EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Took a bit of fiddling but everything is working now! :)
I stuffed up and accidentally ran the script before installing the EMU Beta driver.
This prevented me from installing the Beta Driver after so I had to modify the script to delete the files from the system. (Attached below in updated script files zip)
Then I followed ClubHouseKey's steps.
It still had the insufficient hardware error when I rebooted so then I did my method after and everything is working! ASIO and Windows sound all running perfectly now!!

Thanks again for all your help mate :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ClubHouseKey wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:06 am Driver fix for EMU 1820 and probably all other EMU cards on Windows 10 1903.
Thank you. :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Thank your very, very, very much! I tried the precodure of BodyPrint in a second Win10 machin with 1903 and it works for me. ASIO is working too.
Now I'm going to repeat this on my main machine with all of my audio software.

Thanks for your investigation. I use 0404 PCIe and I am still on Win10Pro 1809. Let's see if it works with the update.

Do you know if this will allow the E-MU cards to work at 48 kHz or higher? As I understand it, even the "beta" drivers E-MU had available for Win7 wouldn't allow you to use anything higher than 44.1 kHz.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

ClubHouseKey wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:06 am Driver fix for EMU 1820 and probably all other EMU cards on Windows 10 1903.

Here are some instructions:

1. Uninstall any existing EMU drivers and PatchMix versions.
2. Install 2.30 beta drivers (EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe) and reboot.
4. Download XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018.exe, then extract it with 7-Zip to a temp folder like C:\temp. Example file structure should look like this: c:\temp\XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018\setup.exe
5. Unzip the attached ScriptFiles.zip to c:\temp. You should now have FilesToReplace.csv, EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1, and the XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018 folder together in c:\temp.
6. Open an Elevated powershell window and change directory to c:\temp.
7. Run .\EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1 from the Elevated powershell window. The script does 3 things: 1) Disables the EMU card in device manager so we can overwrite some of the driver files. 2) Reads the csv, loops through each entry, and overwrites the necessary files. 3) Re-enables the EMU card in device manager.
8. Install PatchMix 2.20 (EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe) and reboot.
9. Your card should be fully functional now.

Links:

EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe - E-MU beta drivers for Windows Vista x64 compatibility. These can support most models.
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... adId=12479

EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe - E-MU PatchMix software meant for the 1616M PCIe model
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... adId=11912

XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018.exe - Updated Creative X-Fi drivers for Windows 10 1903
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... dId=100256

I encourage you to check out the script and csv before running it. If there is any concern about running a script, you can manually replace the files as listed in the csv, however it is 111 files.

My initial discovery of this method happened by a happy accident as I was examining Creative's X-Fi drivers which they fixed for 1903. I noticed many similarities to the EMU drivers, including many leftover references to the EMU products. I force installed the Creative drivers to be used with a virtual device (a Voicemeeter/VBAN virtual soundcard) and after a reboot magically my EMU started working. I came up with the method above after painstakingly examining what exact combination of these files it took to get success as I wanted something repeatable and shareable. I believe in 1903 MS has fixed a flaw, enforced a best practice, or enhanced the audio stack in a way that broke what EMU/Creative had done in the past.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot for the fix!

I has to modify the script cause my device appears as "E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM)"

Now it works in Windows 10 Version 1903 :clap:

planetearth wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:23 pm Do you know if this will allow the E-MU cards to work at 48 kHz or higher? As I understand it, even the "beta" drivers E-MU had available for Win7 wouldn't allow you to use anything higher than 44.1 kHz.

Steve
I've never noticed any issues in Windows 10 with higher sample rates. But I normally run at 48kHz anyway in the past.

But since doing this fix I have been running at 96kHz with no issues so far. I don't think you'll have any problems with higher rates.

And these drivers haven't affected your latency?

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

On my 1820 I can achieve the following:

44.1/48 - 18 in / 20 out
88.2/96 - 12 in / 18 out
176.4/192 - 4 in/ 10 out

I'm able to use those in my DAWs with ASIO and Windows for system sound. The key is to create a new session from one of the built-in templates that is set up for your desired sample rate.

I found this in the manual:

PatchMix DSP can run at 44.1k, 48k,
88.2k, 96k, 176.4k or 192k, but its complete set of features are only available at
44.1kHz or 48kHz.

Once the sample rate is set, you can only easily switch between 44.1k and 48k. You cannot
switch between 44/48k and the higher rates of 88k/96k/176k/192k. This is because the
number of mixer inputs and outputs changes significantly at these high sample rates. In
the case of such drastic sample rate changes, you must start a new session.

As for latency, I'm running 2ms @ 44.1KHz with no issues. This is also using my PCIe to PCI converter so I am super happy! The round trip latency is also very good. My DAWs report ~5.4ms which I confirmed with the 'RTL Utility' app.

