Some strange behaviour, is it Vaz Modular or my computer or what?

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This didn't happen earlier, but all of a suddenly shifting to the mixer makes the multistagenevelope on a patch playing retrigger, and so does shifting back again to the patch. This happens for other envelopes too, and it's a bit of a problem when attempting to do liveadjustments and such. It seems strange as I haven't installed any other version of Vaz Modular lately. Could it have something to do with those updates Microsoft keeps firing at us, could some of them suddenly make Windows 7 work badly with certain programs?

When using glides on three voices with polyphonic patches I sometimes get hanging notes. It only occures once in a while, roughly every fifth time I (re)start a bank playing it's sequences again. Does anybody else experience this or is it possible that some strange reaction happens between Vaz Modular and something else on my computer or a side effect of it getting a pretty hard smack in a car due to the driver not paying attention and suddenly having to practically sit an the brakes (I couldn't be bothered to querrel anymore with this bad tempered guy so he would allow me to secure it better as he insisted that nothing bad would happen and it usually didn't, I've regretted that ever since...)?

If I run the gate signal from the CV converter through a slew limiter and use that to control the amplifier while I'm still trying to figure out excactly which envelope would be best suited the program freezes, meaning it also seems I can't have the patch open long enough to edit it differently so it's lost for now. Also, every time I open a patch like that it starts with a sound like imediately after note off with a bit of deacy.

Vaz Modular is an amazing program that I'm pretty close to falling in love with, if there are fixes for these little glitches that would make it even better.

perhaps (?) similar - if i am using a trigger sequencer, and its driven by an lfo, if i switch from the patch to the mixer, it sometimes skips/ drops a beat (ie one of the lfo cycles doesnt trigget the sequencer, and it falls behind one click).
come on you ..... lets have some aphex acid.

Hi V-GER,

I need to reproduce this stuff, so any patches which I can do simple things to to cause the problems would be great (email to martin at vaz-synths dot com).

I think the CV Converter + Slew Limiter starting sound is due to the slew limiter having an initial value of 0 which needs to drop to -max which is off for an envelope in VAZ terms. I suggest you add an oscilloscope of CV meter to the patch to look at what's going on?

Martin

MadGav wrote:Hi V-GER,

I need to reproduce this stuff, so any patches which I can do simple things to to cause the problems would be great (email to martin at vaz-synths dot com).
You could try the first thing which caused the problem with any polyphonic patch, just hit ctrl-r on all of three voices in the sequencer with settings that include a bit of slide and play for a little while and stop and restart a few times. If this isn't somehow connected to Windows 7 (which I doubt) there probably will be hanging notes sooner or later. Possibly the chance of glitches like these increase as the CPU load gets bigger, or so it would seem. I'll look into getting some patches e-mailed if nescesary. One is based on granular treatment of the sound of an old noisy fridge, would you need the lo-fi sample too?
MadGav wrote: I think the CV Converter + Slew Limiter starting sound is due to the slew limiter having an initial value of 0 which needs to drop to -max which is off for an envelope in VAZ terms. I suggest you add an oscilloscope of CV meter to the patch to look at what's going on?

Martin
The little sound when I open the patch is negligable (but understanding what's going on is always nice), it's Vaz Modular freezing that I worry about...That also means I probably won't get a chance to add an oscilloscope as the program freezes before I can do much with the sound. Also I have next to zero experince with oscilloscopes so I wouldn't be quite sure what to look for... I will have to search a bit for those halfbaked patches..

mojogigolo wrote:perhaps (?) similar - if i am using a trigger sequencer, and its driven by an lfo, if i switch from the patch to the mixer, it sometimes skips/ drops a beat (ie one of the lfo cycles doesnt trigget the sequencer, and it falls behind one click).
I've reproduced this, in the process noticed had some weird behaviour where both the external and internal clocks were driving the sequencer or something... definitely buggy!

Martin

V-GER wrote:I'll look into getting some patches e-mailed if nescesary. One is based on granular treatment of the sound of an old noisy fridge, would you need the lo-fi sample too?
Don't *need* the sample, but interested to hear the patch properly ;)

Martin

MadGav wrote:
V-GER wrote:I'll look into getting some patches e-mailed if nescesary. One is based on granular treatment of the sound of an old noisy fridge, would you need the lo-fi sample too?
Don't *need* the sample, but interested to hear the patch properly ;)

Martin
:) I've sent the patch and the sample, have they arrived or didn't they make it all the way to your inbox somehow?

V-GER wrote:I've sent the patch and the sample, have they arrived or didn't they make it all the way to your inbox somehow?
Got the patch and sample!

Martin

Can now produce hung notes using V-GERs patch more or less to order, something to do with slides in the sequencer I suspect...

Martin

MadGav wrote:
mojogigolo wrote:perhaps (?) similar - if i am using a trigger sequencer, and its driven by an lfo, if i switch from the patch to the mixer, it sometimes skips/ drops a beat (ie one of the lfo cycles doesnt trigget the sequencer, and it falls behind one click).
I've reproduced this, in the process noticed had some weird behaviour where both the external and internal clocks were driving the sequencer or something... definitely buggy!

Martin
brilliant - its a minor thing at the moment, but to get 100% lock on multiple synths with lfo driven clocks would be really good.
come on you ..... lets have some aphex acid.

V-GER wrote:shifting to the mixer makes the multistagenevelope on a patch playing retrigger, and so does shifting back again to the patch. This happens for other envelopes too
I believe turning off Autothru on the the Global menu will stop this happening. Then there's the question of how to make Autothru behave better...

Martin

MadGav wrote:
V-GER wrote:shifting to the mixer makes the multistagenevelope on a patch playing retrigger, and so does shifting back again to the patch. This happens for other envelopes too
I believe turning off Autothru on the the Global menu will stop this happening.
Yep, that seems to do the trick! Thank you. I've been looking through the preferences in search for some solution, just looking in the wrong place then...
MadGav wrote:Then there's the question of how to make Autothru behave better...
I'll live happily with a bit of CTRL + T every now and then for now, but off course looking forward to a solution...

Oh, the delay plugin tends to distort easily with sounds like filtered sawtooths using a bit of resonance or some FM sounds. I guess this might happen with any delay unit (virtual or not) when you start cranking that feedback up a bit. If it was possible to adjust the total volume of the delay unit, as in for instance temporarily linking the dry and the wet fader in relation to each other, that would make things a bit easier to handle..

MadGav wrote:Can now produce hung notes using V-GERs patch more or less to order, something to do with slides in the sequencer I suspect...
Further, this appears to require the sequencer playing multiple voices with notes doubled and at least 1 slide not changing pitch i.e. if voice 1 plays C4 sliding to C4 and voice 2 plays C4 sliding to C5 then voice 2 will readily stick on if you hit stop while the slide is in progress.

Martin

btw I think the only problem I *haven't* reproduced is the freeze when running a gate signal through a slew limiter...

Martin

MadGav wrote:I've reproduced this
And now I don't seem to be able to get it to happen... :( Mojo, can you email me a patch which shows this problem please?

Martin

Return to “VAZ Synths”