Valhalla delay?

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Considering you seem to be in the research stage I presume we wont see the plugin until about late 2017?

xx JPRacer xx wrote:Considering you seem to be in the research stage I presume we wont see the plugin until about late 2017?
2017 for sure. Not sure how late in the year. Hopefully earlier rather than later.

I'm totally jealous of that DMM 1100-TT. I have a Deluxe Memory Boy and have been planning get a 550-TT. I'd swap out the BBDs for some of the NOS MN3005s. I may also get some of these, so I can keep the old Panasonic ones for another project. I think the current EHX pedals are currently using Xvive parts anyway.

justin3am wrote:I'm totally jealous of that DMM 1100-TT. I have a Deluxe Memory Boy and have been planning get a 550-TT. I'd swap out the BBDs for some of the NOS MN3005s. I may also get some of these, so I can keep the old Panasonic ones for another project. I think the current EHX pedals are currently using Xvive parts anyway.
The Deluxe Memory Man 1100-TT is TOTALLY worth the relatively high price, IMO. I had originally purchased a straight up Deluxe Memory Man. It sounded fantastic. Fantastic enough that I started wanting tap tempo and adjustable mod rate/depth. I took the DMM back to the store, and A/Bed it with the 1100-TT. The 1100-TT had a pretty much identical sound to the DMM, just with more features and control over the modulation.

A lot of these delays are things that I will probably sell once my R&D is done. The DMM 1100-TT is something I'm going to hold on to. Amazing BBD sound quality, with long enough delays to substitute for digital delays for some applications.

I haven't opened up my 1100-TT, but it is a recent purchase, so my guess is that it uses the Xvive BBDs. They sound great. A lot of the BBD sound isn't due to the specific BBD used, so much as all the supporting circuitry. Those steep lowpass filters, and the NE570/571 companders, add a lot of character to the delay sound.

valhallasound wrote:A lot of the BBD sound isn't due to the specific BBD used, so much as all the supporting circuitry. Those steep lowpass filters, and the NE570/571 companders, add a lot of character to the delay sound.
Understood! Yeah, I recently built a delay based on the PT2395 (not the more common 2399) and it became a totally different beast after I added a NE570 as described here. I just kept the feedback loop open, so I can add filters as I please. I still need to work on implementing a CD4046 as the clock, so I can modulate the delay time. Once I have a better grasp on that circuit, I think I'll be more comfortable diving into a BBD design.

But I digress... I'd love a studio-grade, stereo BBD with modern features (tap-tempo and such). If that delay comes in the form of a plug-in, I'm not bothered. :hihi:

a genuine stereo bucket brigade would make me cream my shorts.

That DMM with extra bling looks great (dreams of putting a frequency shifter in the feedback path...)

sqigls wrote:a genuine stereo bucket brigade would make me cream my shorts.
Wow! What a cool phrase. In Germany we would say: Ich piss mir in die Hose (I'll piss into my trousers). This forum improves my English essentially! :hyper: :clap: 8)

Weederhosen

It would be really cool to have adjustable cross-feedback between two freely pannable delays like in FabFilter Timeless. I haven't seen that in any other delay plugin.

This is a great thread. Delay heaven awaits.

sqigls wrote:a genuine stereo bucket brigade would make me cream my shorts.
BRING ME A BUCKET !

:D
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

valhallasound wrote:The Deluxe Memory Man 1100-TT is TOTALLY worth the relatively high price, IMO.
I just received my DMM 1100-TT. I can't wait to run my MF-103 through it's feedback loop!
I also have a Memory Boy and a Deluxe Memory Boy. I thought that the DMM would completely replace them but there is something endearing about their dark, lofi repeats.

As much as I appreciate hi-fi sound when I need it, I always hope for more options when it comes to lofi character.

I can't find any plug in that emulates de Sound on Sound setting on the Roland RE 501, how you do it manually? If it can't be done currently for sure that is something I would like to see in a new delay by Valhalla.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:I can't find any plug in that emulates de Sound on Sound setting on the Roland RE 501, how you do it manually? If it can't be done currently for sure that is something I would like to see in a new delay by Valhalla.
Honestly, you wouldn't want to see an EXACT emulation of the RE301/501 Sound on Sound setting. It sounds great, but it loops somewhere between 10 and 30 seconds. The exact timing is dependent on the speed of the motor (which you set using the Repeat Rate knob) and the length of the tape loop in the 301/501. So syncing to any sort of tempo is impossible. Great for beatless ambient stuff, not so great for layering phrases.

A "Sound On Sound" mode, to me, would have the following:

- Longer buffers than a standard tape mode. This is more of a programming thing. The standard 1-2 second buffers used for "conventional" delays will fit into the cache of modern CPUs. A 30 second buffer won't. So the CPU will go up when using the longer buffers. Having the SoS mode being separate from the other modes allows the computer to switch between shorter and longer buffers, and also sets the expectations for the user that the CPU for SoS will be higher.
- Sync-able, by bars or other meaningful ways of measuring more time.
- Tape saturation, wow, flutter, etc. Think early Frippertronics, but with a beat up tape loop, instead of the fresh tape reels used in the Revox A77 by Fripp and Eno. The A77s were very low wow and flutter, and adding a bit more grunge to the loop sounds awesome.
- Feedback that controls how the loop fades away. This is the cool thing about delay based looping: the composition evolves over time, versus just building up in a fixed buffer. The tonal transformations of the loop filtering also help this.

The Strymon El Capitan has a sound on sound mode, where the looping can be determined by tapping at the loop point. It sounds fantastic. I love plugging my MS20 Mini into my El Capitan, and looping away.

Return to “Valhalla DSP”