BODYPRINT wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:47 am OK, I may have jumped the shark a bit in my post above.
There is no ASIO communication happening with my method so will now try ClubHouseKey's full instructions.
I ran into the same thing at one point while trying to finalize the solution. It appears to be due to missing registry entries. Some DAWs could see ASIO while others could not (32bit vs 64bit). Doing a clean install fixed it for me as you've seen as well.

rootsandculture wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:52 pm Thanks a lot for the fix!

I has to modify the script cause my device appears as "E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM)"

Now it works in Windows 10 Version 1903 :clap:
Awesome! Nice work on the modification. I probably should have done an "*E-MU*" wildcard in the script instead of assuming they are all the same. Even so, who knows what other permutations exist! :ud:

BODYPRINT wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:33 am Took a bit of fiddling but everything is working now! :)
I stuffed up and accidentally ran the script before installing the EMU Beta driver.
This prevented me from installing the Beta Driver after so I had to modify the script to delete the files from the system. (Attached below in updated script files zip)
Then I followed ClubHouseKey's steps.
It still had the insufficient hardware error when I rebooted so then I did my method after and everything is working! ASIO and Windows sound all running perfectly now!!

Thanks again for all your help mate :)
Awesome! I'm so happy you got it working. I worked on mine for way longer than I'd like to admit while having pretty much zero hope I'd find a solution. I almost cried when it worked lol!

planetearth wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:47 am Thanks for your detective work on this. I'm sure it wasn't easy (or particularly fun), but it will help quite a few people. And I think it's interesting to see Creative is still taking advantage of E-MU's intellectual property (probably illegally :roll:) long after they stopped supporting these otherwise great products.

Steve
You're welcome! It was long and arduous, but so very worth it. I absolutely had to share :phones:

Re: Creative - I always thought they were the parent company of E-MU. Was there something more sinister that I don't know?

ClubHouseKey wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:06 am
planetearth wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:47 am Thanks for your detective work on this. I'm sure it wasn't easy (or particularly fun), but it will help quite a few people. And I think it's interesting to see Creative is still taking advantage of E-MU's intellectual property (probably illegally :roll:) long after they stopped supporting these otherwise great products.

Steve
You're welcome! It was long and arduous, but so very worth it. I absolutely had to share :phones:

Re: Creative - I always thought they were the parent company of E-MU. Was there something more sinister that I don't know?
They were the parent company--but only after they bought E-MU (and Ensoniq) simply for the intellectual property. They'd had relationships with E-MU and Ensoniq before they bought them; Creative was using various E-MU and/or Ensoniq chips for a little while in various SoundBlaster cards.

From Wikipedia: "In 1993, E-mu was acquired by Creative Technology (the Singaporean parent company of Creative Labs) and began working on PC soundcard synthesis. Creative Wave Blaster II and Sound Blaster AWE32 used EMU8000 effect processor. [snip] In 1998, E-mu was combined with Ensoniq, another synthesizer and sampler manufacturer previously acquired by Creative Technology." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mu_Systems)

Of course, what the Wikipedia article doesn't mention is how Creative left these two innovative companies to rot. :roll:

Steve

ClubHouseKey wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:48 am On my 1820 I can achieve the following:

44.1/48 - 18 in / 20 out
88.2/96 - 12 in / 18 out
176.4/192 - 4 in/ 10 out

I'm able to use those in my DAWs with ASIO and Windows for system sound. The key is to create a new session from one of the built-in templates that is set up for your desired sample rate.

I found this in the manual:

PatchMix DSP can run at 44.1k, 48k,
88.2k, 96k, 176.4k or 192k, but its complete set of features are only available at
44.1kHz or 48kHz.

Once the sample rate is set, you can only easily switch between 44.1k and 48k. You cannot
switch between 44/48k and the higher rates of 88k/96k/176k/192k. This is because the
number of mixer inputs and outputs changes significantly at these high sample rates. In
the case of such drastic sample rate changes, you must start a new session.

As for latency, I'm running 2ms @ 44.1KHz with no issues. This is also using my PCIe to PCI converter so I am super happy! The round trip latency is also very good. My DAWs report ~5.4ms which I confirmed with the 'RTL Utility' app.
That's great! I haven't tried this on my E-MU 1820m yet, but others in this thread reported sampling rate limitations under Windows 10. Then again, they were using the older, beta drivers from Creative which were specifically for the E-MU cards. Maybe something in the drivers you're using now allows higher sampling rates. Whatever the case may be, as long as E-MU PCIe card owners will be able to still use their cards in Windows 10, I think they'll be pretty happy! :wink:

Thanks again!

Steve

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”