Apple to ditch Intel?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:40 am
BertKoor wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:32 am There's no need for you to have giant computing power on your lap. It can be used on the basis of actual need. It's called "The Cloud". Maybe not now, but it will happen.

It's a really old idea btw. In 1950 it was established that five strategically placed computers were sufficient to solve all computational problems of the world.
As you said yourself, the idea is old, but still didn't go further. Personally, I wouldn't trust any cloud for anything sensible. And presumably, I'm not alone.
You’re not. I trust it for very little and I’m sick of the obsessive push of companies to get us all subscribed to and reliant on internet services. I use iCloud for my iOS notes, scheduling, reminders, browser continuity, and that’s all. There’s no way I’m putting hundreds of megabytes to gigabytes of my data online, and I’m extremely reluctant to put even more reliance on “services” from an industry that expects to be excluded from warranties and accountability.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

V0RT3X wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:26 am I'm sure once Quantum computing becomes more and more mainstream we might just end up with such a scenario in the future. I'll still be happy using some beat up old Binary system though :hihi:
More and more mainstream? There is no quantum computing. There is a product that claims to be a quantum computer and isn’t. Then there’s the actual quantum computing research equipment that takes up an entire room to flip one qubit.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Anyways back OT.

I wonder if Apple will end up ditching Intel for their own CPU designs. It would be a interesting move, but it might just end up killing their user base for power users (Mac Pro users etc)
:borg:

As for the whole ditching of Intel thing... I don’t trust Apple to do ANYHING sensibly at this point. Apple are utterly clueless about the world around them, especially their content-creating, pro/prosumer Mac users. I wouldn’t put it past Apple to throw us all into another hellhole or lost software due to architecture change.

Why would they pay attention to power users? They only care about iOS product sales and Wall Street idiocy. They’re clearly not using their own product for the backend (they run PCs and Linux for the much vaunted “services”), and I can only assume that the constant proliferation of bugs in their product (especially iOS) means they don’t use any of their other product much at all on a daily basis. (They sure as f**k don’t use Safari on iOS to enter more than one sentence of text on web pages)

Fantasyland: I think the best thing they could actually do (but won’t) is simply ADD an ARM chip to the Intel computers. This would be extra CPU for other tasks (like the countless services constantly running in the background wasting CPU), just as CPUs with more cores have replaced development of faster CPUs. Such a companion CPU could be dedicated to running Marzipan(?) apps (if that’s what they’re calling their universal apps project), without a compatibility layer wasting system resources and without abandoning the faster Intel architecture, losing the entire library of Intel-architecture-dependent software currently in existence now.

I’m STILL using Rosetta on Snow Leopard, and have two PPC computers as backup for when that isn’t enough or I’m booted into a newer OS on both Intel machines.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Personally, I don’t see why they don’t just use many of the ARM chips together. Or ditch the cpu altogether for the multi-thousand stream processor systems in your average GPU. Both quite possible, even though they would require some significant work on the software end.

pekbro wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:12 pm Personally, I don’t see why they don’t just use many of the ARM chips together. Or ditch the cpu altogether for the multi-thousand stream processor systems in your average GPU. Both quite possible, even though they would require some significant work on the software end.
And when did Apple do some significative work on sofware end lately? As Jace-BeOS said, even their "precious" iOS is a bug fest nowadays. If Apple ever try to use GPUs tfor some kind of collaborative work at the CPU level, that would be a nightmare for users, I'm sure.
Last edited by fmr on Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

ARM coders:

pekbro wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:20 pm Heh, well that would make you significantly more impressed with Apple than he was.
An accusation that whilst no doubt fair, I never expected to have aimed at me. :lol:

Apple will likely use bionic chips, the iPad Pro is a glimpse into what Apple will be using in the future on their systems running OSX.

What will that mean for musicians? Probably not a lot, since they're already coding software for the new chips.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

Apple's chips have enough power for x86 virtualization now. But IIRC they don't like anything on this regard. They killed PowerPC bridge Rosetta and 32-bit is going to be unavailable on next macOS release.

benjamind wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:22 pm Apple will likely use bionic chips, the iPad Pro is a glimpse into what Apple will be using in the future on their systems running OSX.

What will that mean for musicians? Probably not a lot, since they're already coding software for the new chips.
As long as they add a proper cooling system and enable finally multi-core for realtime audio (which is not possible right now on any iOS device.
At the end i do not care as long as my software runs still....also i do not want to step back.
We will see a glimpse at what Apple might do in some days. I wonder if they show a new mac pro.
I was a big fan of iOS and ARM but it is so far away from even my 5 years old intel macbook that i doubt they are ready in the next years.

Dunno. it seems like a pretty silly move to me.
They ditched the proprietary Motorola chips for a reason. Moving to intel was probably the smartest (and most cost-effective) move they made (as painful as it might've been at the time).

If it goes down like it did the last time, folks will have to wait months for their 3rd party software (like DAWs) to catch up, because apple slipped the whole new architecture in at a dot release of the OS. it pretty much sucked.

and at the end of the day, we just ended up with yesteryear's pc laptops in schnazzy aluminum bodies with all of the expansion removed, for twice the price. (that said, i really prefer Mac OS to windows...i like mac, but the hardware disparity with laptops made pc a no-brainer when i last bought).
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

Perhaps if Intel offered decent mobile processors, Apple would ditch ARM (like they did with PowerPC).

I imagine a lot of it, is about intel raping everyone on the cost of chips that only they can manufacture.
ARM is just a license I believe, anyone holding it can manufacture them, contract their manufacture etc.
ARM is already widely established and probably a lot more cost effective than either intel or amd.
Proprietary chips are probably a huge expense as well, involving substantial risk.

So Intel could make their own x86 + ARM at any time, right?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”