Clicks with saved stereo sounds (Photosounder version 1.9)

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello!

I finaly had the chance to update to version 1.9 (OSX) however I've noticed that I get small clicks in the stereo sounds, using the Mix Channel Files to Stereo technique. I tried different sounds with different settings, and all the stereo sounds rendered with the Mix Channel Files to Stereo have some tiny clicks here and there. Particularly audible with smooth drone/pad like sounds. These clicks are not audible when the sounds are saved in mono. I never had these clicks with the previous versions.

Is it something someone and the Dev can somehow reproduce & confirm as well? Can that be fixed?

Thanks!

Update: it looks like the clicks appear only with sounds where I used the move tool to lower the whole image and get low pitch. Here an obvious .wav example linked to my dropbox with very audible clicks. Also, it seems the clicks are at regular intervals, every 4 seconds or so. Here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/co7a8whjgpe14 ... ounder.wav

Michel, is it something you're aware of or ever encountered?? :?:

The dev: Nope? Nothing? :(

I updated to 1.9 and since then as you can hear in the sound I uploaded I get lots of clicks with it, as I use alot of downscale & low pitch. Nothing can be done? I'm stuck with these annoying clicks? :?:

Sounds like it might be an issue with libsndfile. This being said there is strictly no difference in the relevant code between 1.8.3 and 1.9, and I don't think I've updated the version of libsndfile between the two, do you really not get the same problem with 1.8.3? Also are you sure that it's only an issue that arises when doing the stereo joining thing?

Also if you want a timely reply or report a bug send an email, the forum is more for discussion, and since there ain't much going on there I don't check it that often.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

A_SN wrote:Sounds like it might be an issue with libsndfile. This being said there is strictly no difference in the relevant code between 1.8.3 and 1.9, and I don't think I've updated the version of libsndfile between the two, do you really not get the same problem with 1.8.3? Also are you sure that it's only an issue that arises when doing the stereo joining thing?

Also if you want a timely reply or report a bug send an email, the forum is more for discussion, and since there ain't much going on there I don't check it that often.
Thanks for the reply, appreciated.

I'm pretty sure this was not present with 1.8.3. But to be sure, I will make some tests side by side with the exact same sound sources and let you know to be sure. I can't hear the clicks in the mono files, but again let me try one more time to be sure but yeah, so far it seems to appear only when mixing the files into a stereo render. One thing is sure though, the clicks are audible only when the pitch is quite low. Can you hear them in the file I posted?

To finish, can you give me your email please, I'll send you the results of my tests to let you know and be sure we're targeting the right bug.

Thanks!
Last edited by Neon Breath on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Neon Breath wrote:
A_SN wrote:Sounds like it might be an issue with libsndfile. This being said there is strictly no difference in the relevant code between 1.8.3 and 1.9, and I don't think I've updated the version of libsndfile between the two, do you really not get the same problem with 1.8.3? Also are you sure that it's only an issue that arises when doing the stereo joining thing?

I'm pretty sure this was not present with 1.8.3. But to be sure, I will make some tests side by side with the exact same sound sources and let you know to be sure. I can't whear the clicks in the mono files, but again let me try one more time to be sure but yeah, so far it seems only when mixing the files for a stereo render. One thing is sure, the clicks were audible only when the pitch is quite low. Can you hear them in the file I posted?

To finish, can you give me your email please, I'll send you the results of my tests to let you know and be sure we're targeting the right bug.

Thanks!
The email address is on the website (I won't post it in plain text to avoid it being crawlable, the one on the website is in JavaScript so it doesn't have that problem).

And yeah you can view the clicks very plainly by opening the WAV file again in Photosounder, shows up as regular vertical bars. You can use that to know for sure if clicks are in a file. When you can't trust your ears you can always trust your eyes ;).

A_SN wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:

I'm pretty sure this was not present with 1.8.3. But to be sure, I will make some tests side by side with the exact same sound sources and let you know to be sure. I can't whear the clicks in the mono files, but again let me try one more time to be sure but yeah, so far it seems only when mixing the files for a stereo render. One thing is sure, the clicks were audible only when the pitch is quite low. Can you hear them in the file I posted?

Thanks!
The email address is on the website (I won't post it in plain text to avoid it being crawlable, the one on the website is in JavaScript so it doesn't have that problem).

And yeah you can view the clicks very plainly by opening the WAV file again in Photosounder, shows up as regular vertical bars. You can use that to know for sure if clicks are in a file. When you can't trust your ears you can always trust your eyes ;).
Got it!

Ok let me do some side by side tests 1.8 VS 1.9 and I will get back to you with some more details regarding this issue.

Thanks again.

Neon Breath wrote:Got it!

Ok let me do some side by side tests 1.8 VS 1.9 and I will get back to you with some more details regarding this issue.

Thanks again.
Thank you for the testing ;) I appreciate it.

:tu: I love Photosounder so it's a pleasure!

Two and a half years on from the last post (which shows how often i glance at this forum), can i just chime in and say i regularly experience clicks in rendered images. It appears to be something to do with the resolution of the source image, but i can't say for certain. But if an image causes clicks once, i find it always will.

5against4 wrote:Two and a half years on from the last post (which shows how often i glance at this forum), can i just chime in and say i regularly experience clicks in rendered images. It appears to be something to do with the resolution of the source image, but i can't say for certain. But if an image causes clicks once, i find it always will.
Clicks are due to the way chunks of sound are rendered with the default synthesis mode. Long story short it happens but only with the default synthesis mode, not the live synthesis mode which is arguably better anyway.

Return to “Photosounder”