Latest release/build/beta

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry, super busy. I started typing this up a while ago. I see you started a thread about a spin-off and I'll post the OSC stuff there.
A_SN wrote: Just being curious, in what way does doubling the image help you create complex sequences?
As a very basic an example I'll start with a short audio loop, duplicate it a few times, drag them off to the left and the right to chop it up*, run a script to copy the arrangement and double it, go back to my individual slice layers, duplicate them, change their position in the second "bar", run the script again, etc.

Sometimes I'll open a blank document crop it to .3 seconds, draw a bit of percussion, make a new layer with a synth type noise, and do the same process. The phrase "less is more" could almost be the official slogan of photosounder. :lol: I mean, generally when making synth type noises to get usable sounds I have to get very detailed on a very small image. I guess for me more "intelligent" subtractive tools would help.

Between the move tool, flipping and the various blend modes you can add quite a bit of complexity. Now, this is a new way of working for me and it often sounds like something out of the BBC radiophonic workshop. :lol: I mean I'm generally used to playing on a keyboard live to do most of my sequencing so it's a matter of figuring out what types of visual arrangements are sonically pleasant.

Another important point is that I have all of the layer command and tool commands mapped to shortcuts.

Hope that makes sense. I should make a video of how I use photosounder, hopefully someday.

*I'm not sure if this behavior is a bug, but it's incredibly useful, please keep it! It's also a great way to make selection shapes. I make a new layer make a dot with my white spray tool the distance from the 0,0 point on the x,y axis I want my rectangle to be then I fill maxima left and bottom. I also made shortcuts for these.
A_SN wrote: Well, for rhythm you've got the 4/4 rhythm overlay, I know it doesn't change the image but it can help you transform it accordingly. As for harmonic rules you have the operation to group everything to the nearest semitone, which is pretty useful when used on a layer that only represent a base frequency.
Yeah, both are useful. I still think someday expanding on the magnet functionality optionally to snap to timing or things like semitones, whole tones, etc. would help.
A_SN wrote: No need for a script to do that, you can use a convolution layer with a bunch of tiny dots on it.
Yeah, convolution needs a bit of a warning or automatic lowering of the spray width. :lol: Sometimes I accidentally click while it's set at 60 or something and it takes 2-3 minutes. :lol:
A_SN wrote:Not sure what what you're mentioning does, feel free to mail me examples.

If you use a script along the lines of:

Duplicate layer
Move layer +3 % x +4 %
Duplicate layer
Move layer +5 % x +4 %

It will depend on the size of the layer how fast it happens. Or you can do other scripts that scale such as

Duplicate layer
Move layer +9 % x +4 %
Duplicate layer
Move layer +10 % x +4 %

or

Duplicate layer
Move layer +3 % x +8 %
Duplicate layer
Move layer +5 % x +8 %

My ears are the final arbiter, but it can be useful to use math like this as well.
RE: rendering audio on another computer on a network
A_SN wrote:Sure I guess that could be done. But would it really be convenient?
Especially for lossless I think I'd find it very useful. When I'm feeling "musical" having to sit around and wait on my computer can be excruciating.
A_SN wrote: Well you can have it on a USB key and run it from there. It won't even leave any tracks on the host machine.
Oh, that's great! For some reason I thought it'd have to copy the license file over.
A_SN wrote: It's funny that I don't really have any crashes myself. Except a few days ago when I loaded a 10 min sound and then turned on live synthesis, but it displayed a clear error message saying it couldn't allocate the ~200 MB buffer it had to. Since I'm on a 64-bit system now I should try to make a 64-bit build, at least for Windows.
I think I do almost everything the "wrong" way in photosounder. :lol:

Photosounder crashes on me every time I try to check for an update. How can I get the new (paid) version?

Mike

Are there any more updates due soon on Photosounder?
I bought a full license, but the last update was in May 2011?

IanA wrote:Are there any more updates due soon on Photosounder?
I bought a full license, but the last update was in May 2011?
Yeah, 1.9.0 is in the works, but first I have to finish SplineEQ 2.0, so it'll be for later this year.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

If 1.9.0 is in the works, perhaps could you release 1.8.4 ?

I have a standard license, and I would be happy to use the live mode without the silences of the demo (which works well)...
One year is a long time !

acousmod wrote:If 1.9.0 is in the works, perhaps could you release 1.8.4 ?

I have a standard license, and I would be happy to use the live mode without the silences of the demo (which works well)...
+1. Would happily get my hands on a long-time-no-see-update.

jensa wrote:
acousmod wrote:If 1.9.0 is in the works, perhaps could you release 1.8.4 ?

+1. Would happily get my hands on a long-time-no-see-update.
+2 - it's been a while...
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

1.8.4 and 1.9.0 are the same thing, before every time I release a new semi-major version I first give it internally a minor version then when I see that there are enough updates in it to warrant it being a new semi-major version I do it. Naturally 1.8.4 aka 1.9.0 is going to be the biggest update ever at least if you look at the changelog, so clearly it warrants being more than a minor version.

I haven't had my development computer in months so I couldn't do much to Photosounder, however I hope today that I can put it together so that I can resume work on it asap (but I'm also working on a few other projects at the same time). There's lots that needs being completed, not to mention I'm having some trouble with the thing to normalise the volume output of the live synthesis (since it's live you can't just look for the loudest sample), but hopefully I can get it out the door soon and with much less bugs (because if there's one thing I hate it's someone who tells me that 1.8.3 keeps crashing for them).

Edit: Oh and I'm going to try to have a line-drawing tool in the next release too. Editing (mostly for synthesis) in Photosounder is kind of crap without it.

So since you are naming it 1.9, what will the upgrade price be as my license was only good up to 1.9 which is excluded. thanks.

(I had just missed getting in on the lifetime license deal - didn't learn about Photosounder until after that deal was over. Such is life, eh?

lahazard wrote:So since you are naming it 1.9, what will the upgrade price be as my license was only good up to 1.9 which is excluded. thanks.

(I had just missed getting in on the lifetime license deal - didn't learn about Photosounder until after that deal was over. Such is life, eh?
I figured it out a while ago but I forgot the details, I think it was a third of the purchase price for an update (so $19?), and it resets the version/time limits as if you had just bought a new version. I wrote it somewhere in my documents which I probably don't have access to right now but I'll finalise the details when the time comes (since so far there's been no need to worry about that).

I figured it out a while ago but I forgot the details, I think it was a third of the purchase price for an update (so $19?), and it resets the version/time limits as if you had just bought a new version.

Thanks.

Nice to see a new version is on its way, at some point. Can't wait!! :)

Neon Breath wrote:Nice to see a new version is on its way, at some point. Can't wait!! :)
Soo... any news?

wasi wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:Nice to see a new version is on its way, at some point. Can't wait!! :)
Soo... any news?
No sorry not yet, first I have to complete a project (a new plugin) you don't know about by July then I have to finish the new major version of SplineEQ, only then will I be able to really start on this.

Thanks! Photosounder needs some love, man. She's hurting here. :( :wink:

Return to “Photosounder”