List of apps that can run from a flash drive

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Regarding ASIO needs in eXT standalone: Isn't asio4all just an executable you can run from the memory stick when you need it? It has been quite a while since I last checked though..
snareSpanker

snareSpanker wrote:Regarding ASIO needs in eXT standalone: Isn't asio4all just an executable you can run from the memory stick when you need it? It has been quite a while since I last checked though..
It is - but it reconfigures the audio setup on the host PC so probably wouldn't run without Admin privilages. Also it requires WDM drivers - not all PC's will have those.

Personally I think it would be good for more apps to support WDM like Sonar does - then people could use that instead of MME without needing to install ASIO. I know WDM isn't as good as ASIO but its better than MME and at least commonly, though not universally, available without needing to install anything else. So to me USB Audio apps should support WDM.

snareSpanker wrote:Regarding ASIO needs in eXT standalone: Isn't asio4all just an executable you can run from the memory stick when you need it? It has been quite a while since I last checked though..
No, unfortunately ASIO works via the registry. It looks in the registry for a key to tell the application where the required ASIO dlls are. I'm not sure if ASIO could work without the registry. I'd have to look it up to be 100% sure though, but this is it IIRC.

Thanks Rob for testing this. I actually thought I didn't have an Application Data folder, but found that for some odd reason, "Show all file types and folders" got switched off. I know I didn't do it, so who knows. Maybe I'm just braindead.

With Reaper, I know that Justin said to just move the settings files to the install directory on the flash drive and it would work. Too bad that wouldn't work for Tracktion.

I did find registry entries for Tracktion though that had "Reg" in them.

I guess T2 would be a no go and too much of a hastle. I DID get the demo working just fine. But haven't registered it yet on there, so that's all I know.

I have other apps I want to test, and will update the post tonight with more and a better organization.

Brent
My host is better than your host

Ok, I got the new Airrack to work just fine, including installing directly to the drive. Adding it now!

FL Studio works with on a flash drive. I had it on an external drive. you just have to reinstall the registry entry for your registration on every computer you put it on. (dunno if that counts).

That will work for somebody. However, one of the limitations that some will be working with is that they don't have administrator rights. And it's not really mobile if you have to reinstall every time you switch computers.

Most programs will WORK from the flash drive, but not all of them will actually be mobile. So I'm trying to keep it as programs that remain totally mobile. Thank you for trying it though! Any tests are appreciated!

Brent

REAPER.

:dog:

duh i dont read first posts....
check my profile for contact info.
msn messenger is my email as well.

Yup, already on the list! Get with the program! :smack: :hihi:

HOUDINIwithFL wrote:FL Studio works with on a flash drive. I had it on an external drive. you just have to reinstall the registry entry for your registration on every computer you put it on. (dunno if that counts).
That's problematic because you have to have admin rights on that computer (i.e. no go for many computers at work).
Generally having to change anything on the host computer setup, including OS settings, is not flash drive friendly.
CubaseStudio4 µTonic/Rapture Nitro/GS-201/Ohmicide/TBK 1&3

Yes, so our goal is a list of TOTALLY independent programs, or ones that with a simple copy paste ONE TIME can run without depending on the OS.

Brent

SawStudio can run from a flash drive. No registry hooks, hoops to jump, will even use mme drivers.

cheers,
Doug
http://www.myspace.com/hisesoundlabs

dhise wrote:SawStudio can run from a flash drive. No registry hooks, hoops to jump, will even use mme drivers.

cheers,
Doug
I love the irony there - probably one of the most expensive and powerful DAWS there is and it will run from a USB key :)

aMUSEd wrote:
dhise wrote:SawStudio can run from a flash drive. No registry hooks, hoops to jump, will even use mme drivers.

cheers,
Doug
I love the irony there - probably one of the most expensive and powerful DAWS there is and it will run from a USB key :)
I bought the cheap basic version, but it does what I need it to do. The other day I had an idea to try splitting the inputs to two instances of SAW, one setup as a low-latency live mixer with effects through the rme... The second with higher buffers on my motu 896 for recording and damn if it didn't work just fine.

-Doug

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/08/22/starl ... ory_price/ ,not like they are a lot to begin with but thats cheap :o
Nobody's a nobody...

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”