How should CV to MIDI work?

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What are your thoughts on how CV to MIDI conversion should work? Taking into account polyphony...

Martin

MadGav wrote:What are your thoughts on how CV to MIDI conversion should work? Taking into account polyphony...

Martin
WOW! if you're considering adding the ability to send VAZ CV to a midi out port..wholly crap that would be cool!

LFO to midi out and being able to choose the CC number it modulates on the outside would be killer.
James Johnson
www.james-johnson.net

It would be great if VAZ Modular could send cv out through a dc-coupled interface in the same way as Silent Way or Volta. In that way it could easily be integrated with an analog modular.

MadGav wrote:What are your thoughts on how CV to MIDI conversion should work? Taking into account polyphony...
Would you care to elucidate a bit? :)
I'd like to understand what you have in mind a little better...
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

So far I've made a couple of simple prototype MIDI out modules:

MIDI Ctrl Out: takes an input and has control number and channel settings. At present it only samples voice 1 as MIDI controls are global to a channel. I'm wondering if a Multi mode where each voice produces MIDI on a different channel would be useful.

MIDI Note Out: takes pitch, gate and velocity inputs, along with a channel setting. Note on and off are generated when the gate goes high and low, at present from voice 1 only. Pitch and velocity are sampled for note on. The obvious next step is to make this work polyphonically, I'm also thinking of a Multi mode where each voice produces MIDI on a different channel so that pitch bend can be sent to track pitch changes between note on and note off.

MIDI is available to higher numbered synths and to plugins in the insert slots of the same and higher channels than the synth. MIDI controllers are also looped back to the same synth to allow modulation of parameters with no modulation input (i.e. Equalizer parameters). Obvious next steps here are MIDI output to hardware for the standalone version, and VST MIDI output for the plugin.

Martin

Thanks for clarifying things. I don't have anything to add regarding practicalities as such, but it's clear that these mods would open up VM a lot. There have been plenty of requests for some kind of midi out, particularly from the sequencers so that would be a big plus if it came to fruition. Also, I seem to recall that I once made a request for some kind of CC generating module to control currently non-modulatable parameters, so it seems you have that covered here:
MIDI controllers are also looped back to the same synth to allow modulation of parameters with no modulation input (i.e. Equalizer parameters).
...so that's a big thumbs up from me.
All in all, some exciting additions me thinks. :D

Mart.
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

this all sounds great, although im a bit out of my league re suggesting features here.
come on you ..... lets have some aphex acid.

Return to “VAZ Synths”