Questions about elementary use of the oscilloscope - and sineosc waveforms

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just wondering, you could use the oscilloscope to monitor different sounds that seem to be fighting for the same space in the mix - frequencywise? Right? If so, what settings do you think work fine to compare sounds in order to know what to carve away with filters and EQ and such? I have next to no experience with oscilloscopes so please help me break it down.

Also I was wondering - what are the other waveforms in the sine oscillator? The helpfile is a bit lacking in information on this... They remind me a bit of the ones in a TX81z, but it's been years since I've had my hands on one so I can't be sure about that. I can shift through them and hear what they seem like, but having something visual or names that can be searched for to find something visual would be nice.

re the first question - you probably want a different sort of scope for looking at frequency/ harmonic content. something that shows the range of frequencies on a scope. The oscilloscope just shows you the basic waveform.

re question two - question one holds your answer - stick these waveforms through the oscilloscope and look at them. They are an odd group, by memory - lots arent DC balanced - i have no idea why that particular selection of wave shapes is included...
come on you ..... lets have some aphex acid.

The Sine Osc waveforms are those found on 4-op Yamahas.

@ mojogigolo:

They may seem strange to some, but the point is for them to make up for reducing the numbers of "operators" (or oscillators, as some of us would call them) from six (as in for instance the DX7) to four (as in for instance the TX81z) with waveforms providing "additional harmonics already in them".. Not all of those with four operators provide these waveforms though.

For those who might be interested: the manual for the TX81z is available in english as a PDF from Yamaha Japan, unfortunately I can't remember the excact adress for the download now. Be aware that the TX816 is a different beast alltogether (that would be roughly eight DX7s in [a slightly peculiar] rackmounted form[!]).

Thank you for explaining an oscillioscope n00b how things work! I haven't touched anything more advanced than an MS-20 when it comes to analogs, and articles and books concerning analog synthezisers and modulars I've thrown myself over through the years haven't explained much about such things...

aha - thanks to you both for that. no doubt these odd waves have useful characteristics, my math/ theory just isnt up to identifying them by sight.. interesting.
come on you ..... lets have some aphex acid.

Return to “VAZ Synths”