMU drivers, including many leftover references to the EMU products. I force installed the Creative drivers to be used with a virtual device (a Voicemeeter/VBAN virtual soundcard) and after a reboot magically my EMU started working. I came up with the method above after painstakingly examining what exact combination of these files it took to get success as I wanted something repeatable and shareable. I believe in 1903 MS has fixed a flaw, enforced a best practice, or enhanced the audio stack in a way that broke what EMU/Creative had done in the past.

Good luck!
Thank you sir, You are the best!

No suggestion? I read there are problems sometimes with regard to IRQ. I leave here an image just in case. I'm seeing if I can solve this clicks problem because otherwise I do not sell the focusrite 6 usb that I have too. I would like your recommendations to solve these annoying noises! thank you

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”