EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Atcrank wrote:Is there any way to get output from the dock by itself? Like, if I want to just pass through inputs and jam without firing up the workstation ? Would I be any better off with a different brand of ADAT dock (Saffire etc) with no-latency monitoring analog outs? Or is this a weird requirement that no one makes hardware for? :)
Nope, the EMU cant do this. Not many audio interfaces can, in fact, and Im pretty sure its got anything to do with whether or not it has no-latency monitoring. Most of the devices Im aware of that do passthrough like that arent actually soundcards but standalone ADC/DAC boxes that get hooked up to a soundcard via ADAT or whatever.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Thanks folks. Even with the pc on, but running Linux (no drivers for PCIe 1010m) it will not work. I really liked the balanced outputs for my monitors and the mic preamp would let me do a bit too. But I might go look for a used rack mixer with ADAT out.

This may help some, and maybe an answer for me:

I have an ongoing situation with my 1820 dock.
It has been giving me hell on Windows 7, and I will NOT swap it for a newer card
because it makes no financial sense for me.

Both Windows and the 1820 are set at 48khz audio rate.
I am using the beta drivers as posted all over the web.
All other Audio drivers are DISABLED.

Upon boot-up, I get a little splash screen telling me I am missing some hardware,
apparently the dock is not recognized well.
Every few seconds the operating system hangs as a loud static fart is emitted
at the docks output.
On the Patch Mix window - Dock outputs flicker on and off.

After many attempts, including creating a "No Channel/ No Strip" setup,
Hot-plugging the dock (not recommended!!!) and using other drivers,
my conclusion was that it is a driver conflict of sorts.

My solution:
Under the "Creative Professional > E-MU PatchMix DSP" item of the Windows START menu,
There is an "Restore Defaults" item.
I have to use this after each PC power up, and it then does an automated Restart.
Apparently - this solves the issue.

My Problem:
The 1820 will only play nice with certain software - DAWs and Plugins.
Trial installations of Cubase or Abelton mess up something with the drivers to no avail.
So I stick to Reaper and whatever Plugins that seem to be stable.

And I can still make great music that I enjoy.

Gilirose maybe try using Process Hacker to find out to which files your PC writes after you click the restore defaults, then make these files read only.
http://processhacker.sourceforge.net/

*Just an idea, i don't have the same card.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

gilirose wrote:
I have an ongoing situation with my 1820 dock.
It has been giving me hell on Windows 7, and I will NOT swap it for a newer card
because it makes no financial sense for me.
How much time do you spend on making it work?

Time = Money.

You'd probably be able to sell that card for *something* and then get something newer that will work all the time.
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

Hello,

I know this is an old thread but I've just bought an Emu or two second hand - I've installed on two machines to test out a little. One is a Vista machine with 32 bit Ultimate 2.2 driver with patchmix 2.1 / 2.2 -

I've also installed onto a Windows 10 x64 machine with 2.3 beta driver - maybe a later beta [not sure] - I'm not sure where I can view the drivers apart from the un-install programs list.

The ASIO is working OK from what I've seen so far - just a little audio clip recorded - Sample rate is 44.1 Khz - But the wdm drivers are no where to be seen in FL Studio 12 - I'm not complaining this is a test to see what does and what doesn't work. Some people have got Windows 10 working just fine with everything.

Another thing I was confused with - Is there a separate download for x64 and x86 patchmix - Or are the installes both x32 and x64?

What is the difference between patchmix app 2.1 and patchmix app 2.2 ?

I wouldn't use x64 in home studio for EMU as I'd use Vienna Ensemble Pro to access a machine on LAN that is 64 bit!!!

Any pointers on the WDM driver welcome but like mentioned it's a test so I'm more than happy this 1820M is "working" or seems to be but it's there is lots to test.

I did see an EMU e-dsp driver [is in audio settings] is this WDM? - or something for the fx? - Thanks

fraz wrote:I did see an EMU e-dsp driver [is in audio settings] is this WDM? - or something for the fx? - Thanks
In my Win7 audio settings, the name is "E-MU E-DSP".
And yes it seems to be WDM, because in Properties/Properties/Details it also says "E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM)".
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

OK it is WDM then - that has appeared in FL Studio - But nothing plays back - I'll try again - But is it definite that e-dsp [wdm] won't work - or is there a way to tinker this?

But ASIO is the main one - Is it generally that windows 10 x64 struggles with WDM but Windows 10 x86 does not? - or is it Windows 10 both x86 & x64?

Page 8 has some Win10 info.
Sorry, i can't help you with that W version.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote:Page 8 has some Win10 info.
Sorry, i can't help you with that W version.
That's OK - It's just a test - Others have commented on Windows 10 and WDM not working - I'll read page 8 to see if there are more clues.

I'm also trying it out on a Windows 7 64 bit - So still x64 but minus Windows 10 ! - Then WDM should work as well - :hihi: - Unless it's an issue with x64 but I don't think it is.

ASIO is the main driver for DAW's - Of course playing off Youtube or something would require wave drivers.

When I get using EMU properly it'll be on a 32 bit system but I feel good that Windows 10 ASIO seems to work very well but it's not been used extensively but it was looking good!

OK the wave drivers work on Windows 7 x64 playing back from Youtube - I suspect Windows 10 would have done this as well but I'll try that another day.

What did get f****d up was trying to use wave drivers in Orion 8 [Synapse-Audio] wave mme really messed it all up!! and crashed Orion. Didn't test any other DAW -

Direct sound didn't do much better - this was for playback of VSTi but ASIO is king for DAW !!!

So it's just working out in little bits - what a hassle - But it looks good

OK back to Windows 10 - I'm pretty sure the wave driver does not work 2.3 beta - Windows 7 x64 I could switch between two sources on the fly a TV [Intel HD audio] and EMU-e-DSP [speakers] - Another option would be to try Windows 10 x86 but I don't have a machine with this on!

But at least the ASIO works on Windows 10 x64 !!! - Windows 7 x64 [both ASIO&WAVE works]

If anyone has any tips to get Windows 10 wave drivers to work with EMU 1820M / EMU 1212M - Please mention them.

This isn't mission critical but it is good to ascertain what will what won't work then draw a line underneath it!

fraz wrote:OK back to Windows 10 - I'm pretty sure the wave driver does not work 2.3 beta - Windows 7 x64 I could switch between two sources on the fly a TV [Intel HD audio] and EMU-e-DSP [speakers] - Another option would be to try Windows 10 x86 but I don't have a machine with this on!

But at least the ASIO works on Windows 10 x64 !!! - Windows 7 x64 [both ASIO&WAVE works]

If anyone has any tips to get Windows 10 wave drivers to work with EMU 1820M / EMU 1212M - Please mention them.

This isn't mission critical but it is good to ascertain what will what won't work then draw a line underneath it!

might I add PCIe to that? I know some people are still using the old PCI, but I might be moving to Windows 10 and wonder what others have done with the PCIe version???

Quick question, I got 1212m and 1818m,...

Can I install them on latest W10-64 ,.. just to have the mixer-functionality, using as AD/DA only, light-pibed from my RME-card ?

In case possible what software and procedure should I go for to make it work ?

Thanks in advance for any help, I would be happy to use these converters, they are still on top !!!
HM

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”