CS80 "poly-mono"sustain mode?

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

I wonder if it's possible to get the typical mono-sustain from the Yamaha CS-80 in VAZ Modular? You can also find it in Arturia's CS80V.

The sound behaves like you play a mono-synth, but it's polyphonic.

I hope you know what I mean :)

I don't know what you mean ;)

Martin

From Synthmuseum.com: The sustain selector switches between two types of sustain (which is not "sustain" as we know it, but rather affects envelope release). The first setting (I) lets a note decay normally. What is very cool is the second (II) sustain mode . In most synths, you can't have a long release on a polyphonic lead sound because you end up with a blur of notes. In sustain mode II hitting a new key, after letting go of all keys, kills sustaining notes. This lets you play sustained chords and leads together, an effect unknown to any other synth. Sustain can also be turned off and on via a foot-switch (much like a piano's sustain pedal).

Sustain mode II is the one I want to recreate :)

PolyOr to create a gate when any key is down
Create a fixed length pulse from this
Make the pulse 0/high
Apply -ve modulation to release of a SuperEnvelope

The handwaving concept is the first key down triggers a short drop in the release time for all voices.

Martin

MadGav wrote:PolyOr to create a gate when any key is down
Create a fixed length pulse from this
Make the pulse 0/high
Apply -ve modulation to release of a SuperEnvelope

The handwaving concept is the first key down triggers a short drop in the release time for all voices.

Martin
Thank you! I'm glad it's possible to make it!

I really try to understand how you mean, but I have to admit I don't.
I would be very thankful if you could post a small patch, only with the routings you're explaining above.

Best regards,
Kire

I've uploaded an attempt at Sustain II.

Martin

Thank you Martin! :)

Here's a little test with the settings in one of my CS80 patches. Polyphonic aftertouch and now sustain II! :P

http://kiresounds.se/downloads/cs80sustainII.mp3

I'm closing my eyes and running with the blade! :roll:

I've just made a new module Hold, which will substitute nicely for the Slope in my demo preset. Hold is a gate hold / trigger delay: it will extend a gate by a set (modulateable) amount, which could be used with an Envelope to mimic the Korg MS-20 Envelope 2. It also has an End output which fires a trigger when gate output goes low (effectively a trigger delay). Hold and Slope modules can be combined to mimic the Delay function on a Wiard Envelator module.

Martin

Nice!!! :)

By the way, is it possible to create a reversed saw-osc (ramp) in VAZ?

Cheers!

Use an Inverter?

Martin

Thank's again! :oops:

Return to “VAZ Synths”