VAZ Plus 2.10 beta 5 released

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Update: beta 5 is out, with x2 oversample setting

VAZ Plus 2.10 alpha 1 is now available for download from vaz-synths.com. This is a rebuild of VAZ Plus against the VAZ Modular 3 and VAZ 2010 2 codebase, giving a high chance of bugs and hence the alpha status! It includes fixes for Windows 7 / Vista compatibility which were previously available for the other synths.

Martin
Last edited by MadGav on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.

excellent news! can this be installed straight over vaz plus 2.02 or is it recommended to uninstall it first?

I believe it will install over the top, would be great if you test it!

Martin

some initial findings (will test more tomorrow after some sleep!)

in reaper version 3.66:

the good...

automation now appears to be working fine - i can open and close the gui while automation is being read/track is playing. the corresponding parameters do not 'move' on the gui though - not sure if that is intended or not.

the bad...

when the plugin is first opened the sawtooth wave can be heard but the filter cut off is fully closed on the gui. when you start to move the filter cut off slider it seems to become active and no sound can be heard until you move the slider towards the fully open position (hope that makes sense).

also when you first open the plugin... when you move the waveshape modulation slider it has a similar effect on the sound as the waveshape slider (can't remember if this was the case with the previous version) - even though there is nothing assigned to control it - happens with both oscillators.

there is definitely something funky going on with cpu usage/polyphony in reaper - as you start to play notes on the keyboard the cpu increases to around 4% (i have a 2.33 ghz core 2 duo processor) but it doesn't decrease after you stop playing. it is as if it is registering the amplitude release as being infinite. the only way to bring it down to around zero is by pressing play then stop on the transport (some kind of 'flushing' problem going on there?). if i decrease the polyphony to 8 and repeat the same 'test' the cpu increases to around 2% and stays there until play and stop are pressed on the transport. it also seems to affect portamento - with a polyphony of 2 or higher there is very odd behaviour (just have a play around with it to find out - it's hard to describe - will post an audio file if needed)

the cpu usage problem is the same in podium (except the cpu usage does not drop to zero after the transport is played and then stopped) and it is also the same for the standalone version.

the dxi version crashes reaper as soon as it is loaded.

if you click on the very top pixels of the gui you can grab it and move it within reapers or podiums gui window - not sure if this is intended behaviour.

I've just uploaded alpha 2 which fixes the cpu issue (which was due to voices being shut down in dynamic processing mode), the window moving bug, and also the LFO phases not being updated correctly for inactive voices.

I didn't reproduce the slider not moving thing in Reaper using MIDI control of cutoff i.e. the cutoff slider was moving, but it also didn't crash on me :D Neither did I have the cutoff mismatch problem when initially loading the plugin in Reaper. The DXi I'm minded to leave for now... I'm not sure if it's in "real world" use these days, are there any DXi-not-VSTi hosts left?

Martin

Hi Martin,

things are looking very good! really pleased that automation is working :) although the sliders still don't move while the automation is being written/read.

scratch my comments about portamento - i just compared it to how it behaves in version 2.02 and it is the same - perhaps that is how polyphonic portamento is meant to sound? (i would only ever use it monophonically anyhow).

still getting the thing where the filter cutoff slider is set at zero upon startup but i can hear the oscillator as if the filter is fully open - and ocassionally it will also sound as if the amplitude sustain is set at zero at startup (so just a very short blip is heard) even though the sustain slider is set at full (all the way to the right). these are both remedied if i simply grab the filter cutoff/sustain slider and move it so not really a problem - just something slightly screwy going on there.

i also compared the waveshape modulation slider behaviour when nothing is assigned to it with version 2.02 and it has the same behaviour - i guess this is intended? either way it doesn't affect anything - i just thought it might be doing something it shouldn't ;)

cheeky request time...

1. an oversampling option on the vst version would be awesome as i do get some audible aliasing at fairly extreme high end notes at 44.1 kHz.

2. i do find the filter to be a bit 'steppy' on fast automation changes - is there any way that this could be made smoother at some point in the future?

apart from that your synth is close to perfection for me!

thanks ;)

p.s. i don't personally have a need for a dxi version. i wonder if anyone else does?

Can you give me a 1-line summary of parameter automation in reaper?

X2 oversample is currently a 2010/mod feature. I've experimented with reducing filter stepping but it's not in any production code yet.

Martin

MadGav wrote:Can you give me a 1-line summary of parameter automation in reaper?
sorry, i'm not sure what you mean there?

MadGav wrote: X2 oversample is currently a 2010/mod feature. I've experimented with reducing filter stepping but it's not in any production code yet.

Martin
no worries with oversampling - i can always change the samplerate or use chris waltons free oversampler :) (or upgrade vaz!)

the swing options for the sequencer didn't go unnoticed either - great addition :D

I was after a quick description of how to program parameter automation in reaper.

Martin

MadGav wrote:I was after a quick description of how to program parameter automation in reaper.

Martin
once you have vaz loaded in a track left click on the 'env' button above the 'fx' button on the mixer strip. this will bring up a list of the parameters - click on the empty white box to the left of the relevant parameter. this will result in a parameter track in the sequencer. now, right click on the 'env' button and tick 'write' then you can hit record and play away. tick 'read' to play it back (i think it does this automatically by default in reaper when you stop recording).

try using both the slider in the automation track and the slider on the gui to record the automation - i have been getting different results for both:

1.using reapers own automation slider - automation recorded in sequencer automation lane but not as midi cc in midi editor - gui slider does not move when played back

2.using gui slider controlled with mouse - automation is not recorded either in automation lane or as midi cc in midi editor

3.gui slider controlled with midi slider on my CME M-Key keyboard - automation is recorded as midi cc in midi editor but not in automation lane - gui slider does move when played back

i hope this makes sense!

I've uploaded alpha 3 with fixes for patch loading with "load sequences" off and control movement during parameter automation. If this now crashes as the editor is closed/opened during automation it will narrow down what the problem is, or maybe just maybe it's OK :D

I still haven't seen any sign of the sliders in wrong positions bug, I suspect that could have something to do with automation...

Martin

all is looking good! the patch loading bug is indeed absent and i am getting gui animation with no crashing upon opening and closing the gui - the animation works for both parameter automation lanes and midi cc automation within the midi editor.

so all good so far ;)

Are you still getting the slider in wrong place thing on startup? That is I think the only unresolved bug?

Martin

Return to “VAZ Synths”