EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The KING OF THE DAW!!!! KING OF THE DAW!!!!. Hahahahahahaha. So they inadvertently updated the 1212 and someone copped on and did a super fix. This completely revitalizes this card...😵😈👿😎😇👽💞💞💞💞

ClubHouseKey wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:06 am Driver fix for EMU 1820 and probably all other EMU cards on Windows 10 1903.

Here are some instructions:

1. Uninstall any existing EMU drivers and PatchMix versions.
2. Install 2.30 beta drivers (EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe) and reboot.
4. Download XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018.exe, then extract it with 7-Zip to a temp folder like C:\temp. Example file structure should look like this: c:\temp\XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018\setup.exe
5. Unzip the attached ScriptFiles.zip to c:\temp. You should now have FilesToReplace.csv, EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1, and the XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018 folder together in c:\temp.
6. Open an Elevated powershell window and change directory to c:\temp.
7. Run .\EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1 from the Elevated powershell window. The script does 3 things: 1) Disables the EMU card in device manager so we can overwrite some of the driver files. 2) Reads the csv, loops through each entry, and overwrites the necessary files. 3) Re-enables the EMU card in device manager.
8. Install PatchMix 2.20 (EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe) and reboot.
9. Your card should be fully functional now.

Links:

EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe - E-MU beta drivers for Windows Vista x64 compatibility. These can support most models.
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... adId=12479

EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe - E-MU PatchMix software meant for the 1616M PCIe model
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... adId=11912

XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018.exe - Updated Creative X-Fi drivers for Windows 10 1903
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... dId=100256

I encourage you to check out the script and csv before running it. If there is any concern about running a script, you can manually replace the files as listed in the csv, however it is 111 files.

My initial discovery of this method happened by a happy accident as I was examining Creative's X-Fi drivers which they fixed for 1903. I noticed many similarities to the EMU drivers, including many leftover references to the EMU products. I force installed the Creative drivers to be used with a virtual device (a Voicemeeter/VBAN virtual soundcard) and after a reboot magically my EMU started working. I came up with the method above after painstakingly examining what exact combination of these files it took to get success as I wanted something repeatable and shareable. I believe in 1903 MS has fixed a flaw, enforced a best practice, or enhanced the audio stack in a way that broke what EMU/Creative had done in the past.

Good luck!
To ClubHouseKey - I just want to say a big Thank You for your perseverance and especially for sharing. This was some pretty impressive work. I know it must have taken you some time.

BODYPRINT - I have to thank you too. I also got "insufficient hardware" until I manually updated the driver. Thanks for laying the procedure out.

sekess wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:30 pm To ClubHouseKey - I just want to say a big Thank You for your perseverance and especially for sharing. This was some pretty impressive work. I know it must have taken you some time.

BODYPRINT - I have to thank you too. I also got "insufficient hardware" until I manually updated the driver. Thanks for laying the procedure out.
Great to hear - you're welcome! There must be other files that are needed in some cases (maybe based on different hardware revisions). I originally figured out which ones by looking at the list of loaded driver files as detailed by Device Manager. I used powershell to dump the list, then dumped all the file versions. To take it to the next level maybe someone will compare theirs after applying the BODYPRINT fix :-)

I believe ctdproxy.dll and piaproxy.dll (and their dependencies) are the key files for X-Fi and E-MU cards. They are a common denominator and appear to provide the bridge between the drivers and PatchMix (and whatever X-Fi uses) applications. I think MS changed some API in 1903 that the bridge files are calling. We are all very lucky that Creative had a couple X-Fi cards that they still support as I think it's the only reason they fixed this at all. Best case, MS doesn't make any more breaking changes and we can use these cards for a long time to come without sacrificing being on the latest version of Windows!

ClubHouseKey wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:00 pm
sekess wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:30 pm To ClubHouseKey - I just want to say a big Thank You for your perseverance and especially for sharing. This was some pretty impressive work. I know it must have taken you some time.

Great to hear - you're welcome! There must be other files that are needed in some cases (maybe based on different hardware revisions). I originally figured out which ones by looking at the list of loaded driver files as detailed by Device Manager. I used powershell to dump the list, then dumped all the file versions. To take it to the next level maybe someone will compare theirs after applying the BODYPRINT fix :-)

I believe ctdproxy.dll and piaproxy.dll (and their dependencies) are the key files for X-Fi and E-MU cards. They are a common denominator and appear to provide the bridge between the drivers and PatchMix (and whatever X-Fi uses) applications. I think MS changed some API in 1903 that the bridge files are calling. We are all very lucky that Creative had a couple X-Fi cards that they still support as I think it's the only reason they fixed this at all. Best case, MS doesn't make any more breaking changes and we can use these cards for a long time to come without sacrificing being on the latest version of Windows!
ClubHouseKey - I can try and figure out the files. But, I don't know how to go about it. If you spell it out for me with specific steps, I'll give it a shot. You sort of outlined it above. But, I haven't played around too much in powershell or delved too deep into device manager.

