Valhalla delay?

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I forgot to mention that I was able to try an RE-501 last week. Running it in Sound On Sound mode was fun. Feeding it with an Oberheim Two Voice Pro was even more fun. What a gorgeous synth.

Thanks Sean, you always go the extra mile to explain stuff.

Any way, I was trying to recreate Nils Frahm "Says" but it is kind of impossible without the SoS of the RE501,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLNeZogTsK8

There a lot of takes where you can see the settings of the 501.

I am going to check El capistan also.
dedication to flying

Just added an RE-201 to the menagerie:

I had one of those in Japan, was a glorious machine!

I came home one day to find my flatmate/bandmate had hocked my space echo for a bag of weed.
I still haven't forgiven him.

sqigls wrote:I came home one day to find my flatmate/bandmate had hocked my space echo for a bag of weed.
Dang. That would be a LOT of weed nowadays.

I would never forgive that person, either. Sorry that happened to you!

sqigls wrote:I came home one day to find my flatmate/bandmate had hocked my space echo for a bag of weed.
Wow, you're a better man than me, in a situation like that, I'd likely be
the one in need of forgiving... For putting that other guy in the hospital :oops:

valhallasound wrote:
Dang. That would be a LOT of weed nowadays.

I would never forgive that person, either. Sorry that happened to you!

Neither would I, I mean what is the use of having a bag of weed if one don't have any space to echo... makes no sense

valhallasound wrote:Just added an RE-201 to the menagerie:

Beautiful R&D write-off!

Winstontaneous wrote:
valhallasound wrote:Just added an RE-201 to the menagerie:

Beautiful R&D write-off!
Exactly. Lord knows that I don't need 4 tape echoes to make music. For personal purposes, I'd keep the DMM 1100TT, DM-2w, and maybe the RE-201.

Honestly, real tape echoes are a pain in the butt to keep running. The sound is way cool, but the tape loops are always deteriorating, the parts go out of alignment or lose their tension, the 40+ year old electronics fail, and so forth.

valhallasound wrote: Honestly, real tape echoes are a pain in the butt to keep running. The sound is way cool, but the tape loops are always deteriorating, the parts go out of alignment or lose their tension, the 40+ year old electronics fail, and so forth.
I guess that's the next frontier in "true analog modeling" - specs keep drifting, then you have to send your plugin back to the developer for a refurb. Eventually just a bunch of dilapidated 0s and 1s you set out on the street corner or drop off at the Goodwill. :help:

How's the DM-2W then Sean? Used to have a DM-2, so thinking about picking one up if my Blacet Time Machine doesn't cure the BBD lust.

Hermetech Mastering wrote:How's the DM-2W then Sean? Used to have a DM-2, so thinking about picking one up if my Blacet Time Machine doesn't cure the BBD lust.
I have a DM-2 as well. The DM-2W has 2 modes, one of which sounds identical to my DM-2. The other mode has (more than?) 2X the delay. There's also an input for expression control of the delay time. I'm not sure if this works with CV as well, or just pedals, but either way it is cool. Both of the modes do that insane squealing self-oscillation thing that the original DM-2 does.

Excellent! Yes, I miss the UFO oscillating sounds of my old DM-2. :) I'll add the W to my wishlist.

The RE-201 is much different sounding than the RE-301. I'm starting to wonder if the tape mechanism in the RE-201 was just less stable than the RE-301. Lots more random pitch variation on the 201 and more of a pitch lurch when the splice point comes around. And this is with a fairly minty 201, with fresh tape.

The other RE-201s I have tried either have a LOT more wow/flutter/tape lurch, or just didn't work unless you physically gave the tape a tug. This makes me think that the tape mechanism itself was pretty touchy. The RE-301 seems more robust, but there aren't as many interesting artifacts in the sound - more of a periodic wow.

The Echoplex EP-3 sounds closer to the 201 than the 201 does to the 301. Which is a bit of a surprise. Both units have similar amounts of highpass filtering, and similar amounts of randomness in the pitch.

This is for fixed echo times, mind you. The Echoplexes all have a crazy weird artifact when changing the delay time. Going from shorter to longer times, you get a more standard pitch drop. Going from longer to shorter delay times, the delay JUMPS. The delay time change is itself delayed by the delay time. Which is weird.

Not much to say about the Korg Stage Echo. My copy has a totally busted tape loop, which causes some really cool companding artifacts (the Stage Echo is my only tape delay that uses companding, which is something that the Roland RE-501 used as well). At some point, I'll swap in some fresh tape, to hear what a clean version of the Stage Echo sounds like. For now, the artifacts are more interesting for my work.

Return to “Valhalla DSP”