List of apps that can run from a flash drive

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You can add SawStudio to the list. Its completely portable and runs perfectly off of a flash drive. There's no dependant files in the registry and no need to place ini files anywhere. It will run on WDM, MME, ASIO, and DWAVE drivers.

clonewar wrote:You can add SawStudio to the list. Its completely portable and runs perfectly off of a flash drive. There's no dependant files in the registry and no need to place ini files anywhere. It will run on WDM, MME, ASIO, and DWAVE drivers.
yup that one was covered.
check my profile for contact info.
msn messenger is my email as well.

It sounds like to me if a music program has special installation requirments far as registering it that might make it difficult to run on a removable device. Most commercial plugins have to be registered too.

One thing Id liked about CM's Muzy is that its a lot tidyer than having it complicate the registry. If you want to remove it, just simple move the folder to the Recycle bin. The only things that realy need to be in the registry are only the crucial ones, and when they are uninstalled one hopes its done very tydily and nothing is left behind, which is not the case whith some of the very profession commerical programs. Id say leave the registry alone please so it does not get too complicated. I must say one would have to be very confident about their product to put it in the registry, and yet Iv tried so many?

I realy like the idea of running a music program on a removeable drive. Its a lot tydier, you can put it away and there is less clutter on your computer.

Anyone mention Psycle?

As I get lots of help from youz here I will lets youz in on this un.. Apparently this app MojoPack Will allow you to run any app from any memory card that can be connected to your comp including SD, FLASH, and ofcourse USB keys.. I havent actually tryed it myself yet but will very soon.. Check it out and let me know if it works for you!..

L

I will try that! I will put the demo on my USB drive and also onto my PSP memory card(which is larger, but works the same). And I will post back with my results, as well as update the first post with details.

Thanks for the link! There are a couple programs that I have been wanting to try on my USB drive, such as SynthEdit and others. Let's hope it works!

Brent
My host is better than your host

Lagrange wrote:As I get lots of help from youz here I will lets youz in on this un.. Apparently this app MojoPack Will allow you to run any app from any memory card that can be connected to your comp including SD, FLASH, and ofcourse USB keys.. I havent actually tryed it myself yet but will very soon.. Check it out and let me know if it works for you!..

L
This sounds like a great thing, especially for a consultant or roving tech person, like myself. Thanks for the heads up! :tu:

I hope I'm not hijacking maybe I should have started a new thread..

L

I haven't tried Psycle, but will just to check.

Also, many apps will run, even if they require some registry entries. For instance, I can run Tracktion on my flash drive. The registry entries are only for file type association, so the computer knows what program opens that type of file. Many programs do this. I have a couple other apps on my flash drive that use the registry. On installation, just choose to ignore when it asks about the registry and see if it works. Like I said, every part of Tracktion works(except Rewire, due to drivers) on my flash drive.

So it's worth trying, even if it does require the registry.

I'll definately post back about that app.

Brent
My host is better than your host

I tried loading MOJO onto my PSP but no go. The PSP doesn't see the installer. I loaded onto every damn folder just to see what happens and, well, nothing happens...damn!

EDIT: Ok, i tried installing from my PC instead of directly from the PSP and unfortunately, the PSP does not meet the USB 2.0 specifications for MOJO. :cry:
Even though it is 2.0, it doesn't meet certain requirments.

Assuming the Flash Drive is at least 1Gb than you can't overlook Dyne:Bolic which not only runs from a flash drive but is also a full fleged Linux distro. It includeds all sorts of audio stuff like Pure Data and SuperCollider and video stuff as well
"Music is a hidden arithmetic exercise of the soul, which doesn't know that it is counting." - Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz
---
e to the i pi plus one equals zero

Hate to ask a question to which the obvious answer may be no, but how about streaming samples? Can a flash drive or portable USB hard drive be used for, say, a piano, or is the load just too high? And do flash drives even support streaming samples?

pretty sure modplug tracker will run from a jump, i'll test it on the memorex i got running now, give me like an hour to get a round tuit ....

I'm having issues with it needing ASIO... on my computer at home it would work fine but most computers don't have ASIO drivers. I'd really like to get it on me jump drive too...

has anyone tried to get console working on usb?

edit:

OOPS!! I was talking about Luna...

Dude, what a topic....that Linux distro thing lokks waaaaaaaaaay cool......hmmm, always wanted to have a lash off linux.....it could be the time...
fisting the aesthetics of failure

Brambos' Lunchbox Battles works fine off of an SD card in my work laptop - I'm assuming it would run off a USB drive as well.

You can make a ton of beats with a 1GB SD card loaded up with samples. I bought a couple 1 GB SD cards at Walmart last weekend for $13.87 each.

-Scott

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”