What sort of presets would Vaz Modular owners be intrested in?

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm thinking of making a commercial bank for Vaz Modular, I'm eclectic in my own tastes for electronic sounds and am thinking most modular users are similar. Im not really up for doing anything too specific genre wise because I dont know the latest fashions. Broadly speaking what would Vaz Modular users (or potential buyers) be interested in? Is there anything in particular you would like to here from Vaz Modular? Whatever I end up producing, the bank will be varied and consist of different synth (and some effects) configurations.

FYI the bank is unlikely to be ready until the start of next year.
Last edited by projectdan on Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aside from (the late, great) Tim Conrardy's work, most VAZ patches I've seen focus more on emulating existing synths than building crazy mutant machines of mayhem. I'm in the process of working on a bank using sine oscillators tuned to ratios created by LaMonte Young.

You can get a lot from a little with things like oscillator cross-modulation.

Plus, if you use Cosmo Oscs, you don't need filters; with the Comb Filter, no OSCs are necessary.

I'd like some patches that take advantage of things like:
-SCALA microtonal file capability--can be set globally, per synth, or thru Quantize module
-the control & trigger sequencers--I've made a "drum machine" with the control seq, haven't seen others
-the "send Control A to Tempo" switch in the CV sequencer in Local mode...time gets elastic!
-wavetable & granular OSCs
-recently added logic/control modules

I think I will include lots of non standard configurations, there will be some traditional type sounds as well, but those are covered very well already by Vaz and other synths, so makes more sense for me to focus on other areas. I havent explored the sequencer much, will look into that and microtonal options for more possibilities.

another vote for more esoteric patches! Vaz is easily the best emulator of Serge/Buchla "bug" sounds of any VST- IMO Vaz sounds even better than many hardware modulars - very few patches out there seem to capitalize on that- most of my own patches are full blown Serge-like blip storms- unlike most other software tweaking in Vaz seems to produce those same kinds of surprises and complex evolutionary timbres you get with a Serge or Buchla session

I would like to see more patches out there using slew generators as oscillators like the Serge DSG/DTG and sequencer systems using the sequencer row module and boolean logic/ pulse dividers/ S+H cascade and the like

sample manipulation and post processing patches would be great. Making samples sound more like organic objects and strange esoteric noises. I have lot's of fun with homemade wavetables created in Sound Forge. Without a doubt, one of the best software programs for this type of sample manipulation work.

Another fun thing to do is to load in a sample and then tweak the sample position while playing it back...instant glitch music and fantastic happy accidents.
James Johnson
www.james-johnson.net

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will just release a whole mix of patches, from the overtly musical, to the more far out abstract evolving noises and sequences. Its better if I just do what naturally inspires me rather than try and aim at a particular type.

So it will be a mish mash of sounds. Probably release in Febuary (thinking ~128 sounds approx £8 ) with a collection of 32 seperate free taster patches. I know Vaz Modular isnt the hottest potato on the block so not expecting a big market for these, but if I can make pocket money to pay for my music software I'll be happy enough.

I do wish Vaz was able to replace modules whilst keeping the routing, I know modules arent equivalent but it could mostly work and would help.

Projectdan: Would a limited replacement of obviously similar modules be useful i.e. Filters for other filters? A match on parameter names could be done, not sure how successful it would be...

SetAI: definitly more coming along Serge and Buchla lines, it will arrive when it arrives ;)

MadGav wrote:Projectdan: Would a limited replacement of obviously similar modules be useful i.e. Filters for other filters? A match on parameter names could be done, not sure how successful it would be...
Limited replacement of similar modules would certainly be better than none, and greatly appreciated. But is there no way you can assign some internal label to match connections even when modules arent the same type? It would mean you having to go through and assign best matches for all modules but would greatly speed up trying different configurations out.

BTW I love Vaz Modular!

projectdan wrote:It would mean you having to go through and assign best matches for all modules
And there's the rub! I'll certainly try to avoid a pile of grunt work, I don't have time for it...

MadGav wrote:
projectdan wrote:It would mean you having to go through and assign best matches for all modules
And there's the rub! I'll certainly try to avoid a pile of grunt work, I don't have time for it...
Fair enough :hihi:

Return to “VAZ Synths”