Any Hope of a Text Search for Presets?

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

One thing I'd love to see in some future Valhalla set of updates would be a text search for presets. Sometimes I just want to try out some "Snare" presets or "vocal" presets. Currently, there may be some Snare presets in the Rooms folder, some more in the Plates folder, Hall, Gated, etc. Using the Exponential stuff, I'll usually key in on a specific keyword, then audition the presets in the search results until I find one that's close to what I want and start tweaking. That process is more cumbersome in the Valhalla verbs due to the lack of a search function.

I imagine:

1. There's a search bar near the preset name
2. User enters keyword, hits enter
3. Preset list becomes pre-populated with only presets that include that search term
4. Users can click the right or left arrow buttons on their keyboard (or Next/Previous arrows on the GUI) to go from preset to preset
5. User would select the text and hit backspace to clear the search (or maybe a clear button)

Bonus points if we could tag presets and/or enter comments.

Most effect plugins wouldn't necessarily benefit from this kind of search functionality but reverb is one of the few that does IMO.

Now Komplete Kontrol 2 supports fx we have started adding fx patches to the database, with controller mappings of course. I have made templates for all Valhalla fx and another NI forum member (Cooner) converted the presets for Valhalla Plate and is doing the rest using the templates - all collected together here (in the user fx folder):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ulf40cicmwzu ... ChOwa?dl=0

This makes them text searchable and taggable too but the tagging is not refined enough for specific uses like 'snare' so text is probably the best approach still here (although I can look at refining the tags a bit tomorrow - problem is unless the name specifies how do you know? - what one person thinks is suitable for a snare another may prefer for something else)

I don't think that the existing Valhalla plugins would benefit from text search of the presets, as the presets aren't named in a uniform fashion. In order to make this work, the preset names would have to be designed from the ground up to work with text search, i.e. "Medium Drum Room," "Dark Vocal Hall," that sort of thing. "HomestarBladeRunner" wouldn't make sense in that schema.

My direction for future plugins is for simpler control sets, and parameters that are easy to understand and tweak. The Exponential Audio plugins are amazing sounding, but have a LOT of parameters, and are gaining more parameters over time. They also ship with over 1200 presets. In such a case, text search makes a lot of sense. I'd rather ship plugins with fewer parameters and a smaller number of useful presets, where the parameters allow the user to quickly get the sound they need.

Hello,

As an aside, you use a "printdir.bat" batch file to print out the contents of either an entire folder or individual folder contents. You can then either print these out for a visual reverence, create a text file for searches, or use a spreadsheet.

For example, "dir /b > list.txt", will create a list.txt file of all of the data located with that folder, and "dir /b /s > list.txt", will create a list.txt file everything located within a particular folder. You can obtain a listing of all the "dir" switches using "dir /?" from the cmd prompt.

Hope you find this helpful.

Return to “Valhalla DSP”