Valhalla delay?

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Simple delay? Just copy the region... there you go.

At the moment I just love EchoBoy. And I don't yet see a reason to get another not-so-simple delay, for example Repeater that will be soon released.

Looking forward to what Sean is going to come up with all the different delays. Maybe it will replace or complement EchoBoy.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Just to offer some completely unsolicited advice, I'd ;pve to see a fairly simple (feature-wise), great-sounding delay would have features like:

1. A few delay modes (Echoplex Tape, Space Echo, BBD, a clean digital delay, a modulated/chorused delay, and maybe a pitch delay)
2. The usual time, feedback (including self-oscillating), tempo sync, knobs, etc.
3. Input/output gain, HP/LP filters
4. A Space Echo-like Spring reverb (just a simple reverb level knob)
5. A ping-pong delay mode (heck, dual mono might even be cool on some of the more colorful modes)
6. Maybe a swing mode

Nothing crazy. Echoboy is close, but the UI gets in the way IMO and it probably goes a little too far in terms of having too many modes. I want something that's in between an RE-201 (with the spring) with Dubstation's simplicity and some of Echoboy's cooler modes without all the esoteric stuff. I'm hoping Sean will deliver.

sounds about right

One feature that I miss in most delays is an offset, i.e. the ability to rush or lag the taps. This can dramatically alter the feel of the delay, or (with more subtle amounts) just make it sit better in the mix. Another use is for diffused echoes, sometimes the slow attack requires a negative offset to keep the rhythm flowing (I really miss that feature in ubermod).

I know that this implies an additional delay line under the hood (just like for the swing feature), and that this can be achieved with two delays instances in a send, but the ability to quickly try an offset by adjusting a knob is a must for me.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Just to offer some completely unsolicited advice, I'd ;pve to see a fairly simple (feature-wise), great-sounding delay would have features like:

1. A few delay modes (Echoplex Tape, Space Echo, BBD, a clean digital delay, a modulated/chorused delay, and maybe a pitch delay)
2. The usual time, feedback (including self-oscillating), tempo sync, knobs, etc.
5. A ping-pong delay mode (heck, dual mono might even be cool on some of the more colorful modes)
6. Maybe a swing mode

Nothing crazy. Echoboy is close, but the UI gets in the way IMO and it probably goes a little too far in terms of having too many modes. I want something that's in between an RE-201 (with the spring) with Dubstation's simplicity and some of Echoboy's cooler modes without all the esoteric stuff. I'm hoping Sean will deliver.
I'm not sure wich direction Sean is going to go with this, but I'm hoping he's not too purist with regard to optional extras. To that end, I'd add:

7. Option of having sync'able delays

8. Built-in ducking (Preferably lockable, like the mix knob) while searching presets). Two if my current favourite delays (PSP Echo, ReplikaXT) incorporate this feature, and it's now an essential feature, imo

9. If any of the models will come in a 'dual' format, then please give us independent feedback, and mix, knobs

:D

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Just to offer some completely unsolicited advice, I'd ;pve to see a fairly simple (feature-wise), great-sounding delay would have features like:

I just got an Echoplex EP-3 on Tuesday. I broke it yesterday. :dog:

Seriously. Tape echoes F***ING SUCK. They break CONSTANTLY. My RE-301 is partly broken.

Unfortunately, tape echoes sound F***ING AWESOME. The wow, flutter, noise, distortion, etc., all add up to an amazing sound. So much depth in there.

I like pitch delays. I'm not sure that I could come out with a dedicated pitch shifter that could stand up to what Eventide currently has in the market. Dan Gillespie has really stepped up the plugin game over at Eventide in the last few years. However, coming up with a pitch shifting delay that can make cool screaming sounds when you turn up the feedback...yeah, I could do that.
Yup. If the self-oscillation doesn't howl like a banshee, what's the point?
Or a "drive" control that control both input and output gain at the same time. I'm always looking to save on the total number of knobs.
I'm going to go ahead and set some expectations here: any future delay plugin that I release WON'T have spring reverb. Coming up with a good spring reverb algorithm is just as much R&D as would be expended on tape/BBD emulation. Plus, I'd want any spring plugin to be able to explore the space to a much larger degree than a 1-knob reverb.
Yup. True stereo is nice as well.
6. Maybe a swing mode
I would need to spend a fair amount of time figuring out the delay time controls. Simple, yet powerful, would be the goal...of this completely hypothetical plugin that we are discussing. I like the way that Replika XT handles this: one knob controls all delay times, while a second parameter controls whether the knob is in ms, synced, etc.
Nothing crazy. Echoboy is close, but the UI gets in the way IMO and it probably goes a little too far in terms of having too many modes. I want something that's in between an RE-201 (with the spring) with Dubstation's simplicity and some of Echoboy's cooler modes without all the esoteric stuff.
EchoBoy is definitely the one to aspire to. That plugin is over 10 years old, and is still all kinds of awesome. The SoundToys folks do so many things RIGHT.

