Apple to ditch Intel?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

medienhexer wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:56 am The benchmarks are all over the internet. Do a search.
Those that I'm aware of clearly show ARM way below i5 (and the i5 compared was an older generation). No mention to i7 or i9, or the newest generations. :lol:

This is comparing ARM supposed top of the line to an old middle-line Intel processor. And even those clearly outperform the ARM. Good luck with your ARM based Macbooks. :hihi:

And you still didn't tell which CPUs cost "$1000 and more", and which are the "top of the line" Macs you referred to that carry those CPUs.
Last edited by fmr on Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

There's no need for you to have giant computing power on your lap. It can be used on the basis of actual need. It's called "The Cloud". Maybe not now, but it will happen.

It's a really old idea btw. In 1950 it was established that five strategically placed computers were sufficient to solve all computational problems of the world.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:32 am There's no need for you to have giant computing power on your lap. It can be used on the basis of actual need. It's called "The Cloud". Maybe not now, but it will happen.

It's a really old idea btw. In 1950 it was established that five strategically placed computers were sufficient to solve all computational problems of the world.
As you said yourself, the idea is old, but still didn't go further. Personally, I wouldn't trust any cloud for anything sensible. And presumably, I'm not alone.
Fernando (FMR)

Lol... so, in 2012, it was announced that Apple will ditch Intel in favor of ARM. Now, it's 2019, and it is announced that Apple will ditch Intel in favor of ARM. We really live in crazy times. :D

If it really comes to that (i highly doubt it), Mac users will probably storm Apple's HQ, and force them with firepower to get some serious calculating power in their expensive machines again. Although Apple did it before, with non-sufficient powered USB ports, incapable cooling, or breaking hard drives.

Note that i really don't have anything against Apple, it's just ridiculous when you read that their devices are so superior, and then you read that they may ditch Intel for ARM... just one example.

I still think this is fake news though.

BertKoor wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:32 am There's no need for you to have giant computing power on your lap. It can be used on the basis of actual need. It's called "The Cloud". Maybe not now, but it will happen.

Is this supposed to convey something other than you think you have this lofty view others do not on the topic?
It looks like nonsense.

What is this 'giant computing power'? It has little if anything to do with the actual matter before us.

is the 1950 statement supposed to be facetious?
You're not conveying anything except attitude.

If this shift happens, I would anticipate a very quiet year in development from the big guys. The switch from Power to Intel meant that all the larger vendors worked all the hours that [insert fave deity here] sent on their existing product lines to port them to OSX on Intel. It was crickets as far as new stuff except from smaller, PC only, type devs. I gather that in some areas, porting to ARM is pretty much just recompiling for that platform but I would not expect that ease with optimised for Intel DSP code.
Last edited by egbert on Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm sure all the big corporations and governments would love it if they could control all the mainframes in the world and then just have us end-users remotely connect for whatever we need.

I'm sure once Quantum computing becomes more and more mainstream we might just end up with such a scenario in the future. I'll still be happy using some beat up old Binary system though :hihi:
:borg:

pekbro wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:39 am I was talking to the CTO of Synaptics (Touchpads) about a year ago, he was telling me about
how apple tried to "make a deal with them". Apples terms forbid them from selling to anyone
else, this was not a takeover mind you.
In which case, I would have to admire the audacity of Apple to assume that Synaptics would be willing to throw away the rather large slice of market share that they own, in order to sell far less units exclusively to Apple.

It is, and I've been reading about how it will revolutionise the world since the 80's and I'm stll waiting.

Taking off my reseller hat I don't like thin clients on a peronal level. My data is my data and I want it locally. There are a world of security concerns here that might well make it prohibitive for any large scale firm to manage it's data security risk free, without running it's own dedicated server farms.

We're still at the point where telecoms remains substandard enough for most of the planet and even in America where we'd expect to see early adoption of clouds services, thier data networks are an utter shit show outside of the major urban centres from my understanding. Until you can get highspeed fibre that has a 99.9% uptime to the vast majority of a populace cloud is not the answer.

Aside from that, when it comes to audio handling we have latency to deal with locally, that'll only be amplified over long distance networks.

I agree it's coming, but I'm still not entirely sure if it'll be within my working life and I'm not utterly convinced that it'll benefit every segment.

Still, we do sell cloud-based solutions and cloud-based AI specifically is our fastest growing segment, but then I reckon we're still ahead of the curve on that and nobody really wants to be dropping half a million on a render box for a short term project when you can just hire access for a week.

V0RT3X wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:26 am I'm sure once Quantum computing becomes more and more mainstream we might just end up with such a scenario in the future. I'll still be happy using some beat up old Binary system though :hihi:
:borg:

Kaine wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:50 am
pekbro wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:39 am I was talking to the CTO of Synaptics (Touchpads) about a year ago, he was telling me about
how apple tried to "make a deal with them". Apples terms forbid them from selling to anyone
else, this was not a takeover mind you.
In which case, I would have to admire the audacity of Apple to assume that Synaptics would be willing to throw away the rather large slice of market share that they own, in order to sell far less units exclusively to Apple.

Heh, well that would make you significantly more impressed with apple than he was. He had
no love for apple whatsoever, considering them quite evil apparently...

Apple won't ditch Intel.

/thread

Granted, they seemingly lack a viable alternative currently. ARM may or may not pave the way
ahead in this for them, depending on what kind of solutions they can arrive at. Definitely, they
a seeking a solution that excludes Intel, barring any miraculous success in the seemingly impossible
proposition of taking control of Intel of course.

Anyway, I'm sure they will figure it out sooner or later.

pekbro wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:05 pm Anyway, I'm sure they will figure it out sooner or later.
Considering rumors started in 2012, and we are already in 2019, I'd say... laaaaater :hihi:

Actually, I think Apple have way more important things to take care, right now. Things don't look so bright anymore in the Apple universe, with their mobile devices losing sales year after year since 2015.
Fernando (FMR)

So maybe good for all the iOS developers while the big brands for win and mac are too late already to the party. :party: :D

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”