Valhalla delay?

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Was just skimming through this thread. I know this has been requested of you for a long time. glad to hear there is work being done. Only thing I have to offer is I haven't seen any mention of the most important thing about a tape delay. The tape. All the compression, gluing, and dynamics come from the tape. Just a thought. Good luck on your venture.

*DELETED*
Last edited by jonasnymose on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

I have an Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy pedal, which is one of their cheaper bucket brigade stomp boxes. One of the immediate differences to the larger, more luxurious versions (with nicer, more expensive chips) is that the highs are cut off more drastically.

It's pretty audible here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06ucVJPa4qg

What's really really cool though is:
- put it in a feedback state that would start to self-osscilate after 3 or 4 repeats
- send a kick - snare pattern from a drum machine (analogue, think drumbrute or 808)
- the kick and other stuff will repeat and mush into thick feedback, but whenever the snare comes in, its broad spectral impact sort of "clears" the bucket brigade and the feedback starts to build anew

I wonder if tape delays exhibit the same quirk - when you get your hands on a memory boy, check it out! quite quirky and interesting. :)

some option to flush the memory of the delay plugin would be very cool.

groovelastig wrote:I have an Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy pedal, which is one of their cheaper bucket brigade stomp boxes. One of the immediate differences to the larger, more luxurious versions (with nicer, more expensive chips) is that the highs are cut off more drastically.

It's pretty audible here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06ucVJPa4qg
I have the 1100-TT Memory Man used in that video. For me, the Memory Man is the perfect amount of dark.

The Memory Boy series uses 1/2 of the number of BBDs to get the same delay length as the Memory Man series. In order to do this, the antialiasing filters have to be set to 1/2 the frequency. This results in a MUCH darker sound for the Memory Boy. The smaller Moog delay has the same thing going on: a fairly long delay for a low price, but with a SUPER DARK repeat.
What's really really cool though is:
- put it in a feedback state that would start to self-osscilate after 3 or 4 repeats
- send a kick - snare pattern from a drum machine (analogue, think drumbrute or 808)
- the kick and other stuff will repeat and mush into thick feedback, but whenever the snare comes in, its broad spectral impact sort of "clears" the bucket brigade and the feedback starts to build anew

I wonder if tape delays exhibit the same quirk - when you get your hands on a memory boy, check it out! quite quirky and interesting. :)

some option to flush the memory of the delay plugin would be very cool.
The Memory Man has the same sort of thing going on. Get things to be barely self oscillating, then add a louder signal in there. The louder signal drives out the quieter signal. Tape echoes do this, but to a lesser degree.

This is the sort of thing that will let me figure out if my modeled delays are working correctly. Having a new loud input signal "crowd out" the older self-oscillation is a big part of the behavior of these older delays, so any digital model needs to do the same thing.

Dasheesh wrote:Was just skimming through this thread. I know this has been requested of you for a long time. glad to hear there is work being done. Only thing I have to offer is I haven't seen any mention of the most important thing about a tape delay. The tape. All the compression, gluing, and dynamics come from the tape. Just a thought. Good luck on your venture.

+1

Any progress on this plugin, Sean? :)

HcDoom wrote:Any progress on this plugin, Sean? :)
Any hypothetical Delay plugin has been delayed. Life has been a bit crazy as of late. Work continues, but at a slower pace than I would like.

At some point, I want to start blogging about some of the things I have figured out. Not giving away any algorithms or secret sauce - more along the lines about those weird little things that make a tape echo cool, or why a BBD sounds different.

valhallasound wrote:
HcDoom wrote:Any progress on this plugin, Sean? :)
Any hypothetical Delay plugin has been delayed. Life has been a bit crazy as of late. Work continues, but at a slower pace than I would like.

At some point, I want to start blogging about some of the things I have figured out. Not giving away any algorithms or secret sauce - more along the lines about those weird little things that make a tape echo cool, or why a BBD sounds different.
Hi Sean, just checking in - how has your summer been going? Hope you are well, your plugins give me and other folks so much joy! :tu:

Since this glorious delay seems to be a long way ahead I went to the store to try a lot of digital pedals available. The timeline is showing its age already, it was my choice before going to the store but I came home with an Empress Echosystem, I really recommend everyone to try it, the tape machines sound really good.

And you can have two different algos running in parallel, series or L/R, crazy fun.
dedication to flying

valhallasound wrote:
xx JPRacer xx wrote:Considering you seem to be in the research stage I presume we wont see the plugin until about late 2017?
2017 for sure. Not sure how late in the year. Hopefully earlier rather than later.
OK, 2017 didn't turn out the way I planned. See "ValhallaExistentialCrisis" thread.

Oh I saw it! :hyper:
:tu:

Return to “Valhalla DSP”