Sequencer Modules

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been thinking about some basic sequencer modules for a while and so far putting a couple together. The idea being to have an alternative to the "big" sequencers associated with the CV Converter, etc which can both be small alternatives and more patchable with the stage pulse inputs and outputs found on 70s Buchla/Moog/Serge sequencers.

This was in 3.20 beta 17 and is inspired by the clock sequencer function of the Doepfer A-160/161 combination which is a minimal classic. It's not far short of the first generation (early 70s) Serge Sequencer module and maybe the Length/Cycle controls from the Gate Sequencer would be useful.

This will be in the next beta build. It has A and B outputs which run top row then bottom row and vice versa, so it can be used as 2 x 8 or 1 x 16. Turn off Cycle and it becomes a burst generator, running once after Reset is triggered.

A bit further out, I want to experiment with making the Stage Select inputs behave like a Serge SQP where the stage is held for as long as a stage is gated. Also it's not far off the functionality of a Moog 960, I think Skip and Stop buttons per stage would likely be good for live tweaking.

Sequential Switch

Well you couldn't have a 960-alike without a 961! A switch stepped by triggers can be used to chain rows of a sequencer among *many* other things.

Trigger/Gate Combiner?

The *other* support module for the 960 was the 962, which could combine gates from up to 6 stages.

"Mini" Seq

A 2 x 4 / 1 x 8 knob-based equivalent of the Gate Sequencer.

These look great - hope we get a chance to try 'em out soon 8)
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

I'm excited about these. With my hardware modular, playing around with clock signals and its sequencers has become a great source of fun.

shamann wrote:With my hardware modular
What have you got? I have 6u of Doepfer.

Martin

I have a 6U of euro, too, with a mix of modules, heavy on harvestman and Makenoise stuff. For sequencing, I have the Intellijel uStep, Makenoise Pressure Points with the expander, and Doepfer a151 sequential switch. Makes for a surprisingly capable sequencing setup.

Gate Sequencer and Mini Sequencer are included in 3.20 beta 20, out now.

Last edited by deleted on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sidulacra wrote:Hi all,

While I'm logged in here, I thought I'd ask if anyone might care to share a few example patches they've made with the new sequencer modules.

Perhaps Martin can make a few in the next update.

Thanks,

S
I just uploaded 2 patches using the Gate Seq + Mini Seq modules.

I hope they're not too confusing! There's a Patch Guide for each. I never understood WTF was going on in VAZ until I discovered the CV Meter modules, now they're everywhere ;-)

I found Ken Stone's Burst Generator and Gate Sequencer module descriptions extremely helpful.

I'm getting odd behaviour with Gate Seq, best I can tell it isn't emitting a signal on the first step of either row output. It does, however, emit from the separate stage one output just fine. Anyone else seeing this?

Last edited by deleted on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shamann wrote:I'm getting odd behaviour with Gate Seq, best I can tell it isn't emitting a signal on the first step of either row output. It does, however, emit from the separate stage one output just fine. Anyone else seeing this?
Obviously too much reliance on the blinkenlights while testing... fixed for the next release.

Martin

Gate Sequencer step 1 not playing bug is fixed in 3.20 beta 21, now available.

Thanks for the update, Martin!

Is there currently a way to cascade multiple Gate/Mini Seqs to get more steps?
Or will that be possible with the 960/1/2 type modules you mentioned in the first post?

Hi Winston,

You can use the Pulse Stepper plus Switch modules to create a stepped switch, the 961-alike is intended as a more covenient alternative to this.

Martin

Return to “VAZ Synths”