Chord Splitter

Official support for: thepiz.org
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am hoping someone can tell me if Piz has a plugin that will do the following:

Let's say I play the following chord on my keyboard: C-E-Bb-D-F. I would love to have a MIDI plugin which would take the F and send it to MIDI channel 7, the D and send it to MIDI channel 6, the Bb to MIDI channel 6, and the E to MIDI channel 5 and finally the root (C) to MIDI channel 4. If I then change the E to an F, I would like the F to be sent to MIDI channel 5.

By now I am sure that you have noticed that I am looking for an intelligent chord splitter that knows the top, bottom and middle notes of a chord and can split them to different instruments. In my case, I am using Broadway Big Band as my brass and sax plugin and I am trying to create a polyphonic section that sounds realistic ... where splitting the chord as described above would create a more realistic section because each instrument would play a different note based on the chord, velocity etc. being played.

Fable Sounds has promised BBB users a product called RTO (Realtime Orchestra), but it seems that they are having trouble with Contact and cannot seem to get it right for distribution. This of course was the reason I purchased BBB. I decided to read out and see if the Piz geniuses have something already in place.

Any help would be appreciated, :)

Phil

Hi,
sounds like you need "midiPolyphony" you can send 5 notes to 5 different channels..
after that in theory you can route them as you like...(it depends of your DAW's midi routing capable)

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8&t=300566

Exactly :) Can you do this with one of your great MIDI tools?

hmm.. i didn't get the "your great MIDI tools?" part :)
but..
if you place "midiChs" (in the same link) after midiPolyphony
you can do this combine thing (D and Bb to channel 6)

midiChordSplit does this too, just different options to Polyphony one.
How to steal notes, how many on each channel etc.

Really annoyed it does not exist as standard in Cubase and other daws.

I wish there were a way to put Piz versions into Cubase setup.
But using inside Metaplugin is just fine too.

I use Ableton Live 9 as my DAW and it won't let me have a MIDI plugin prior to my main plugin like SampleModelings Instruments or Broadway Big Band which runs in Kontakt. What I want to do is play a four note chord on my MIDI keyboard, have the MIDI Chord Splitter take each note and send it to a different instrument or MIDI channel. Using this technique you could almost simulate a brass section for instance EG: Tuba on the root or lowest note of the chord, trombone on the second note, Tenor sax on the third note and finally trumpet on the top note. The best part of the technique would be to allow you to hold the bottom and upper note while changing the middle notes for a different chord structure or harmonic contact. Wow, this would be trick!

I use a Muse Receptor, so I have a different plugin on each of the sixteen channel strips and each on a different MIDI channel. When I record (sequence), I play everything live on the Receptor through Ableton and only mix down to audio at the end of the session. The Receptor is awesome for realism and better than going through live's instruments on my PC. What I am trying to say here is: everything in my studio is almost working the way I want with the exception of a MIDI chord splitter to be used with string sections and brass and sax sections.

If anyone has a solution to this, please RSVP. :)

I am going to give DDMF Metaplugin a try :)

i am not % 100 sure but seems there is an limitation Live's internal midi routing,
which is live converts all midi channels to channel 1 when you want to create send or receive between tracks.

yellukhan - you got that right! I am getting really tired of Live because of the way they handle MIDI. I am going to give either Fruity Loops or BitWig a try. Any suggestions?

i have no idea about Bitwig's midi routing capable...
if you go with FL you have to use Patcher to create this kind of routing stuff
this might help :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnSnOeO7lsM

If you're using Ableton, check this out:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i2Avfy ... sp=sharing

It's got some clever stuff built in, because it waits for you to release a note before it plays the chord, so it will always send the bottom and top notes to specific channels, and the rest (middle notes) to a third, regardless of how many notes there are in the chord.

Return to “Insert Piz Here”