Photosounder Spiral 1.0 is released!

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Spiral

The most useful spectral analyser for music is finally complete, and here it is: http://photosounder.com/spiral/
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

Congrats on the release! It's a beautiful plugin. =]

Very nice and usefull !

By the way, is there a possibility to control the Rec and GoLive buttons ?
I have searched for a parameter to make them MIDI learn and I didn't found them.

Does anyone have a problem with the demo limitations? Someone emailed me to tell me they're upset about them.

Edit: wait, just re-read the e-mail, it also says "Roland's RM-X and iZotope's RMX seems just as, if not more useful from your product" they do nothing in common :hihi: opinion discarded.
acousmod wrote:Very nice and usefull !

By the way, is there a possibility to control the Rec and GoLive buttons ?
I have searched for a parameter to make them MIDI learn and I didn't found them.
Oh no sorry they're not automatable as of now, I didn't think anyone would want to do that. Just out of curiosity, what do you want to do that for? I'll make sure to add it.

I thought that it would be nice to operate it from a control surface or even a tablet.

I've finally made the video that explains it all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEiKMVB0wmg&vq=hd1080

Hey, when was the last day of the sale for this? I see some places that it was 9/29 but clicking on the coupon at PluginBoutique shows 10/1, but won't let me use it. (was hoping i got in under the deadline, but maybe not...)

chroma wrote:Hey, when was the last day of the sale for this? I see some places that it was 9/29 but clicking on the coupon at PluginBoutique shows 10/1, but won't let me use it. (was hoping i got in under the deadline, but maybe not...)
Yeah it was supposed to be 9/29, I don't know exactly when they actually stop it though.

hmm, guessed i missed it... need to pay more attention to details next time!

Spiral is a great frequency analyzer software, one of a kind.But I am missing some features in Spiral that could be easily integrated as I think. Maybe with some sacrifice to buffer and therefore delay, but as the Resolution parameter already introduces some remarkable delay, my suggestion wouldn’t add too much more.
It’s simple, I just would like to see two filters in Spiral. A high pass filter and a low pass filter. If they could play together so the user has a sort of a band pass filter with freely assignable width and centre frequency at hand (Yes, you could also add that directly),
I think it would be a lot easier to filter out certain overtones that might distract the user from the main frequencies. And on the other side, maybe the user is in search of only the higher frequencies or the overtones. And this way, the user could filter out the root tone to see the overtones better.
Well another interesting suggestion would be Midi generation and output, but I think that is asked too much yet.
Oh, I just saw another thing that should be easy to implement:
It would be great to also see the keys in the right visualization window. :)
And if it was possible to extend that window a bit, that would be awesome!
Thank you!

Soman wrote:Spiral is a great frequency analyzer software, one of a kind.But I am missing some features in Spiral that could be easily integrated as I think. Maybe with some sacrifice to buffer and therefore delay, but as the Resolution parameter already introduces some remarkable delay, my suggestion wouldn’t add too much more.
It’s simple, I just would like to see two filters in Spiral. A high pass filter and a low pass filter. If they could play together so the user has a sort of a band pass filter with freely assignable width and centre frequency at hand (Yes, you could also add that directly),
I think it would be a lot easier to filter out certain overtones that might distract the user from the main frequencies. And on the other side, maybe the user is in search of only the higher frequencies or the overtones. And this way, the user could filter out the root tone to see the overtones better.
Well another interesting suggestion would be Midi generation and output, but I think that is asked too much yet.
Oh, I just saw another thing that should be easy to implement:
It would be great to also see the keys in the right visualization window. :)
And if it was possible to extend that window a bit, that would be awesome!
Thank you!
I'm not gonna do any of those things :). I don't think the filter idea makes much sense tbh.

Haha, at least you're honest! Well, should be easy to put such a filter before Spiral in the chain. Though it surely would have been easier to have it in Spiral directly.
And I still think it makes sense. Not everybody is so familiar with the graphical output. In fact I think you have spent the most time of us all in front of Spiral's gui.
So for us in order to avoid graphical distractions from the overtones it is useful.
But I saw that there are some additional hidden color faders that are not in the gui which might act similar.
Could you maybe at least re-implement them in the gui? To be opened by a switch for example?
And if not, I have a friend who can implement this in your code for me. ;)
Ok, well the Midi thing is special, I admit.
Anyway, the next suggestions will be for Photosounder. ;)

I just got Spiral and have a question and a few suggestions:

Is it possible to delete a harmonic overlay (or even just clear all overlays)? It can get a little messy if you miss a click or two and it seems you have to reload the plugin to get a clean display again.

Would it be possible to have a toggle to limit the audio output to what the pan window is showing? The pan window is a great feature for isolating sounds, but it would be even more powerful if we could hear exactly what we are seeing.

Finally, a note/freq scale on the regular sonogram display would be nice too and open up spiral to more 'classic' sonogram usage.

wasi wrote:I just got Spiral and have a question and a few suggestions:

Is it possible to delete a harmonic overlay (or even just clear all overlays)? It can get a little messy if you miss a click or two and it seems you have to reload the plugin to get a clean display again.

Would it be possible to have a toggle to limit the audio output to what the pan window is showing? The pan window is a great feature for isolating sounds, but it would be even more powerful if we could hear exactly what we are seeing.

Finally, a note/freq scale on the regular sonogram display would be nice too and open up spiral to more 'classic' sonogram usage.
You can delete harmonic overlays by dragging them outside, then they are deleted.

I really thought about doing the pan window audio thing but from the way it looks I'd say it would sound like hell, like, bad MP3 compression times a million. In the future I'd like to research the question more to see if maybe there are other better ways to do that.

I specifically want to avoid doing the last thing, although it would be reasonable for me to make a cheaper standalone visualiser like that, I'm just not jumping on it because I'm afraid the interest might be quite anemic. The display on the right was originally just meant so you'd know where you are in a recording, then I figured it wouldn't hurt to have it also work live, but some people want me to turn it into something that would allow you to see pitch from it with a piano keyboard overlay, which sucks compared to the Spiral display but is more familiar for many people so they might want to stick to that. So no.

Thanks for the reply! I must have tried everything except dragging outside the window. :lol:

The pan window audio would be useful even if it sounds horrible, not to listen back to audio like that but to make sure you're isolating the right instrument (and then switch back to full audio). I was trying to isolate a classical guitar from a Cajon and a synth (curse you Al di Meola) the other day and it was really hard to figure out if I was 'tracking' the right one. The Cajon was messing with the percussive sounds and the synth with the harmonic sounds.

But I guess there's a point where 'really bad' becomes unusable, lol.

Return to “Photosounder”