Going from 48k to 44.1k

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have spoken to a technical support agent from Sweetwater a couple weeks ago, and I was talking to him about sample rates. I like to produce in Ableton at 48k because listening on headphones, I hear a big difference and I love it.

But as of late, for possible better workflow, and to decrease CPU load I’ve been thinking about switching back to 44.1k. The agent I spoke to said that would cause issues. But he did not really explain why or what issues it would cause. Even after I asked why and what. He just said to stick to one sample rate.

Ive searched a bit on google for answers. Couldn’t find a thread answering my specific question.

If anyone can explain the hard facts (science) behind it and why I should worry about it, I would greatly appreciate it! I just want to know if it’s “okay” to switch back and forth, why or why not?..

What type of projects do you do?

With just vst synths & effects + samplers it's ok. Switch to whatever rate all the time is no problem. It's all calculated on the go anyway.

But with recorded audio (vocal tracks etc) you don't want to convert too often from one rate to another.

Nb did you read the recent 44 vs 48 khz thread?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

No I did not see that thread but I will look for it and read up!

Yes I only use VST synths, fx, and samples. I don’t record anything into the DAW unless I’m doing a sound design session. In which I’m just using the “recording” function/feature within Ableton to record audio thats already In Ableton, or midi from a synth.

But when arranging songs I won’t even do that.

The absolute majority of sample libraries are made in 44k, so when running 48k you get realtime sample rate conversion of those - and that takes a little extra cpu.

So I think you have nothing but gain from moving to 44k, unless you hear a difference that says otherwise, of course. Aliasing is worse in 44k when resampling pitches in synths - but does it bother enough. If to look at that, there are plugins that upsample to 96k whatever is loaded - and also a way to get less aliasing.

Upsampling is built in Bandlab Sonar and also ability in ddmf Metaplugin, check a box and what is loaded inside is ran inside 48k project at 96k instead without running full projects in 96k.

I still run project in 48k and just do 44k conversion at mixdown when just audio. Doing mostly video now I stay on 48k and no conversions.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”