Piz midiLooper (beta)

Official support for: thepiz.org
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just declared midiLooper to be in "beta" phase.
See original thread: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=201276
This is a new thread in the official piz forum. Feel free to try to confuse me by using either thread.

====================

midiLooper
I'm working on a midi looper/sampler for live use. Now upgraded to "Beta" status! It should be stable and usable, but I may still add or change features, so if you use it in a project now, it may not be 100% compatible with future versions.

Latest GUI screenshot:

Windows VST (64-bit) - updated January 22nd, 2012
Windows VST - updated January 22nd, 2012
Mac VST - updated August 29th, 2009 (old, fewer features, more bugs)

Source code is available via
Google Code. Feel free to add or remove features, compile for other platforms, change GUI (built with The Jucer), etc.

The final version will not be free, but will be reasonably priced (if I can manage it, less than ten million dollars). Feel free to make a donation now, and you will get a license for the final version, which will also remove the annoying "DEMO VERSION" text from the GUI.

magic button:

Features/limitations:

- Annoying "DEMO VERSION" text when not licensed (no other demo limitations)
- (Sucky) Piano roll editor with settable loop area, time signatures, etc
- Pattern chaining: play a specified number of times, then switch to another loop
- Can play multiple loops at once (ctrl-click for multiple, right-click to play one exclusively)
- Can record live midi and optionally start looping it as soon as you stop recording
- Load midi files by drag & drop
- Optionally syncs to host timeline (position within a measure is kept)
- Loops whole numbers of bars/beats/8th/16th notes, or arbitrary lengths
- When recording, rounds down the loop size if it's close (instead of bumping up to next step)
- Optional input quantize
- Can apply a velocity scale and transposition (by semitones and octaves) to the loop in real time
- Adjustable start and end points for loop playback
- "Beat shift" time offset with wraparound
- Selectable midi channel (input filter, output filter or transformer)
- Records and plays back all midi events it receives, so it's up to you to filter what you don't want
- Optionally overdub to add data to an existing loop (needs work)
- Supports program change
- Plays in a synchronized/unsynchronized loop, or unsynchronized one-shot
- Trigger loop from midi notes (mono/polyphonic, with optional transposition), or automate the play parameter
- Play/mute groups
- Force to freely definable scale, and transpose within the scale, optionally based on midi input
- Writes an editable midi file when saving plugin state (or by save button/parameter), and loads it again at any time
- Windows only (Mac version is currently outdated)

Please note that this plug in is amazing.

Diagram showing "smart" loop length detection, midi file output, etc:

How to edit/create a loop in energyXT 1.4:
If you don't use a "loop area" track, it will round up the length to the end of the next bar (based on time signature).

To do:
- Documentation
- Allow playing of material before and after the loop area (start and end points separate from the loop points)
- Option to play/stop at next beat
- "Full release" for record and play
- Fix overdub mode (including better cc overwriting)
- More step sizes for beat shift and playback start/stop points?
- "Wait for events before starting recording" mode
- Optionally remove silence at beginning/end of recording
- Reverse, alternating forward/backward, & random playing
- Note length manipulation?
- Swing/shuffle/quantize output
- More input quantization options
- Keep playing the current loop until recording is finished (already happens in overdub mode)
- More piano roll features
- Integrated MIDI file browser
- Better GUI
- Linux version
- etc etc
Last edited by insertpizhere on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:26 am, edited 15 times in total.
wrongtastic, baby
tucson's number one gothic rock band since 1995

woop.
i am vocal about my opinions of the performance and ethics of developers and software companies

some suggestions/requests:
1 "fixed lenght mode" for recording (1 2 4 8 measures with option "one shot" or "loop-overdub-replace")

2 post record quantization - non destructive

3 - undo button (nice to have)

-PIKU- wrote:some suggestions/requests:
1 "fixed lenght mode" for recording (1 2 4 8 measures with option "one shot" or "loop-overdub-replace")
this is already there, under Record Length and Loop Step Size. in overdub mode with a fixed recording length, it keeps recording while looping, otherwise it stops when the length is reached.
2 post record quantization - non destructive
quantization and swing on the output is planned.
3 - undo button (nice to have)
yes, would be nice
wrongtastic, baby
tucson's number one gothic rock band since 1995

First off, thanks for doing the work and putting midilooper out there. I've been looking for something that would play midi and feed the output to whatever instrument I wanted, and midilooper does the trick.

Wondering if anyone besides me is having a problem with delayed starts when using it? I have loaded it up into a host called Live Professor, then sent the midilooper output to Studio Drummer (Kontakt). I can see midilooper's cursor moving through the midi timeline, but no sound is coming out of Studio Drummer for a bar or two. Studio Drummer's midi input meter shows no activity. Then, after a bar or two, it starts producing sound.

So I set up a link between midilooper and an instance of your midi out, to see if the problem was Studio Drummer, but midiout also shows that no midi data is getting to it for a couple of bars, then it does, and this happens every time I reset midilooper to the beginning of the loop. Is there some setting I'm not aware of? Or is there really a delay in midilooper's processing?

BTW, this is all running on a newish i7 machine running Win7. I don't think hardware is a contributor.

Any news on updates?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:Any news on updates?
+1. this is an incredible project...please don't abandon it!
i am vocal about my opinions of the performance and ethics of developers and software companies

nym wrote:
DarkStar wrote:Any news on updates?
+1. this is an incredible project...please don't abandon it!
i built a monome patch out of a launchpad, Piz midi looper and reaper...
please help me continue to develop it!!

http://youtu.be/zwXLBg67hK4

Return to “Insert Piz Here”