sekess wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:05 pm ClubHouseKey - I can try and figure out the files. But, I don't know how to go about it. If you spell it out for me with specific steps, I'll give it a shot. You sort of outlined it above. But, I haven't played around too much in powershell or delved too deep into device manager.
Attached is a script to dump the driver files. It's a bit crude but it works. By default it dumps to a csv in C:\temp. You can modify it - just make sure the directory exists. Also attached is the list of drivers from my PC. Anything with version 6.0.240.0025-2.40.0000 is from the new Creative driver package. There are also a bunch with no version #, but you can spot the new ones from the modified date as well.

On another note, what is your EMU named in Device Manager and which specific model do you have? I'm starting to wonder if the reason people are having mixed results is more due to variance in name. This matters because the part of the script that disables/enables the device calls it out by a specific name. If disabling the device fails then most of the files will fail to update.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ClubHouseKey wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:16 am
Attached is a script to dump the driver files. It's a bit crude but it works. By default it dumps to a csv in C:\temp. You can modify it - just make sure the directory exists. Also attached is the list of drivers from my PC. Anything with version 6.0.240.0025-2.40.0000 is from the new Creative driver package. There are also a bunch with no version #, but you can spot the new ones from the modified date as well.

On another note, what is your EMU named in Device Manager and which specific model do you have? I'm starting to wonder if the reason people are having mixed results is more due to variance in name. This matters because the part of the script that disables/enables the device calls it out by a specific name. If disabling the device fails then most of the files will fail to update.

Thanks!
[/quote]

The device name is: E-MU E-DSP
And, I have the 1820M. Is that the model number you're talking about or are there different pci card model numbers?

Now, the PS1 script did not execute. I get error messages. You have the *E-MU* in your script starred. So, I assume the device name isn't the issue. Unless the space between the E-MU and the E-DSP in my device name is messing it up. It does create the csv file. But, it's empty. Either I screwed something up in running it or there's a bug.
Here's what shows up when I run the script:

PS C:\windows\system32> & "C:\temp\Find-EMU-Drivers.ps1"
Export-Csv : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'InputObject' because it is null.
At C:\temp\Find-EMU-Drivers.ps1:31 char:15
+ ... ollection | Export-Csv -NoTypeInformation -Path "C:\temp\EMU-DriverFi ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Export-Csv], ParameterBindingValidationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ExportCsvCommand

What do you think?

sekess wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:18 am The device name is: E-MU E-DSP
And, I have the 1820M. Is that the model number you're talking about or are there different pci card model numbers?

Now, the PS1 script did not execute. I get error messages. You have the *E-MU* in your script starred. So, I assume the device name isn't the issue. Unless the space between the E-MU and the E-DSP in my device name is messing it up. It does create the csv file. But, it's empty. Either I screwed something up in running it or there's a bug.
Here's what shows up when I run the script:

PS C:\windows\system32> & "C:\temp\Find-EMU-Drivers.ps1"
Export-Csv : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'InputObject' because it is null.
At C:\temp\Find-EMU-Drivers.ps1:31 char:15
+ ... ollection | Export-Csv -NoTypeInformation -Path "C:\temp\EMU-DriverFi ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Export-Csv], ParameterBindingValidationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ExportCsvCommand

What do you think?
I have the plain 1820 (not the M). You might be right that the device name is dependent on the PCI card vs the breakout box.

Try changing this line from:

$drivers = Get-WmiObject Win32_PNPSignedDriver | where {$_.DeviceName -like "*E-MU*"}

to:

$drivers = Get-WmiObject Win32_PNPSignedDriver | where {$_.FriendlyName -like "*E-MU*"}

For me the device name is E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM), but the friendly name (what appears in device manager) is E-MU E-DSP.

If you still don't get any results, try running this outside of the script: Get-WmiObject Win32_PNPSignedDriver | select DeviceName,FriendlyName | Out-GridView

It will spit out a large list of all your devices which you can filter and search in an external window.

[/quote]

I have the plain 1820 (not the M). You might be right that the device name is dependent on the PCI card vs the breakout box.

Try changing this line from:

$drivers = Get-WmiObject Win32_PNPSignedDriver | where {$_.DeviceName -like "*E-MU*"}

to:

$drivers = Get-WmiObject Win32_PNPSignedDriver | where {$_.FriendlyName -like "*E-MU*"}

For me the device name is E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM), but the friendly name (what appears in device manager) is E-MU E-DSP.

