Live 8 complains "Vas Modular not installed correctly!" and stand alone is distorted.

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm on Windows 7, Live 8.1.1. I'll try it at home on my Vista 64 machine, but here it seems really broken.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

OK, I did manage to get the demo working on my Vista 64 machine, but not without issues. I'm on Live 8.1.3

If I go to "options" click around and choose "cancel" I think get an error about an "unexpected exception..." and then it stops producing sound. I also get random errors on all three Vaz plugs but I can dismiss them with no issue.

A large percentage of the presets are distorting internally. Bringing down the level of the oscs helps.

I also have a few questions. Is this the amount of presets the plug ins come with?

If you get Vaz Modular, can you use the presets from 2010 and Plus?

Vaz Modular is, I think, the most expensive VA software out there. It's audio engine sounds superb, but I'm a bit taken back by the instability. At a time when Tassman is selling for $99 I expect a rock solid bit of software for $300.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:I expect a rock solid bit of software for $300.
never had it crash in 6 years or so, across at least four different PCs, three major operating systems and several years of about six different hosts. try checking it on another system or in another host before pointing fingers.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:I expect a rock solid bit of software for $300.
never had it crash in 6 years or so, across at least four different PCs, three major operating systems and several years of about six different hosts. try checking it on another system or in another host before pointing fingers.
I did. I first installed the demo on a Windows 7 machine. That was a complete failure. The stand along worked a little but only put out a horrific distorted sound. Then it wouldn't close so I had to force quite it. I started it today and it seems to be working but I had to change from Directsound to MME. Also, just try loading up JK Moog 62 and tell me it's not distorting all over the place in a bad way. When I try and close it it says, "Access violation at address 00000000. Read of address 00000000." Then I get the Windows 7 blue hula hoop that never goes away. So it kind of works as a stand alone...

...but I don't want to run it as a stand alone.

Live 8 complains it didn't install properly and I tried twice. Try it in another host? Why? This is the host I own and use. My system's pretty vanilla, as things go and I have plug ins from pretty much ever major developer humming along with no problems. Vaz is the only plug in I've had this much trouble with.
Zerocrossing Media

Oh, by the way, it's not just me. From the person who suggested Vaz to me on Gearslutz.com:

"I had a similar experience with vaz modular and vaz 2010 so i plumped for vaz plus 2 (runs absolutely fine - i use it in reaper and podium in vista). give the vaz plus 2 demo a try"
Zerocrossing Media

I have Windows 7 Pro x64, it doesn't work in Live 8 here either. Works fine as standalone and in Audiomulch, Reaper and Bidule. So it seems somewhere in the mix of Live, the OS and Vaz there is an issue.

i had that problem in Live. Try running Live again in Administrator mode, that's what fixed it for me.

auricle wrote:i had that problem in Live. Try running Live again in Administrator mode, that's what fixed it for me.
Ah, brilliant. That did it for me. That's all I wanted. Just a little tip.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote: Also, just try loading up JK Moog 62 and tell me it's not distorting all over the place in a bad way.
OK, this is odd. On my work machine (the Windows 7 Box) I don't get the distortion. Could it be a conflict with my MOTU 828? Here at work I'm just using the crappy built in audio card.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote:Could it be a conflict with my MOTU 828?
That would be the best place to start looking, good chance the buffer settings need adjusting.

shamann wrote:
That would be the best place to start looking, good chance the buffer settings need adjusting.
No, it's not that sound. I'm no where near the top of my CPU when this is happening. Also, it goes away by lowering levels in the plug in, which wouldn't point to a buffer problem. I'll try it, but I seriously doubt it's the problem. If it is... it might be a deal breaker because I have my system set up where the latency is just where I can ignore it.
Zerocrossing Media

I think the access violation at shutdown is a help system bug which is fixed in recent full version betas.

The Live 8 thing is I think because Live 8 says it is UAC compliant, but VAZ plugins aren't... fix for this is in my head.

The behaviour with the 828 it's hard to say.

Martin

MadGav wrote:I think the access violation at shutdown is a help system bug which is fixed in recent full version betas.

The Live 8 thing is I think because Live 8 says it is UAC compliant, but VAZ plugins aren't... fix for this is in my head.

The behaviour with the 828 it's hard to say.

Martin
I have UAC off on my machine at home (Vista 64) but I was still getting some errors. None of them seemed to do anything bad, but I was able to over and over again get it to crash if I chose Menu/Options/Preferences (a bit redundant, no?) Clicked though the tabs and then selected "Cancel." That behavior isn't happening on my work machine, a 64 bit Windows 7 machine.

The clipping thing is weird. Weird that I don't get here at work but I do get it at home. I'm not sure it is the 828, but that's the one big thing I see as a difference. Again, it's not the sound of my processor crapping out. The Vaz stuff seems good in the CPU department and I've got a quad core Core Duo II running at 2.5 gighz. I'll try and make a recording and post it.
Zerocrossing Media

Oh yeah, it happens here on the Windows 7 box too. When I tried to open a bank it gave me a warning that it was disabled and when I return to the plug it no longer makes sound. I've got to take the instance out and then bring it back. (Vaz2010)
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote:
shamann wrote:
No, it's not that sound. I'm no where near the top of my CPU when this is happening. Also, it goes away by lowering levels in the plug in, which wouldn't point to a buffer problem. I'll try it, but I seriously doubt it's the problem. If it is... it might be a deal breaker because I have my system set up where the latency is just where I can ignore it.
Here little distortion... here boy... where are you little annoyance...

Uh... ghost in the machine? I'm trying my best to get the distortion recorded... but I can't for the l life of me make it happen! :oops: Well, unless I do something stupid like mess with the mixer in a bad way. WTF? I was sober! I SWEAR!

Now if only the person hadn't flaked on a bit of gear I was selling I'd have Vaz Modular in my greedy little hands... but it looks like it's going to be a Vaz Plus 4th of July.
Zerocrossing Media

Return to “VAZ Synths”