Photosounder: how to have two layers with two different sounds

Official support for: photosounder.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I have just bought Photosounder, which I like very much. However, I have a very simple question. It's probably me, but I was trying to apply the "Vocoder" script (from the Photosounder site) and I cannot figure out how to have two different sounds in two different layers at the same time. When I open the second sound, the first one is lost. The "Copy" function seems not to work (after "Copy", the "Paste" command is NOT activated and remains dimmed and not available). Is there a way to open a new sound in a new layer, keeping the old sound in the already existing old layer? I'm using Mac OS X El Capitan (OS X 10.11.3).
Sorry for the "silly" question… and thank you for any help.

I see you answered my question on another web page, thank you very much.

XComposer wrote:I see you answered my question on another web page, thank you very much.
Oh yeah my bad somehow I missed your first post.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

Hello,
what was the answer to this request? Perhaps a link to the mysterious other web page?
Cheers.
No Such Error | nosucherror.com

Hello,

I believe it was this fakebook post:
https://www.facebook.com/Photosounder/p ... 9248651585

quote:
" Photosounder: Sadly there's no way to load two different sounds, for that you need to use an external editor, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA3KZbfJGD8 "

Thanks for that Pottering, much appreciated.
No Such Error | nosucherror.com

Yes, it was that one. Sorry, I didn't see your request.

A_SN, so, really there is no option to load another file to new layer ? Damn, frankly to say im surprized by just observed that moment now.

c_voltage wrote:A_SN, so, really there is no option to load another file to new layer ? Damn, frankly to say im surprized by just observed that moment now.
Yeah sadly. But hopefully when I get some dialogs into v1.10 I'll add an import function. I know it's pretty limiting.

A_SN wrote:
c_voltage wrote:A_SN, so, really there is no option to load another file to new layer ? Damn, frankly to say im surprized by just observed that moment now.
Yeah sadly. But hopefully when I get some dialogs into v1.10 I'll add an import function. I know it's pretty limiting.
Yes, btw i'm found this limitation exactly after your post about convolution (i the same not noticed before this feature damn) but if think, nothing strange that it is not noticed enough, exactly because this limitation :D (yet these are related things) .
A_SN if you will add some solution in future, i think it will be completely another deal.

c_voltage wrote:
A_SN wrote:
Yes, btw i'm found this limitation exactly after your post about convolution (i the same not noticed before this feature damn) but if think, nothing strange that it is not noticed enough, exactly because this limitation :D .
A_SN if you will add some solution in future, i think it will be completely another deal.
Actually as convolution currently exists it wouldn't do well with an import feature because the more non-zero pixels a layer has the slower the convolution gets (proportionally, yeah that's pretty bad), so if let's say you convolved two sounds since every pixel would be non-zero it would be so slow that the whole thing would freeze for like 10 minutes. That's because back in 2011 I didn't have a 2D FFT routine available needed to make it the fast way, so now this is what I'm working on. When that's done it will do convolution in less than a second regardless of what's in the layers, so then later when I add the very important import function we'll be able to do wild stuff by convolving images of sounds together.

Of course then people will still miss it, so I need to showcase it and explain it properly. Actually I think I'm starting to get the point of Photosounder, I always thought of it as a way to do specific practical things except it doesn't do them quite as well as dedicated tools do (like imagine doing equalisation of a track in Photosounder, which I unironically used it for), but now I think I get it, what it's great at is doing wild stuff, and I guess that's what people always liked in it, so that's a good direction to pursue, and the ability to deal with more than one file at once and do things like convolution is very important for that.

Btw the background in the FB post's screenshot is just what happens when you convolve a hand drawn vertical curve with an horizontal curve, which I find pretty amazing, I literally did it in 5 seconds without thinking twice about it.

Oh by the way, where would you expect (like when you were looking for it before realising it wasn't there) to find the import file to a layer feature? Like in which menu? Or perhaps it should have its own button? And would you expect it to be called Import or something more clear?

For me something like "Open as new layer…" in a "File" menu, immediately after a normal "Open…" menu item, would be the most logical choice. I am used to such layout on the Mac.

A_SN Ok good.
A_SN wrote:Oh by the way, where would you expect (like when you were looking for it before realising it wasn't there) to find the import file to a layer feature? Like in which menu? Or perhaps it should have its own button? And would you expect it to be called Import or something more clear?
At first (after create new layer) i mechanically press to "Open" button, but having seen "save before closing" dialog i figured that it will replace whole project in any case :) Then i actually looked in "File" menu, so did'not found this. About where better - well, logically yes, perhaps in File menu, like some "Import" command.

XComposer wrote:For me something like "Open as new layer…" in an "Open" menu would be the most logical choice.
I like the wording "Open as new layer…". I'd probably make it a menu entry right below "Open...".

Return to “Photosounder”