If you still don't get any results, try running this outside of the script: Get-WmiObject Win32_PNPSignedDriver | select DeviceName,FriendlyName | Out-GridView

It will spit out a large list of all your devices which you can filter and search in an external window.
[/quote]

1. Closer - the script ran without errors (with the FriendlyName modification). But, the csv file only contained 1 file (1 row plus the header). The path to the file only listed file is:
c:\windows\inf\oem17.inf
It took about 20 seconds to execute. But, that's the only thing that it output to the csv file.
2. Running the following:
Get-WmiObject Win32_PNPSignedDriver | select DeviceName,FriendlyName | Out-GridView
in power shell did output a page.
From that page, it looks like my device name is: Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)
The associated friendly name for that device is: E-MU E-DSP

Now, how do I go about searching in an external window?

Thanks

hey guys. i got everything working on win10..
there is just ONE thing i do NOT get to work and i dont know how to fix this.

everything is working fine on any asio based software like DAWs.. but HOW can i route my mic input to "Wave - E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM)", which is the only input windows accepts in for example teamspeak?
i dont know if i am just too stupid to setup PatchMix correctly or if there is any workaround or whatever.

would be nice if someone could help me out there.

incomplete wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:41 am hey guys. i got everything working on win10..

everything is working fine on any asio based software like DAWs.. but HOW can i route my mic input to "Wave - E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM)", which is the only input windows accepts in for example teamspeak?
i dont know if i am just too stupid to setup PatchMix correctly or if there is any workaround or whatever.

This is something that has been broken since Windows 8.
Sometimes I can get it to work but I haven't been able to find a constant solution for this yet.
I use my webcam Mic so hasn't been a real issue for me personally.
I'll have another fiddle with it and see if I can get it to work again with this driver update.

BODYPRINT wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:10 am
incomplete wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:41 am hey guys. i got everything working on win10..

This is something that has been broken since Windows 8.
Sometimes I can get it to work but I haven't been able to find a constant solution for this yet.
I use my webcam Mic so hasn't been a real issue for me personally.
I'll have another fiddle with it and see if I can get it to work again with this driver update.
Would be great if you find out some solution. I didnt try the driver update yet since i am working with the win7 beta drivers which are working fine for me. If the routing to win wave works again with the new update or any other workaround (like.. possibility to choose the input you like or virtual audio cable or whatever), please tell me/us.
Thanks 😊

incomplete wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:54 am Would be great if you find out some solution. I didnt try the driver update yet since i am working with the win7 beta drivers which are working fine for me. If the routing to win wave works again with the new update or any other workaround (like.. possibility to choose the input you like or virtual audio cable or whatever), please tell me/us.
Thanks 😊
I got this to work this morning with this app/virtual cable combo: https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.ht ... ASIOBridge

You run the ASIO Bridge app, select your EMU card, and send your mic to ASIO 1-8 using PatchMix (I don't see any options for 9-32). The output appears in Windows sound control panel Recording tab as "VoiceMeeter Output (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)". You then select this output as your input in whatever app you want to use.

Attached is a screenshot of my test setup using Audacity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sekess wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:44 pm 1. Closer - the script ran without errors (with the FriendlyName modification). But, the csv file only contained 1 file (1 row plus the header). The path to the file only listed file is:
c:\windows\inf\oem17.inf
It took about 20 seconds to execute. But, that's the only thing that it output to the csv file.
2. Running the following:
Get-WmiObject Win32_PNPSignedDriver | select DeviceName,FriendlyName | Out-GridView
in power shell did output a page.
From that page, it looks like my device name is: Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)
The associated friendly name for that device is: E-MU E-DSP

Now, how do I go about searching in an external window?

Thanks
Ok, that makes more sense. It looks like installing both drivers (E-MU and Creative X-Fi) is creating a funky combination that doesn't report all the information. We could examine the resources that PatchMix/CTHelper are loading using Process Explorer, but I think it's probably not worth it given that people have a working solution.

Re: the searchable output window. When you run "Get-WmiObject Win32_PNPSignedDriver | select DeviceName,FriendlyName | Out-GridView", at the top of the results window there is a filter box that you can search in.

[/quote]

Ok, that makes more sense. It looks like installing both drivers (E-MU and Creative X-Fi) is creating a funky combination that doesn't report all the information. We could examine the resources that PatchMix/CTHelper are loading using Process Explorer, but I think it's probably not worth it given that people have a working solution.

[/quote]

I was just curious. But, I have to agree with you. I am thrilled that you came up with this working solution.
There was a strong possibility that due to the card's age and Creative's lack of interest in their legacy products, that she wouldn't be able to function from here on out (unless one remained on earlier W10 builds). So yea - thanks again.

[/quote]
Re: the searchable output window. When you run "Get-WmiObject Win32_PNPSignedDriver | select DeviceName,FriendlyName | Out-GridView", at the top of the results window there is a filter box that you can search in.
[/quote]

Oh yea - I saw that. That box will just let you sort through the page. I guess it's useful when you have a big list.
I thought that you meant that there was a method to search for the installed files from each device listed in the page.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”