Putting amp before filter?

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just have to ask something that has been wondering my mind. The traditional way to patch is Vco-Vcf-Vca. However, i noticed that by putting the filter last in the signal chain, you reduce all the filter click sounds that you may get by using a heavy filtered osc. It just sounds smoother. Is there a reason for always having the Amp after the filter other than "it's the traditional way"?

I think it's just so volume shaping is last in the signal chain, but especially with a modular, you can set it up anyway that pleases you.

If the filter will go into self-resonance you need the amp after to be able to silence it? But as Shamann says in the modular world you patch whichever way gets the right result!

Martin

Thanks for the replies! And yes, that is indeed the wonderful world of modular. Patch it as you want! It feels like i've only scratched the surface yet though ;)

MadGav wrote:If the filter will go into self-resonance you need the amp after to be able to silence it? But as Shamann says in the modular world you patch whichever way gets the right result!

Martin
With the possibility to modulate resonance this can be hindered with an appropriate envelope. Just make an ADSR or something go up all the way where you need it and have a suitable release time. Thus you can also control in what stage of the sound you want the strongest resonance, which can add a bit to some sounds. edit - You'd have to turn down the resonance a bit to have the envelope modulate it all the way up to maximum. Other solutions may seem, ehem, tidier.

Another possibility is to add an amplifier b module at the end of the signal chain, controlled by a simple envelope or the slope set up to be at full for as long as gated (zero attack and full sustain if using an ADSR) and the release time as long as or slightly longer than the release of the envelope controlling the main amp. I hope that made sense...

Return to “VAZ Synths”