Strum packs

Official support for: indiginus.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm really liking Strummaker 4. It has everything I wished SM3 had had and then some. Also just downloaded AGC Remix and, from just a short bit of use, it looks like it is going to make something already good even better.
Now that SM4 has the ability to save strum patterns to disk, I wondered if you'd ever thought of making some more strum patterns available to buy. I can get into the ballpark when making up patterns but they always lack the last 5% of 'reality' that you get with yours. For example, I've never (yet) been able to recreate a convincing pattern for songs like The Eagles 'Take It Easy' or a pattern like The Beatles 'Help'. Close, but no cigar.
I don't know how popular strum pattern packs would be, but I'd be first in the queue.
Again, a great job done with SM4. I would have bought it ages ago but for problems with PayPal.

This is an old post ... but unfortunately no replies so far.

I don't know if Indiginus will ever offer strum packs, but I see two problems:

1) Since Kontakt scripts only allow one pattern to be saved in one specific array, you would have to have oodles of them to load one at a time to create any useful strum alterations for a song.

2). Since strum patterns need to be time signature specific, i.e., 3/4, 6/8, 4/4, etc., and beat rhythm specific, i.e., 1/4/ 1/8, 1/16, 1/8 triplet and 1/16 triplet, you would need to have lots of variations to load one at a time to assemble for useful rhythms true to a song you are trying to cover.

What I am learning to do is identify the song time signature and rhythm and then edit one strum pattern that is pretty close to it's basic rhythm. For example, take a country song in waltz time. One bar would be 9 sequencer steps for pattern for 3/4 time and then 1/8 triplet for country feel.

Work in a few mutes in the 9 steps for rhythm emphasis; pull down a few chord playing steps to silence them and then arrange the other 5 or so sliders with a couple on solid beats of the bar, the 1, 4 and 7 steps.

Adjust this to taste and then be sure to "Save Pattern To" the pattern position you have been working on. Then save the pattern in Kontakt itself. I would make a sub-folder when the main folder opens and call it something like '3-4 1/8 triplets." If i started working on pattern 1, I would save it here with an appropriate name that includes 'Pattern 1.'

In this example you can only make a one bar strums, since you would need 18 steps to make a two bar pattern and the sequencer only has 16.

However, here's where the fun begins.

Now copy your saved strum from Pattern 1 to Pattern 2. Make a variation by changing the mutes, lowering the overall level, reversing a couple of velocity sliders, etc. Before you leave Pattern 2, make sure you save your changes to Pattern 2 using the "Save Pattern To" function. In other words, you always save the pattern you are working on to itself. To restate the obvious, once you have saved to the pattern also save the pattern in Kontakt for future use.

Now with your chord progression try alternating back and for between your two related strums.

Usually three or four related patterns used along with a few up stroke or down stroke chords from the other banks will be all you will need for a whole song.

Now that you've saved what you've created in your sub-folder, you have an arsenal for future songs and an easy way to continue to build up your collection of strum patterns.
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

Return to “Indiginus”