Photosounder 1.9 with live synthesis is out!

Official support for: photosounder.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

werp wrote:Photosounder: has it died or is it still breathing?
It's headed for reincarnation! But for now it's also still breathing.

Reincarnation (aka version 2.0) because I'm gonna do a rewrite, still breathing because I might still issue some small fixes to what's currently there.

I've got a new live lossless mode in the works (started working on it a few months ago, but I think I'll complete it when v2.0 is more fleshed out), and recently I started working on a new analysis algorithm which should be much more precise. So I'm doing a rewrite because with those new algorithms and my desire to ditch the synthesis modes that are non-live all I'd have left from Photosounder 1.0 would be the interface (well, that and the awkward way its inside developed, when a project grows and changes so much over the course of its lifetime the way it's organised inside tends to suffer), and the old interface is precisely what cramps the practicality and the development of Photosounder. Going further without a complete rewrite would be like taking an old car and changing everything from the engine to the seats yet keeping the same old rusty bodywork.

This is gonna take some time, but work has started and 2.0 will be worth the wait, I'm gonna do something nice and more flexible with the interface and the way it works, everything will be happening live and in stereo and it will have a workflow more similar to that of a DAW. My overall new focus will be to make it more practical to actually make music with it, although I'm also pondering maybe first going for something simple and more similar to the current Photosounder (but with all the added improvements) and then later building from that doing something more ambitious and more akin to a real DAW.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

Cool.
Thanks for the extremely rapid response :-)
updates on your progress towards version two would be much appreciated.
cheers.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

werp wrote:Cool.
Thanks for the extremely rapid response :-)
updates on your progress towards version two would be much appreciated.
cheers.
Will do as soon as I have something that even vaguely resembles Photosounder!

Pretty sure it's still breathing, but yeah I'd love to have an update on that, see what's going on... Hopefully, Photosounder will get a nice and solid update in 2015 :)

A_SN wrote:
werp wrote:Photosounder: has it died or is it still breathing?
It's headed for reincarnation! But for now it's also still breathing.

Reincarnation (aka version 2.0) because I'm gonna do a rewrite, still breathing because I might still issue some small fixes to what's currently there.

I've got a new live lossless mode in the works (started working on it a few months ago, but I think I'll complete it when v2.0 is more fleshed out), and recently I started working on a new analysis algorithm which should be much more precise. So I'm doing a rewrite because with those new algorithms and my desire to ditch the synthesis modes that are non-live all I'd have left from Photosounder 1.0 would be the interface (well, that and the awkward way its inside developed, when a project grows and changes so much over the course of its lifetime the way it's organised inside tends to suffer), and the old interface is precisely what cramps the practicality and the development of Photosounder. Going further without a complete rewrite would be like taking an old car and changing everything from the engine to the seats yet keeping the same old rusty bodywork.

This is gonna take some time, but work has started and 2.0 will be worth the wait, I'm gonna do something nice and more flexible with the interface and the way it works, everything will be happening live and in stereo and it will have a workflow more similar to that of a DAW. My overall new focus will be to make it more practical to actually make music with it, although I'm also pondering maybe first going for something simple and more similar to the current Photosounder (but with all the added improvements) and then later building from that doing something more ambitious and more akin to a real DAW.
Wow, that is fantastic news! Sounds very promising, can't wait! Youknow I love Photosounder, let me know if you need a beta tester for v2 :P

Neon Breath wrote:Wow, that is fantastic news! Sounds very promising, can't wait! Youknow I love Photosounder, let me know if you need a beta tester for v2 :P
Alright yeah! Can I PM you if I need an opinion or something (like say, a design choice)? One never has enough beta testers who actually give feedback. And I'm close to 0.

A_SN wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:Wow, that is fantastic news! Sounds very promising, can't wait! Youknow I love Photosounder, let me know if you need a beta tester for v2 :P
Alright yeah! Can I PM you if I need an opinion or something (like say, a design choice)? One never has enough beta testers who actually give feedback. And I'm close to 0.
Strangely, not sure why I've never seen your reply :?

So yes sure! Let me know and PM me anytime for tests and help on v2.

Going well? Hopefully it is :D

Neon Breath wrote:Going well? Hopefully it is :D
Yeah, I've started on the GUI, with a new fancy vector GUI system because the GUI was too limited in Photosounder which really got in the way of developing the program further. Who knows, when that's mostly done (which might be soonish) things might go fast. Or not, I'm not sure about that.

:tu:
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

A_SN wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:Going well? Hopefully it is :D
Yeah, I've started on the GUI, with a new fancy vector GUI system because the GUI was too limited in Photosounder which really got in the way of developing the program further. Who knows, when that's mostly done (which might be soonish) things might go fast. Or not, I'm not sure about that.
Fantastic news :D

Hello, just wondered how v2 was going, is it likely anytime soon?

todd_r wrote:Hello, just wondered how v2 was going, is it likely anytime soon?
I'm currently laying the groundwork, working on the basics. I'm gonna take my time to build on a solid base, so definitely don't hold your breath just yet ;).

Will try to be patient :)

Sorry if this was already asked, but will there be an upgrade path to v2?

Cheers!

A_SN wrote:
todd_r wrote:Hello, just wondered how v2 was going, is it likely anytime soon?
I'm currently laying the groundwork, working on the basics. I'm gonna take my time to build on a solid base, so definitely don't hold your breath just yet ;).
Take you time. And make that V2 a monster that kicks a$$$!! :evil:

Return to “Photosounder”