The one aspect I don't hear in EchoBoy is replicating the behavior of the older delays. The sound is amazing in EchoBoy, but when you switch to the Echoplex mode, it doesn't change the delay time in the weird way that you hear in an Echoplex (which is completely different than how a Space Echo responds when changing the delay time).
I'm hoping Sean will deliver.
Me too.

valhallasound wrote:
Or a "drive" control that control both input and output gain at the same time. I'm always looking to save on the total number of knobs.
I think this is one place where it's warranted to splurge on controls a bit. I commonly want to control the input level for the delay independently of the output. I know I can do so with a send/return and the delay 100% wet but it's nice if you can cut the input signal while letting the repeats trail off, even when used as an insert.

I'm a big fan of the routing options in Timeless 2, MFM2. For example, the effect of putting a filter in the feedback loop but after the wet output, so that the first repeat is not filtered. That may go against your design philosophy... :hihi: but perhaps you can find a simple way to address complex routing, in terms of feedback, panning and gain staging.

Love the Boss RPS-10 and RSD-10 by the way. They look much nice than mine. I have mismatched knobs and holes in the front panels. I love the sound and the fact that the pitch/delay time is controlled by a PLL. Such an awesomely bendable design. Also, is it me or is the companding on those delays kinda weird? They don't use an NE570 as far as I remember.

Would you consider doing a, like, ultra low clock speed or something like that? Or a way to do bends on the memory? Okay! Okay! I'll stop now! :lol:

valhallasound wrote:
I'm hoping Sean will deliver.
Me too.
We believe in Sean, you should as well. ;)
I make music like I play Tekken; randomly push buttons and hope for something good to happen.

valhallasound wrote:I'm going to go ahead and set some expectations here: any future delay plugin that I release WON'T have spring reverb. Coming up with a good spring reverb algorithm is just as much R&D as would be expended on tape/BBD emulation. Plus, I'd want any spring plugin to be able to explore the space to a much larger degree than a 1-knob reverb.
But, to the extent that these space delays use them, the one-knob reverb approach is perfect. And surely that r&d would not be wasted for the future 'ValhallaSpring' :shrug:

Definitely a shame, but I did hear rumours of Gsi one day possibly bringing the gs-201 back. Of course, then I'll have to buy both :cry:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
valhallasound wrote:I'm going to go ahead and set some expectations here: any future delay plugin that I release WON'T have spring reverb. Coming up with a good spring reverb algorithm is just as much R&D as would be expended on tape/BBD emulation. Plus, I'd want any spring plugin to be able to explore the space to a much larger degree than a 1-knob reverb.
But, to the extent that these space delays use them, the one-knob reverb approach is perfect. And surely that r&d would not be wasted for the future 'ValhallaSpring' :shrug:

Definitely a shame, but I did hear rumours of Gsi one day possibly bringing the gs-201 back. Of course, then I'll have to buy both :cry:
Those are my feelings too. To me, it's the combo of spring+ delay that makes those old Roland space delays and dub reggae records sound so great. It seems like such a Valhalla feature to add and would certainly make a Valhalla delay stand out compared to things like Replika, Echoboy and the likes. Definitely wouldn't need more than a level knob, and it could be an excellent precursor to a subsequent Valhalla spring plugin. That's me trying to change Sean's mind. :wink: I understand how the r&d effort might not make this the right time/plugin though. :cry:

FYI I'm also a gsi-201 owner hoping to see a 64bit version at some point.

Sean, any comment on the possibility of modulated/chorused delay? That's become one of my favorite modes on my TC delay pedal, and replicates some classic TC and Korg delay sounds.

Plus, it sounds awesome on guitar, even if it does make everything sound like the Edge.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Sean, any comment on the possibility of modulated/chorused delay? That's become one of my favorite modes on my TC delay pedal, and replicates some classic TC and Korg delay sounds.
A lot of my favorite delays (DMM-1100TT, Digitech RDS-8000, my old weird Peavey delay that was my first effect ever) have modulation rate and depth controls. So I'll have those in there.

Very cool Sean, I'm surprised there's so few VST delays with modulation built into the delay loop. That Deluxe MemoryMan-1100TT looks like a fabulous pedal but it's just too rich for my blood. The Flashback cost a third of that and is good enough for my lowly pedalboard. The ability to hook the Flashback up to your PC and "design" your own delay is pretty damn cool too.

Anyway, I'm very psyched for a ValhallaDelay. That'll be a day 1 purchase. Between your prices and quality, you've become the plugin equivalent of the band I just buy every release from without needing to hear anything from the album.

valhallasound wrote: I'm going to go ahead and set some expectations here: any future delay plugin that I release WON'T have spring reverb. Coming up with a good spring reverb algorithm is just as much R&D as would be expended on tape/BBD emulation. Plus, I'd want any spring plugin to be able to explore the space to a much larger degree than a 1-knob reverb.
It just occurred to me that there doesn't really seem to be a real send-return mechanism in plugin-land -- that is, you can't send the delay taps out to, say, FabFilter's EQ, or even a hardware getup, before going back into the feedback loop. Or is there?

Anyway I personally found Ubermod too complicated for the simple 1/8T or 1/4T ping-pongs that I generally need, so I bought Replika XT last night and like the results. I'd love to see your take on a 'real' delay though, whenever that may be.

Return to “Valhalla DSP”