Help from US members re Musicians Friend & Guitar Center

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->
jancivil
KVRAF
15335 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:50 pm

You can buy weed freely af at Jones and Market. Strong, good weed. It's not legal to sell like that I don't think, but it may as well be.

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
9933 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Re: Help from US members re Musicians Friend & Guitar Center

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:50 am

jancivil wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:44 pm
I felt safe everywhere in San Fran, literally everywhere.
You may run into nekkid people if this is the beach I'm picturing from the location description. It's a nude beach.
It's a long damned walk from anywhere on Market. I once did walk from downtown to the ocean (and back!) and I took the northern sort of path up by there. I was tripping, so...
You're looking at a coupla miles to that area from say Civic Center. The walk I'm talking about is around 12 miles. I used to walk.

The hardcore ghetto hood is Bayview/Hunters Point and as you approach that, say out 3rd street a ways. You have to go way out of your way for that action. I don't know, people never f**ked with me in SF. I used to like to go to E&J Barbecue out 3rd, I'd have to check if it's still there.
Thanks for the info, Jan. 12 miles is a little bit long for my liking :D

I'm really looking forward to my first SF experience. Unfortunately it's still a little way off (December).
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

jancivil
KVRAF

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:44 am

I recommend Golden Gate Park and Ocean Beach above all. The park has the Asian Art Museum which is very cool, and, well, it's a very beautiful park... and rather rangy. It goes all the way to Ocean Beach and something like 3 miles from the Haight to the beach. There may still be bison in the field set aside for them.
The Panhandle Park takes you into GG Park through the Haight. I lived there in more than one period of my life, right on the panhandle.

Then the Museum of Modern Art, south of Market on the east side.

I've never been a tourist there so I only have the locals' perspective; but Fisherman's Wharf while picturesque particularly right there on the bay, the little beach there, isn't much of a place to hang. It's kind of high-toned Myrtle Beach to me at the end of the day. The restaurants are pricey and you can easily feel ripped-off. Everybody hanging out there is from Ohio 'n shit.

jancivil
KVRAF

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:51 am

I recommend a joint called La Cumbre on Valencia street, at 16th, for a burrito. That's just me, but it's good and it's a normal price. I remember when it was like 3.50 but last time I went it was more like $8. You may want to canvass for other recommendations. But it's authentic Mexican food there in the Mission. There's a very cool arthouse movie joint called the Roxie up in there unless something has gone horribly wrong.

For a view, a couple of things. Market Street goes way up to Twin Peaks eventually and you're way up there.
Also at Ocean Beach on the north end go back up into the Park from the Cliff House, which is on all the tourist maps and is a good spot. I hope Camera Obscura is still there, a don't miss if it is. There's an old ruins of this big ol' bathhouse ca 19th c there. The park is quite lush here, it's a great place to chill out. This all used to be the property of some obscenely rich cat.

ZeePok
KVRian
987 posts since 22 Aug, 2004 from Edge City, the Low Country

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:42 pm

jancivil wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:51 am
"Twin Peaks"
How's the coffee? :)

Now that's quite a guide, Jan! Very informative! I've never been there and very likely never will, because of travel anxiety, but that was very interesting!

Hey Mush, maybe you could prepare yourself a bit by checking out the locations Jan mentioned on StreetView ? :)

(And December's not that far away. It's already only ten weeks before Christmas! :eek:)

Return to “Off Topic”