ValhallaExistentialCrisis

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

elxsound wrote:Will the hypothetical plugin have multiple (different) modes of UI interaction based on "styles" within the plugin?
I'm gonna answer that question by talking about general design principles.

My goal with any future Valhalla plugins is to make them as simple to use as possible. This means:

- all controls on the front page (i.e. no "tabs")
- in cases where different modes might have different controls (i.e. knobs, sliders), switch those controls only, while sharing as many common controls as possible
- if different modes have different controls, all of the controls will be exposed in the automation view at all times, instead of switching what a control does between different modes. In other words, a delay control in milliseconds will always display milliseconds in the automation view, even if it gets swapped out for a delay sync control when appropriate.

Different delays have different controls. Most hardware delays are simple - more simple than you could get away with in a plugin. Hardware delays also have different ways of controlling what would seem like the same parameters. For example, the Memory Man 1100-TT (to pick a unit that might hypothetically be sitting 2 feet from me) has modulation rate and depth, while the RE-201 (to pick a unit that might hypothetically be sitting 4 feet from me) has NO explicit control over modulation rate and depth, as these are a factor of tape speed, the tape head(s) selected, and the wear of the tape.

Ideally, a plugin would allow for these differences to be accommodated, while having a GUI that is so simple that it seems like "duh, of COURSE that's how things should work." If I do my job as a GUI designer right, it should look like I was really lazy at my job, and went for the most obvious solutions. :D

Anyone else here follow Don Gunn on Instagram?

(hint, hint)

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Anyone else here follow Don Gunn on Instagram?

(hint, hint)

Oooo... what is that

dangayle wrote:

(hint, hint)

Oooo... what is that

consider me hypothetically excited

chuckwood wrote:
dangayle wrote:

(hint, hint)

Oooo... what is that

consider me hypothetically excited
I am hypothetically hyped - I hope it's nearing arrival :)

It would be awesome if this plug-in had a sound-on-sound looping mode like the one in the El Capistan where the loop repeats gradually degrade. Options to slow down/speed up and reverse the loop would also be cool. Is it something you would consider including in the hypothetical product?

Return to “Valhalla DSP”