What excactly is "LSB" and "USB" when it comes to the frequency shifter of Vaz Modular?

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to follow a tutorial that instructs me to use frequency shifters to increase the frequency of waveforms by so and so many hz, I take it this means to use a sine wave of that frequency as a carrier but which output should I use? I'm supposing it's whichever outputs the sum of the frequencies, right? The manual says it provides the sum or the difference but not which is which or what the letters stand for. What little I could find to read about frequency shifters hasn't mentioned anything about different outputs. As the sounds I'm trying to make are layered and I have no previous experience with frequency shifters it's hard to know if I'm doing it right. :help:

Freq Shift Ring: Ring Modulation (Mod x Car)
Freq Shift LSB: Lower Sidebands (Mod - Car)
Freq Shift USB: Upper Sidebands (Mod + Car)

Ring Modulation produces a spectrum which includes frequencies which are the sum and difference of all frequencies in the modulator and carrier waves i.e. ring modulate 75Hz and 100Hz sine waves and you get an output containing 25Hz and 175Hz sine waves. With a frequency shifter the LSB = lower side band = difference frequencies will be a 25Hz sine wave. The USB = upper side band = sum frequencies will be a 175Hz sine wave. Assuming a perfect frequency shifter of course ;)

Martin

Thanks guys!
EvilDragon wrote:Freq Shift Ring: Ring Modulation (Mod x Car)
Shouldn't that be something like -
Freq Shift Ring: Ring Modulation [(Mod - Car) + (Mod + Car)] :P
MadGav wrote:Assuming a perfect frequency shifter of course ;)

Martin
:hihi: I expect nothing less! :wink: May have to let my poor aching shoulder rest a bit before I dare to click and patch my way into synthetic bliss...

V-GER wrote:Thanks guys!
EvilDragon wrote:Freq Shift Ring: Ring Modulation (Mod x Car)
Shouldn't that be something like -
Freq Shift Ring: Ring Modulation [(Mod - Car) + (Mod + Car)] :P
Ring modulation is basically the multiplication of two signals, both with gain at 1, which produces the sum and difference partials.

Return to “VAZ Synths”