Is there a chance for getting patch management out of stone age?

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

While VAZ Modular sounds absolutely amazing, I can't shake the feeling that its patch management is probably the worst possible thing it could have for all the other functionality it has.

Here are some suggestions:

1. Support Bank Select messages. The Patch->Edit... window should have two added fields: Bank Select MSB and Bank Select LSB. By changing them, we get a new slate of 128 patches to load to. Soooo... that's much better than what's available now.

2. Support loading of whole folders instead of one patch by one. I know we can select multiple patches in the Open dialog, but a clearer way of doing this should exist.

3. Patchlists should be saveable to its own file for easy recall.

4. Each synth should have its own patchlist (optionally).

5. Each synth should get previous and next buttons for patch selection (a sort of header), and a dropdown menu to select a patch in the current bank more directly. And of course, Bank Select MSB and LSB fields to select banks.

6. Banks should have their own list, so we can have (optionally) switch banks with program changes, instead of patches for individual synths. And why not support Bank Select, too, while at it?

7. Patch List Editor should be a resizeable window.

8. I hate it that I have to click once to see the "..." button, then click again to actually open the dialog for loading. It would be better if there were a single-click solution for this.

I think that about wraps it up, at least for me. I know this would mean a lot of code rewrite. But it's for the better, in the end. And I think a lot of VAZ users will agree. Thanks for everything else you do, Martin!

+1

I spend most of my time MAKING 'patches'. FAIAP the "sounds" created/generated during that process > I consider my "music".

Saving individual (fxp) patches to a folder, saving sequentially, loading single patches should be a "click" away, same with multiple patches from a folder via drag-n-drop or copy/paste into a bank or another folder, renaming, moving position freely within a bank, and replacing/swapping between banks, loading banks, QUICKLY and efficiently is absolutely essential.

FWIW: U-he ACE has an exemplary browser, and folder/preset management system. Though I don't care for proprietary file formats.

fxp/fxb - work!

[2c]
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

I LOVE the sounds of thei synths but I think this preset browser thing really is a deal breaker for me. I can afford to be picky with how many synths I already have anyhow. If they fix the browser I will buy though.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Just a note to say I am paying attention to this ;)

Martin

MadGav wrote:Just a note to say I am paying attention to this ;)

Martin
U R 8)
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

MadGav wrote:Just a note to say I am paying attention to this ;)

Martin
This is good news. I hope this means that my suggestions were laid out clear and simple to make it easier for you to implement it in the correct way :)

When VAZ gets this, it's going to have a lot more value, well at least when live performance is concerned (for those who need many patches in their setlists).

Agreed. The browser thing is actually keeping me from taking the plunge on the synth. I've tried the demo over the years several times but it's just way too tedious with the presets. In general the UI is a bit stone age but that doesn't bother me too much.

The sound is still incredible. VAZ Modular was way ahead of it's time.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “VAZ Synths”