I need your help on buying a new interface (possibly?)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's a long read, so I'll include a TL;DR at the bottom. Just scroll down and read that if you don't have time to read this whole thing bc I really need some help on this one. I wanna buy a new interface, I'm thinking the Focusrite 2i2, to fix the on going problems I'm having with my monitors. Is this a good idea?

Background Info
Okay so a quick run down. Last summer I bought a pair of Focal Alpha 50's, seen here. A big reason I bought them, the brand recoginition, their more pricey speakers are considered to be very high end and quality (or so I've heard, I wouldn't know I've never used them). And another is I bought them is I bought into their big selling point, which was the "inverted dome tweeter". It's supposed to have superior treble frequency response. I bought an old used PreSonus Audiobox 96. I am connecting my Alpha 50's to my PreSonus via XLR to TRS, with the XLR connecting to the Alpha's and the TRS to Audiobox. The Audiobox is connected via USB 2.0 to my PC.

Issues With Monitors
I have problems with my monitors. When ever they turn on they make this soft noise buzzing sound. It sounds like the internal noise of my computer. I describe it like this bc it's like a soft white noise with a distinct buzzing sound when you put your ear close to it. It's quiet but very noticeable if I'm not playing audio through them. And it quite honestly annoys the living f**k out me. I've been dealing with it for months and am finally deciding to not put up with it anymore.

Other weird things, whenever I scroll on my mouse, I can hear a soft noise coming from the speaker this only happens when I scroll. Whenever I turn the phantom power button on my interface on or off there's a very noticeable sound, it sounds like your car speakers when you plug your phone in the aux , or a microphone if you tap it slightly. If I plug an instrument cable or a microphone cable into my audio interface to record it, there is first a very loud, plugging in sound, then the soft noise that constantly emanates from the speakers becomes moderately louder and the buzzing sound is much louder.

My own research on this issue
I've read a while ago on a forum, either on here or GearSlutz someone said the Alpha's internal amp makes buzzing noises and that's why they didn't buy it. I've also read that balanced for unbalanced connections matter in terms of one makes way more noise than the other? I don't know if there's truth to this or people are just talking out their ass. I'm not sure whether I'm using unbalanced or balanced connection. Whenever I try to record something through my interface, it doesn't capture the sound of the mic or the instrument, it captures the sound of the soft noise that is going through my speakers at all times (unless they are off obvs). I've found no real helpful information on this topic.

Question
Would buying a new audio interface solve my problem, or would I have the same issues and just a lighter piggy bank?

TL;DR

Whenever my speakers are powered on there is a quiet yet irritating white noise sound, would buying a new audio interface fix this?
Why are the avatar's on here restricted to 50x50px? That's like absurdly small.

it sounds like a ground loop
maybe you could try to lift your ground with a DI box or ground loop isolator

Try running an extension cord from somewhere else in house maybe?
- to the sound card or computer

I had a similar problem to the one you describe, but with electronic noise, not white noise. Mouse moves and brighter things on the monitor(screen) made it vary in intensity. Your problem may well be within your speakers or interface, but I believe mine was EMI from the computer on it's audio components (present through several interfaces and the integrated chip as well), and obviously, from bringing mics and guitar pickups within range of the influence of the pc and screens, which can be fairly far given the right (or wrong) conditions.

The reason it's hard to find truly useful specific info is that the problem could be caused one of a handful of little things.

Moving to another interface helped somewhat, but creative gain staging masked most of mine. Making sure cabling avoids problem areas (power sources, etc.) can help as well. I also recently moved to a new machine which had significantly less of a problem with the noise.

It's a good practice to turn things down or mute when initializing phantom power, turning on an amp, or plugging a cable/instrument in. A merely irritating sound can turn into a speaker-blowing sound without much trouble.

ontol wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:56 pm I had a similar problem to the one you describe, but with electronic noise, not white noise. Mouse moves and brighter things on the monitor(screen) made it vary in intensity. Your problem may well be within your speakers or interface, but I believe mine was EMI from the computer on it's audio components (present through several interfaces and the integrated chip as well), and obviously, from bringing mics and guitar pickups within range of the influence of the pc and screens, which can be fairly far given the right (or wrong) conditions.

The reason it's hard to find truly useful specific info is that the problem could be caused one of a handful of little things.

Moving to another interface helped somewhat, but creative gain staging masked most of mine. Making sure cabling avoids problem areas (power sources, etc.) can help as well. I also recently moved to a new machine which had significantly less of a problem with the noise.

It's a good practice to turn things down or mute when initializing phantom power, turning on an amp, or plugging a cable/instrument in. A merely irritating sound can turn into a speaker-blowing sound without much trouble.
I've actually been thinking about upgrading my computer recently. Do you know what part of the computer might be causing the electrical interference? Ie, what should I replace? Like is it a bad sound card?

I'm working on better cabling, some else recommended using an extension cord or ground loop isolator to reduce humming and I'll look into that as well.
Why are the avatar's on here restricted to 50x50px? That's like absurdly small.

ontol wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:56 pm I had a similar problem to the one you describe, but with electronic noise, not white noise. Mouse moves and brighter things on the monitor(screen) made it vary in intensity.
Hehe, i know this problem. :) Didn't have it since i have my new display though. Quite common stuff though.

You need to first know if you leads are truly balanced, if they are not moulded unscrew and look. Ensure all 3 wires in the lead are connected to the jack and XLR. I had a similar issue trying to get away with using unbalanced cables and the problems vanished by 90pct when I used balanced cables.

You will also find that fairly low cost speakers produce a very little hiss/white noise (not generally buzz though) if you get very close with your ears... even without anything connected to them.

Computer power supplies are switched mode in design and generally can produce a lot of
noise throughout the PC. If you are capable and compentent it might be worth checking everything is screwed down well onto the metal PC chassis.

I would also try a different USB lead if you have one hanging around spare. Try the easy and free/cheap things first and see how you get on.

Unless the soundcard has developed a specific fault on the TRS outs you can see if it is humming/hissing as a whole with the headphone amp.

kvraudioaccount wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:38 pm
ontol wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:56 pm I had a similar problem to the one you describe, but with electronic noise, not white noise....
I've actually been thinking about upgrading my computer recently. Do you know what part of the computer might be causing the electrical interference? Ie, what should I replace? Like is it a bad sound card?

I'm working on better cabling, some else recommended using an extension cord or ground loop isolator to reduce humming and I'll look into that as well.
I was never able to isolate to the component causing the interference, but eliminated most of it through creative gain staging and an external eq. I had tried getting a good sound card, before I used the rig for recording but it did not help. Switching to an external interface did not change things either.

I did all the research on it a few years back, so my memory is not fresh. I do remember coming to the conclusion the interference was being caused within the rig, and not from outside--so there was little I could (or was willing to) do to completely remove the noise.

Luckily I am also old so was missing the highest pitches anyway... :hihi:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”